Pf'hak - Frequently Asked Questions - 8 Years Too Late

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
megabyte
Vidmaster

i read it
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:::facepalm::
okey, i ditched every single enhancement, and it still doesn't work. idk why, but there is one differnce. Instead of gettiing the black screen the whole time, i actually get into the level, and so does everybody else. But, do u know that glitch like oos, where it says "_______ has dc'd" but they're really in an anlternate version of that level, but it has nobody in it, and they can still mic and type? That happens to everybody in my games. i'm sooo close to hosting, i think this is the last problem.

EDIT: i was able to host one game, but then no others. I can't figure it out, i don't think it's my connection, i checked the pings in the game that i was able to host and sombody on the opposite coast of me never broke 200. hrm

ALSO: nobody ever answered my questions about having A1 freeze when i try to search for new phys/map/ect. My setup is:
A1
Lots of folders with my maps/phys/and other random stuff in them
A1 m3 data

I realize that A1 has to search all of the folders like this, but treellama mentioned somthing about file extentions. What did he mean?
Last edited by Phortiphy on Sep 16th '07, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

The Thug wrote:No, atleast I didn't and don't. I read 2 or 3 things when I joined, but that was it.
Yes, but I have yet to see you actually ask something that's already been answered on the FAQ...
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote:Yes, but I have yet to see you actually ask something that's already been answered on the FAQ...
That's because I already know most of the things on the FAQ.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Also, my A1 in my main folder, where all my map folders are placed, has stopped working. I tried to replace it, but apparently no A1's in that folder will boot, and now all my others have a hard time starting up. Help?
Can't speel for hist.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Are you double-clicking it?? I would hope so.

You better have the shapes, physics, sounds, etc in that folder. Because if you don't, then you are truly a idiot.

I would chuck the whole folder out except for the valuable files like maps and then redownload Aleph One.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I think that the problem is too many folders in that folder, but i can fix that later.
This is the pressing question, and i'm sick of blundering in the dark: How do i install the map packs in such a way that a1 doesn't freeze when sorting through all of these (see below) files
Last edited by Phortiphy on Sep 19th '07, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
megabyte
Vidmaster

i have a lot of files in my a1 folder and it doesn't hurt it
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]
The Thug
Vidmaster

You're probably not using most of those, so I would put the 'inactive' maps in a folder outside of your Aleph One folder. That way, you have much less maps to sort through and A1 only has to look up around 10 map packs.

I organize my marathon stuff like this: Desktop - Marathon Folder - Aleph One Folder and other folders that have to do with marathon.
Last edited by The Thug on Sep 19th '07, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

The Thug wrote:You're probably not using most of those, so I would put the 'inactive' maps in a folder outside of your Aleph One folder. That way, you have much less maps to sort through and A1 only has to look up around 10 map packs.

I organize my marathon stuff like this: Desktop - Marathon Folder - Aleph One Folder and other folders that have to do with marathon.
oh, thank god. i thot i'd have to go thru all of my folders and put .sceA on them or somthing :P
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

CryoS wrote:was doom released before marathon?
Is this true? (sorry about double post, i was arguing with a freind at school whether or not marathon was better than doom, his claim was that mthon was released after doom, and thus stole a shitload from it. i don't think this is true)
Can't speel for hist.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Marathon looks like doom in some ways. almost every1 whom dont have a clue about what marathon is, would say its exactly like doom. BUT! marathon is alot more fun, has a MUCH MUCH better story, (you name it)
i think doom was released before marathon 1. please correct me if im wrong.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
The Thug
Vidmaster

Doom was made in 1993, while Marathon 1 was made in late 1994. So yes, Doom was made before Marathon.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

damn, there goes my argument :(
Can't speel for hist.
treellama
Vidmaster

Well, at least you made some effort. Granted, you further contributed to the derailing of this thread (yes, I appreciate the irony of my pointing that out). Granted, you didn't expend as much effort as looking it up with a simple wikipedia or google search. And not nearly as much as looking it up *before* you made an ass of yourself. But, yay for doing something!
The Thug
Vidmaster

I looked that up in half a minute. And people say I'm lazy. Hmpf.
StoneClench
Cyborg

Drictelt wrote:Thx

And eh, i dont know if this still belongs in this topic, but how do most luaers test their scripts? Cuz testing every possibility in aleph one seems hard, but i wouldnt know where to find a lua runner.
Got no buddies? Well, just have res edit open, put script into terminal picts file, use mml to assign the script to the map. open forge n merge it, load AO up n play it. Doesn't work? alter script, put it into res edit, open forge n merge it, load AO up n play it. Doesn't work? and so on.
Last edited by StoneClench on Oct 9th '07, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Zephyrus wrote:Got no buddies? Well, just have res edit open, put script into terminal picts file, use mml to assign the script to the map. open forge n merge it, load AO up n play it. Doesn't work? alter script, put it into res edit, open forge n merge it, load AO up n play it. Doesn't work? and so on.
Congratulations for both (a) missing the point of what he is saying, and (b) providing stupid advice even for the misinterpreted problem.
StoneClench
Cyborg

By now most people know that that is what I do best.

And btw, there are various apps that can check syntax, solra has one in html on his site.
Last edited by StoneClench on Oct 10th '07, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
megabyte
Vidmaster

where is solra's site?
Favorite quote
[viral]
CryoS
Vidmaster

ok heres a question.
a) is it worth to get a mariusnet account?
b) what kind of benefit do i get?
Last edited by CryoS on Oct 10th '07, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Lugas
Vidmaster

Unless you play Myth, there is no reason for you to get an account on MariusNet, unless you want to chat about Marathon in the forums.

This should be added.
treellama
Vidmaster

You may find you want one in the future ;)
irons
Vidmaster

Remove Underworld from the map pack list. Both the link and the pack have lost their JUICE.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
EDX
Cyborg

Never mind, found the answer myself... But I think it might be nice to post the irc information for #alephone
Last edited by EDX on Nov 14th '07, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
You know what? Video games kick ASS!!!