Current state of the Marathon community in your opinion

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post Jul 29th '10, 18:08

(feel free to colour brightly)
ASS-HOLE.

:P
Fishman92

Post Aug 7th '10, 22:55

Holy smokes! What the hell happened? Is everyone dead or something? A few months ago this place was teeming with nerdy purdy stuff. Now everyone's either dead or have gone through some tough shit. Or traded a PC for a guitar(me)!
Toshiba Dynabook Satellite PAG4510PME
Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 3 (Japanese)
40GB HDD
512MB RAM

Still in full working condition....

Comokanu

Post Aug 7th '10, 23:06

I don't agree, this forum is very active, and I just finished a couple of 8 player games on A1.

ukimalefu

Post Nov 8th '10, 03:28

ukimalefu wrote:I don't agree, Hueqort is very active, and he just finished a couple of 8 player games on A1.

Fix'd
Just keep running, just keep shooting, just keep droppin' 'em dead.
Just keep going, just keep moving, just keep pumping that lead!
- Sung to the tune 'Aint we got fun?' by Van and Schneck 1921

Argh, I'm bored.
Hueqort

Post Nov 30th '10, 03:16

Prof.Hueqort wrote:Not Fix'd at all in any way whatsoever

Fixed your fix

TectonInd

Post Dec 9th '10, 02:56

Was writing something up like this in the PSP thread but it better fits here.

At the risk of insulting the entire community (intentionally ?), but have you thought of changing the alephone homepage to something more 'marathon'? With the mediawiki tables and all the source and licensing talk it looks more like a coding portal promoting GPL/open source development than a game/community website promoting a great and fun game, or rather, the holy grail of gaming as it is to some here.

As a newcomer I'd be like "[entering homepage] .... Aleph one... free software.... source... bungie.... public license... lua... opengl ... internet play... but what is it? Let's click the screenshot... oh, only one and a File History? No, back. Hm, let's try Content. Utilities lua markup language texture guide tips cross platform 3d models hastur workshop no no no back. Let's try... damn I'll just google or look at something else.". Now I must say I'm generally very impatient when it comes to browsing but you get the idea.

EDIT: And yeah, I understand source.bungie.org was originally just a part in a network, but search for 'marathon' or 'alephone' in google, or check out links from other sites, they lead to source.bungie.org as the main face for the games.
Last edited by Nigel on Dec 9th '10, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post Dec 9th '10, 03:31

source.bungie.org is actually the engine's home, not a game/community website.

If you would like to add descriptions of the three games to the download page, that would be the appropriate place for them.

It's a wiki, so feel free to add a screenshots page if you like. Cebix has a few on his Aleph One page: http://alephone.cebix.net/

Or an FAQ page, with "What is Marathon?" like Cebix has. But chances are, if you're on s.b.o., you know what Marathon is already.
Last edited by treellama on Dec 9th '10, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 9th '10, 04:03

Treellama wrote:source.bungie.org is actually the engine's home, not a game/community website.

If you would like to add descriptions of the three games to the download page, that would be the appropriate place for them.

It's a wiki, so feel free to add a screenshots page if you like. Cebix has a few on his Aleph One page: http://alephone.cebix.net/

Or an FAQ page, with "What is Marathon?" like Cebix has. But chances are, if you're on s.b.o., you know what Marathon is already.

Yeah, I figured it's the engine's home, or was originally, but it's linked to and visited as the game's home since well, the game is there. Actually I don't know any other Marathon 'home'.

Screenshots are no problem - got plenty of those, I could try a description... but as usual I'm making the impossible comment that I'm better at writing a CMS from scratch than getting things attractive with mediawiki markup :P.

What I'm thinking of is perhaps split things up again as was intended - leave source.bungie.org for development and create something for the community that involves what you'd expect from a game/community website: detailed description, news & announcements, tournaments/scores, latest maps, etc.

That's because I don't believe everyone who comes here knows the game. It's been 13 years since the last game came out, and it was all Mac only (except M2, but... yeah). Also, software websites where people find out about the game may just copy that
Aleph One is a free software first-person shooter game engine based on the source code of Bungie Software's 1995 game Marathon 2: Durandal. Aleph One supports Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity, a conversion of Marathon called M1A1, and numerous third party scenarios. Features include software and OpenGL renderers, Internet play, Lua scripting, and much more. Aleph One is available under the GNU General Public License.
Just google for the first sentence. Everyone knows Doom. Marathon? We wish, it's just another copypaste to them :/.

I'm not saying it's a bad description, I mean, it's factually correct and fits the development pages quite well. It's just nothing that a newcomer cares for. All that hard work on OpenGL, custom hi-poly scenarios, LUA scripting allowing extra gamemodes and full engine changes with your mods, modern internet play, etc means little to nothing to them who aren't enlightened. They just want to see a cool retro-game.

Wether I volunteer? If we can get some people together and work out some awesome idea, sure. I have a few years of PHP/SQL experience and I'm able to code something (secure) from scratch. (X)HTML/CSS have no secrets for me, and javascript... well, if it's needed I come up with something working but I usually ask jquery to do the dirty work if ajax calls and animations are involved. But that's one of the many areas where those other people would come in.

But let's add some screenshots first.... I'd be damned if there weren't more here in the distant past btw.
Nigel

Post Dec 9th '10, 04:10

Nigel wrote:Yeah, I figured it's the engine's home, or was originally, but it's linked to and visited as the game's home since well, the game is there. Actually I don't know any other Marathon 'home'.

marathon.bungie.org

Really, your whole rant should be addressed there.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 9th '10, 04:17

I've been following that page since... what was it, 2000? Doesn't address anything I have in mind, though I'm glad it's all still up.

But perhaps you're right about an 'About' and 'screenshots' being a lot more feasible for now.
Nigel

Post Dec 15th '10, 01:12

Windbreaker wrote:There's someone named Nigel here now? Cool.

I know I am so sick of Dylans.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 9th '11, 15:48

Nigel wrote:But let's add some screenshots first.... I'd be damned if there weren't more here in the distant past btw.

Good idea.

I'd especially like some screenshots of some special features, like automapping and terminals.

Automapping? That was common among 1990's FPSes, but it's rare in more recent ones. The Marathon engine, like other earlier FPSes, uses horizontal 2D extruded in the vertical direction. That makes it easy to implement automapping. Full-3D engines tend not to have automaps, which makes it easier to get lost in their levels. So one could showcase what delightfully complicated level geometries are made easier with it.

Terminals? For some people at least, reading can be very convenient -- you can read at your own pace.

lpetrich

Post Jan 10th '11, 01:26

@Nigel:

Y'know there's been talk of revamping the Marathon.Bungie.Org home page for a while now. Some talk of merging the AO wiki and Traxus together into a pan-Marathon B.org wiki right on the Marathon.Bungie.Org front page, some other talk about other design thoughts and things...

Point being, if you think there needs to be a better home page for Marathon, m.b.o. really is the place to put it, and if you put together something nice I can hook you up and get it put there. But step one is actually making something nice. You do that and then get back to me.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Jan 10th '11, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 10th '11, 03:09

Pfhorrest wrote:@Nigel:

Y'know there's been talk of revamping the Marathon.Bungie.Org home page for a while now. Some talk of merging the AO wiki and Traxus together into a pan-Marathon B.org wiki right on the Marathon.Bungie.Org front page, some other talk about other design thoughts and things...

Point being, if you think there needs to be a better home page for Marathon, m.b.o. really is the place to put it, and if you put together something nice I can hook you up and get it put there. But step one is actually making something nice. You do that and then get back to me.

I still think that we ought to merge Pfhorpedia with Traxus.

TectonInd

Post Jan 10th '11, 03:53

The AO wiki and Traxus actually started out partially merged, then we very carefully split them. Separation of concerns is less of an issue now that it's clear that neither one is going anywhere, but I'm still bothered about going backwards.

I'm more and more of the mind that Pfhorpedia and Traxus should be merged, but I haven't looked at Pfhorpedia in a long time. Who knows what it's like now.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Jan 14th '11, 06:14

It needs to be updated, thermoplyae, and heavily on Infinity. It contains no knowledge on any level for Infinity.
I have visited it lately, and that is the news. Not good.
The guy who is alotted a lot, and I mean"alot,"of rockets to the face.

Furray
West Richland, WA

Post Jan 14th '11, 09:18

thanks! now i know :)
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Jan 15th '11, 02:14

So this place is still online, eh? Amazing...
Alan wrote:
QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM)
Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?

Bridget
Another World

Post Jan 16th '11, 00:08

thermoplyae wrote:thanks! now i know :)

<insert G.I. Joe joke here>

Paul

Previous

Return to The Pfhorums