I will read every thread on Pfhorums and comment on them

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post May 16th '10, 17:29

Suck it down

ray

Post May 16th '10, 17:36

[topic="2302"]The Official Rules[/topic]

I'll start with this hilariously outdated topic pinned to the top of The Pfhorums > The Pfhorums > The Pfhorums. It really reminds you of the golden age of RyokoTK's administration. This place has really gone down the shitter since then. Legendary posters such as Kinetic Turtle and Johannes Gunnar Thornsteinsson put in helpful, informative appearances as well.

RATING: 8/10
A classic topic that harks back to a golden age. It lacks anything too exciting, but this is one of its virtues.

ray

Post May 16th '10, 17:59

I am looking forward to this!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post May 16th '10, 18:27

Courtesy of b.org Hotline,
Last edited by L'howon on May 16th '10, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post May 16th '10, 18:52

[topic="3"]Its finally back online!!![/topic]

Another blast from the past, this is the oldest known topic on Pfhorums. Immediately upon arrival, a strange website will demand a username and password, which sets an appropriate tone for the thread. The most common feature of this thread is teh1ghool babbling about "lazers". A nervous appleswitch tries in vain to calm down his users.

The second page begins with a 2007 bump that brings many familiar faces from modern times into the fray, reminiscing about the "good" old days. Unfortunately, this topic has since been closed, so I could not breathe new life into it again - obstructed by the incompetent Pfhorums administration as always.

RATING: 2/10
A barely notable yawnfest.

ray

Post May 17th '10, 00:16

You should start with Legends.

gmanyo

Post May 17th '10, 00:28

I thought you were Irons until you gave me that piece of terrible advice.

ray

Post May 17th '10, 00:30

ray wrote:I thought you were Irons until you gave me that piece of terrible advice.

Yeah, I thought that once as well. And Bridget. I really should change that.

gmanyo

Post May 17th '10, 00:38

[topic="667"]Home Schooling.[/topic] (REQUIRES PIGEON LOUNGE LOGIN)

This is topic 667. I was going to do topic 666 but it was stupid and boring so I'm doing topic 667 instead. Herein, MoppyPuppy asks somewhat incoherently for advice about home schooling, even though he isn't actually going to be home schooled or some stupid shit like that. The responses are appropriately trollish, and MoppyPuppy acts like he's surprised even though it's the Pigeon Lounge. The topic takes a turn for the interesting when someone calls out Shadowbreaker for being "mean". Regrettably, this fizzles out quickly with only a single quote-ridden post of rebuttal.

RATING: 4/10
Had potential to be a nice flamewar, but really it's just stupid.
Last edited by ray on May 17th '10, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

ray

Post May 27th '10, 00:57

[topic="4872"]Greetings, all[/topic]

I'm getting Dugit's intro thread out of the way here because I'm going to be featuring threads with Dugit posts sooner or later, and I want to introduce "Vale,<line break>Dugit" at the beginning.

RATING: 10/10
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn, but Dugit is hilarious later so it gets ten points.
Last edited by ray on May 27th '10, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

ray

Post May 27th '10, 16:07

"Vale" means "farewell" in Latin. I think it's pronounced "Walay". I don't actually know Latin, but my friend told me this.
Last edited by gmanyo on May 27th '10, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post May 27th '10, 20:32

gmanyo wrote:"Vale" means "farewell" in Latin. I think it's pronounced "Walay". I don't actually know Latin, but my friend told me this.

Blargh, it's a voiced bilabial fricative, not a bilabial approximant! It's closer to an English "V" (voiced labiodental fricative) with traces of a "B" (voiced bilabial plosive) than an English "W". (In fact, Tolkien was fond of transcribing the sound "Bh", by parallel to "Ph", which contrary to popular pronunciation is not exactly like an "F", but close, much as how "Bh" is not quite a "V", but close).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on May 27th '10, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post May 27th '10, 20:56

Pfhorrest wrote:Blargh, it's a voiced bilabial fricative, not a bilabial approximant! It's closer to an English "V" (voiced labiodental fricative) with traces of a "B" (voiced bilabial plosive) than an English "W".

A Bostonian might disagree with you on how the word "area" is pronounced, too. We're all taught in school that the U sound is the classical Latin pronunciation. In Church Latin it is more like a V, but a medieval German Latin "vale" would sound different from a modern day Vatican Latin "vale."

FORREST EVNT DOMVS

Back on topic(?), in my mind, despite normally favoring the modern pronunciation, I hear "wall-ay, Doo-git"--with the "ay" being pitched melodically lower than the "wall", and the "git" being pitched melodically lower than the "doo" in an imitative fashion.
Last edited by treellama on May 27th '10, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 27th '10, 23:28

Treellama wrote:Back on topic(?), in my mind, despite normally favoring the modern pronunciation, I hear "wall-ay, Doo-git"--with the "ay" being pitched melodically lower than the "wall", and the "git" being pitched melodically lower than the "doo" in an imitative fashion.

IN MY MIND, I pronounce "vale" like "gale".

I also don't know any Latin.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post May 27th '10, 23:32

Well, when "V" is used as a vowel then of course it takes a close back rounded vowel sound ("U"), the question is what sound does it take as a consonant. "U" is not quite a bilabial approximant ("W") either, though I will admit that that is a bit closer than the voiced bilabial fricative.

Now write SILVO ITE DOMUM DCCLXXVII times, or I'll kill you.
(Yes, I know "forest" is feminine in Latin, but I'm adapting it for a man's name, so yeah. I have to do the same with Spanish "bosce"/"Bosco").
Last edited by Pfhorrest on May 27th '10, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post May 28th '10, 01:39

Here's a nice PDF on the subject:

http://www.ai.uga.edu/mc/latinpro.pdf

Note that he "[gives] a compromise between several regional variations" for northern Continental, but after reading the chart I am less sure that "vale" would sound different in medieval German Latin and church Latin. Even accounting for accent those vowels should be the same, and the chart gives the same modern "V" pronunciation for both.

Also, it appears I have always pronounced short "u" incorrectly.

All the same, "wallay" is still fine.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 28th '10, 05:20

I'm with thermo. Vale, veil, gale, Gail, blah blah. The way Dugit used it, there was not need to connect it to Latin at all. He was making up his own language for a while.
Last edited by irons on May 28th '10, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 28th '10, 08:47

irons wrote:He was making up his own language for a while.

Yeah, I guess so.

QQRGFXZYQFTZ7Y,
Gmanyo

gmanyo

Return to The Pfhorums