Cesspi7

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post Sep 7th '10, 19:03

Treellama wrote:Usually it's given in the context of "I can't use Fileball at all because of this," so "but THIS works" is actually meant to be helpful--it would at least let you use it. It is hard not to be defensive when someone suggests that an inability to search for their own files makes them completely unable to use an entire web site--but I will try. If all you do is search for your own files, I apologize for calling that a minor problem.

It is actually more, "I can't justify switching from S7 to Fileball because of this." Because S7 already exists, my expectations for Fileball are higher. And that is about all I do, since I make content/update my files far more than I go looking to download things.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 9th '10, 04:53

I do get a tad annoyed when my work gets bumped 2 pages back in S7 by a spew of physics models.
Last edited by raithe on Sep 9th '10, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...

RAITHE [Pfhor Military Base AI Ver. 4.2]

raithe

Post Sep 9th '10, 11:53

no RAITHE you are the physics models
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 9th '10, 17:06

I agree with RAITHE, his work should always be on the front page. We need to petition switch to implement this.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Sep 9th '10, 21:46

aw come on! nobody else is with me and ellio7t on this?
Anyway, on a more serious note, I think W'rks idea of how S7 should be arranged is probably best.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Sep 10th '10, 16:10

RAITHE wrote:I do get a tad annoyed when my work gets bumped 2 pages back in S7 by a spew of physics models.

You think that's bad? I get a tad annoyed when my work gets bumped 2 pages back by a spew of Lua scripts.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 11th '10, 15:57

From another thread, so that it doesn't get lost:
G.S.10 wrote:If you want some perspective, I mapped for 3 years before I made my first upload. No need to wait that long, just understand it takes time to cultivate mapping skills. Pace yourself, and think big :)
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Sep 12th '10, 07:43

Hey Douchebags,

I updated my Simplicity site to include links to search by tag and user. Since people don't always tag their files appropriately, searching by tags may suck.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 12th '10, 15:57

FWIW Fileball's "Search Files" function can now search by author, submitter username, and submitter name.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 16th '10, 05:48

There is one great thing about Simplici7y that I don't think is appreciated enough. Just check out the reviews section of the site, and wait a few seconds. Now where else are you going to find a website that is so good, it warns you how bad it is?

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 16th '10, 17:22

Nice, it even happens for me with NoScript installed. Simplici7y is not in my whitelist.

Did Simplici7y get hacked?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 16th '10, 17:35

Treellama wrote:Nice, it even happens for me with NoScript installed. Simplici7y is not in my whitelist.

Did Simplici7y get hacked?

Nice, I use NoScript too. Simplici7y was on my whitelist, but I'm going take it off like you did for now. That is so weird.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Sep 16th '10, 20:20

I don't believe it got hacked. I think it happened when I embedded some HTML into my rating so an image would show up.

Edit: Although I guess it's possible Tim did something.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Sep 16th '10, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 16th '10, 20:54

Wow.

I just had a really exquisite laugh reading all this stuff.

Really? Really? You guys are really filling this ludicrous topic with four pages of wing-flapping and hand-wringing over a dead game that, like, 10 people play?

Not to mention the preposterous elitism and OCD/Aspergers trauma on display, overall. [MLaugh]

By the way, RyokoTK, those "abhorrent" M1 maps are the basis for every map in existence today. They are the legacy; they "started it all". Which, FYI, is the only reason I've bothered putting them together: For those who appreciate and understand the context of history in modern goings-on.

In posting those M1 maps, I am and have been all-too-aware that guys like yourself---who behold themselves as the highest form of life in this world, or any other---would consider them, well, "abhorrent". And, I could care less. The e-mails I've received from a handful of extremely appreciative individuals made it all worthwhile. They reached their intended audience, i.e., not you, or those like you, who feel they somehow now "own" the Marathon universe, and have crowned themselves the usurpers of Jason and Alex.

RyokoTK, your work is very good. But, where would you be without the 15 years of mapmakers in front of you? If you'd been around in 1997, would you be at the level of a Randall Shaw? Or the Double Aught team?

I kind of doubt it. [MFrown]

You (and a couple others) swim around here as if you're some kind of royal presence; as if you're the final answer to all questions Marathon. Not sure why people put up with this kind of attitude, but your work is actually strong, and there are so few of you left anymore...

Well, there's your answer.

In conclusion, the elitism and insanity in this place is too much for a guy like me. I'm outta here. It truly troubles me on a personal level when guys like RyokoTK run around with their severe behavioral problems (i.e., megalomania) on display, dragging-down the user experience and the community as a whole.

I mean, what are you IRL, RyokoTK? Anything much? For my part, you might say that I'm a very busy person IRL, and I decided to do the M1 maps as a way of giving back to a community that gave so, so much to me.

Now? Nah. If you're the "standard" of this community these days, trust me, I got better things to do. [MUp]

For the record, I'd like to make clear that I exclude Gregory Smith from that "megalomania" assessment, and probably Irons as well. Probably.

P.S. I'll save you the Google trip... MEGALOMANIA: A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence. (emphasis mine)
M1MapDude

Post Sep 16th '10, 21:07

M1MapDude wrote:words

The elitism has been here for years. You're not the first person to make a big dumb rant like this and leave.
I don't care anymore.

Jim
Dayton, Ohio

Post Sep 16th '10, 21:08

RyokoTK is single-handedly ruining the community

Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood.
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Sep 16th '10, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 16th '10, 21:26

M1MapDude wrote:Wow.

I just had a really exquisite laugh reading all this stuff.

Really? Really? You guys are really filling this ludicrous topic with four pages of wing-flapping and hand-wringing over a dead game that, like, 10 people play?

Not to mention the preposterous elitism and OCD/Aspergers trauma on display, overall. [MLaugh]

By the way, RyokoTK, those "abhorrent" M1 maps are the basis for every map in existence today. They are the legacy; they "started it all". Which, FYI, is the only reason I've bothered putting them together: For those who appreciate and understand the context of history in modern goings-on.

In posting those M1 maps, I am and have been all-too-aware that guys like yourself---who behold themselves as the highest form of life in this world, or any other---would consider them, well, "abhorrent". And, I could care less. The e-mails I've received from a handful of extremely appreciative individuals made it all worthwhile. They reached their intended audience, i.e., not you, or those like you, who feel they somehow now "own" the Marathon universe, and have crowned themselves the usurpers of Jason and Alex.

RyokoTK, your work is very good. But, where would you be without the 15 years of mapmakers in front of you? If you'd been around in 1997, would you be at the level of a Randall Shaw? Or the Double Aught team?

I kind of doubt it. [MFrown]

You (and a couple others) swim around here as if you're some kind of royal presence; as if you're the final answer to all questions Marathon. Not sure why people put up with this kind of attitude, but your work is actually strong, and there are so few of you left anymore...

Well, there's your answer.

In conclusion, the elitism and insanity in this place is too much for a guy like me. I'm outta here. It truly troubles me on a personal level when guys like RyokoTK run around with their severe behavioral problems (i.e., megalomania) on display, dragging-down the user experience and the community as a whole.

I mean, what are you IRL, RyokoTK? Anything much? For my part, you might say that I'm a very busy person IRL, and I decided to do the M1 maps as a way of giving back to a community that gave so, so much to me.

Now? Nah. If you're the "standard" of this community these days, trust me, I got better things to do. [MUp]

For the record, I'd like to make clear that I exclude Gregory Smith from that "megalomania" assessment, and probably Irons as well. Probably.

P.S. I'll save you the Google trip... MEGALOMANIA: A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence. (emphasis mine)

Wait, does this mean no more M1A1 Netpacks? I wish you had converted them to use with Infinity. Merge in some of the original textures, replace the weapons and items, and those could have been some classic maps people would have actually hosted.
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 16th '10, 23:08

Wow, M1A1MapDude. It must have been hard for you to pretend not to be a troll this whole time. I could almost believe your post, except for the fact that you singled out Ryoko(?!?) of all people.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 16th '10, 23:12

M1MapDude wrote:Really? Really? You guys are really filling this ludicrous topic with four pages of wing-flapping and hand-wringing over a dead game that, like, 10 people play?

M1MapDude wrote:The e-mails I've received from a handful of extremely appreciative individuals made it all worthwhile.

I assume those e-mails came from the other, like, 9 people.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Sep 17th '10, 00:45

M1MapDude wrote:delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or nilpotence. {emphasis mine}
patrick
末法

Post Sep 17th '10, 01:23

Hey, thanks, M1MapDude. Sure, I think you made a mistake about me, and Treellama is said to be a DICTATOR at home (I bugged his CLIQUE M&Ms last Christmas). I understand your impassioned defense of M1 netmaps and the principles behind your posting them. I don't give a damn about old maps, myself, but that's life. A thing can be venerable and still really bad. Underworld (the music group) were originally a new wave/synthpop group and their 80s period music is mostly laughable. I don't really thank my lucky stars when I hear it, even though there theoretically would be no present-day Underworld without the cheese of the past.

Ryoko is a very straightforward person. It has taken me years to discover that he changes his mind about things he once liked. A good example is the map one can find in my P R A H B L U M PEACK called "Hurtin' No One." Ryoko thought it was great when I was testing it privately. I happen to agree now that it sucks; However, Ryoko's eventual rejection of it. The fact is that Ryoko has ever-rising standards. He has an ego, but if he happens to be satisfied with his contributions, what's wrong with that? He once proposed to me a scenario where our contemporary "good" levels would be looked down upon from future Marathoners as we look down on those of the early days. That's long-term humility for you. By the way, Ryoko, I hate you if you were the one who filtered PRAH BLUM.

Other than Ryoko, whom do you include in the list of elitists? I could understand the accusations of olden times againt the people who would eventually become CLIQUE, but at most now they (we) are simply gruff assholes. They (we) think everything sucks, and I do mean everything. Ryoko had to reject nominations for our collaborative Problem Pax compilation. For real.

For my part, lately I've made a concerted effort to help those whose questions don't seem to be answered (for example, in the 5D Trap thread). I suspect this is mainly because I can't cobble images together like I used to, but the effect is the same. I think many of the CLIQUE are doing likewise.

What I wonder is why you don't put the M1 netmaps into an ever-growing pack that you update whenever you convert a handful of levels. I admit I've never downloaded any of them, nor have I even read thr descriptions carefully, but this seems like a reasonable compromise. If you feel certain levels should be in specific files, there's nothing stopping you from filling a folder with .sceAs and zipping it.

Finally, I hope you do come back. You seem like a reasonable person even if differences in taste and philosophy set you off. Take it from me: making a long post like that and leaving in a huff does no good unless you are trying to make other people laugh. I have learned this from almost half a decade of acting this way on uncountable occasions. And the one time I was doing it for a laugh, things turned out to be far more serious than anyone could have guessed. Don't take this as an "I told you so" sort of thing. If you do return, I'd like a reply (even via PM) but otherwise, endure a little ribbing and get on with the community dialogue.

PS: PATRICK! Your latest juxtaposition has thermo and me mystified. Also did you get my email the other month.
Last edited by irons on Sep 17th '10, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 17th '10, 06:13

M1MapDude wrote:stuff

I don't want you to leave. I actually enjoy playing through some of the old stuff- quite a few give me cases of nostalgia more than often. You're not the one I'm fed up with. Please come back.

Please. [MGrin]

PS: Pro-tip- maybe you could release them at larger intervals and with each pack having more maps, so you don't clutter the front page so much? That would be awesome.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 17th '10, 15:12

Hey Dugit, how do you pronounce "hate?" IPA symbols preferred.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 17th '10, 16:46

M1MapDude wrote:By the way, RyokoTK, those "abhorrent" M1 maps are the basis for every map in existence today. They are the legacy; they "started it all". Which, FYI, is the only reason I've bothered putting them together: For those who appreciate and understand the context of history in modern goings-on.

I don't understand some people. I make one offhand comment about how something is bad, and people take it immediately as the highest possible degree of elitism. In this case, it's not even deserved; you misunderstood me. The uploads themselves (five thousand individual map uploads) were bad. I haven't downloaded the M1 maps because, frankly, I don't care about them.

You mean, on the day Infinity and Forge were released, was I as good or better as the professionals that had a two-year advantage over a 10-year-old me? Why, no, but I never presumed I was.

I haven't even been hardcore elitist about other maps for a couple years now, as far as I recall (but don't hold me to that). I can only conclude that, since I'm good at what I do, if I ever express distaste about something, it's jealousy and elitism and not that I simply don't like something. But again, as I said, I wasn't even commenting on the maps, and they're not even yours. And I don't even know why you're attacking me when I'm one of the few in the group you're raging about that is perfectly tolerant of bad maps.

By the way, just because the maps were good in 1995 doesn't mean they were good now. Disco was good too during its reign. Is Funkytown still a good song? Please.

What! How could you call me a megalomaniac but not Treellama?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to The Pfhorums