Pf'hak - Frequently Asked Questions - 8 Years Too Late

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post May 17th '07, 23:38

Some questions:
I was finishing up a single-player level. Without sounds it worked perfectly fine on Infinity 1.5 (OS9), but when I went back and added (a lot of) sounds it Infinity freezes as soon as I open it. When I bring the file over to a Windows PC Aleph One, the map opens but I lost all of the terminal pictures. I also tried to move the shapes file I was using over to the PC and it didnt work.

1) How do I stop Infinity 1.5 from freezing? Is having random AND ambient sounds on the same polygon Really Bad?
2) How do I move a Mac Infinity Shapes file over to Windows Aleph One?
3) How do I preserve the resource fork (which is what I assume is causing the terminal pictures to die)? Compressing the map file didnt seem to do the trick.
4) Is there any Aleph One for OS9?
Volcanon

Post May 17th '07, 23:49

The real way to solve this problem on Aleph One Windows is to use a program to encode the map file to MacBinary format (in the Mac OS), then move it to the Windows PC. To make sure you can later tell it's a map, change its extension from .bin to .sceA, which is the extension for Aleph One map files. This will preserve the resource fork.

The Shapes file can be transferred without use of this process; all that matters is the data contained inside. Of course, Aleph One likes the .shpA extension on its shapes :) I'm not sure why A1 didn't recognize it on Windows.

EDIT:
If you can get this working, I'd just dump the original Infinity on Mac OS. Also, there is a version of Aleph One for OS 9, but it's not nearly as nice.

May I ask, however, which map and shapes you're trying to transfer? There is a chance that someone has already converted it for cross-platform use.
Last edited by irons on May 17th '07, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 18th '07, 00:53

The shapes file is something I've made, so I dont think it has been converted. Map is a single-player I've been working on.

I guess MacBinary can .bin a file. I havent actively used macs for about 4 years, does anybody know where I can download it, does Zipit or some shareware program binary a file?

I couldnt find Aleph One for OS9, so I used Infinity. Can you help me find a link?

I fixed the crashing problem through the process of "doing random things until the problem went away".
Volcanon

Post May 18th '07, 01:01

underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 18th '07, 02:06

Meesa help yousa findsa the OS 9 Aleph One

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...package_id=1944
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post May 19th '07, 18:19

hmmm, that's weird. every time I quit then start up aleph, my "join by ip" thing changes to one of 3 or 4 different ips, but when I check system prefs, it is still the same as usual. garr.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post May 23rd '07, 05:33

Is there some "Post for minor artwork questions"?
I was wondering what font the "Durandal_1707" terminal screen has for it's text.
Volcanon

Post May 23rd '07, 11:52

Phortiphy wrote:hmmm, that's weird. every time I quit then start up aleph, my "join by ip" thing changes to one of 3 or 4 different ips, but when I check system prefs, it is still the same as usual. garr.

That's because the "Join by IP" thing isn't your address. Unless you've been joining yourself. When you join on meta, it's practically the same thing as entering the hosts IP address and joining by the IP. Meta enters that IP for you, so those are the IPs you're seeing.
Bourne

Post May 27th '07, 15:33

whoa, its so... plausible...
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post May 28th '07, 23:50

Update:
Added Newbie Guide link.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post May 30th '07, 00:35

Perhaps you could add something in the FAQ about the fonts- Modula Tall (the tall writing used on titles of splash screens) and Bank Gothic (the stout writing used on chapter screens/subtitles), neither of which are the Durandal FOnts.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 30th '07, 19:08

This is more of a FAQ for more general Pfhorum and a few Marathon questions, but I'll think about it.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jun 2nd '07, 19:10

FYI, on page 2, the whole controversy over aliens killing each other is answered with this:

in the original M1, the aliens did not turn against each other, even if they are hit. in M2, M3, A1M1, A1M2, A1M3, though, they do. idk about A1M1, but that's what i've heard. For some reason, the makers of A1M1 put that in.

Thusly, freindly fire will cause spht to turn against pfhor, pfhor v pfhor, ect, in any game but the original marathon one. I believe that this is because at the time, the BOBs were not armed, and the whole "bob shoot marine if marine kill enough bobs" did not apply, therefore not giving Bungie the incentive and/or idea for making freindly fire an escalating thing.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jun 7th '07, 00:18

Haha, "A1M1".

M2 and MInf are the same game whether you play with the original engine or with A1. M1A1 (as we like to call it) runs on a totally different engine than Marathon did. Berzerking though, yeah, it's a flag they didn't need to set. Why did they set it? Got me.

kineticturtle

Post Jun 7th '07, 00:32

So I'd forgotten about this, and while xyfbzi is banned, I wanted to bring it back for the people.

xyfbzi wrote:uh... something inside forge makes it do stuff. we just have to get that out.
couldn't we, at the very least, bring it back to binary?

xyfbzi wrote:forge does things.
some part of it causes it to do these things.
we all have that part on our computers.
with extreme skill, we could look at it binary or something, and pull it into the correct parts.

kineticturtle

Post Jun 7th '07, 00:52

Kinetic Turtle wrote:So I'd forgotten about this, and while xyfbzi is banned, I wanted to bring it back for the people.

Feeling evil.

Since this is a faq, kinda, i just wanted to get some thing clarified:

1) how do you create "secret levels" i.e. injector in pelican, ect.
2) i lost my physics file (no, it's not in the trash) and when i went and downloaded the physics from the source page, i found out that the "infinity" link gave me m2 physics. any help?
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jun 7th '07, 00:56

1. Juice.

2. It's not really necessary; A1 still defaults to MInf physics, I believe, but either way Anvil makes new physics files that default to Inf physics.

kineticturtle

Post Jun 7th '07, 01:04

No, but i can't see the flechette, i only get m2 walls, the switches and terms arne't responding, ITS ALL FUCKED UP
even if i make a new one with forge. I already replaced the app at least once, btw.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jun 7th '07, 02:56

Phortiphy wrote:No, but i can't see the flechette, i only get m2 walls

That's because you have the M2 shapes chosen.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 7th '07, 11:01

Oh. Yeah, thats probably right. I have another question: how do you get a patch to work in anvil? I completely forgot. Namely, the MAlien Demo.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jun 7th '07, 11:05

thermoplyae wrote:
xyfbzi wrote:forge does things.

Your mom does things

Sorry xyfbzi
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jun 11th '07, 04:35

I got another question:

For using Forge on a PC, the FAQ suggests downloading basilisk II. Unfortunately, I have no clue what to do from there. The most I can figure out is that it is a Mac OS emulator, but other than that any information provided with it or about it isn't all that helpful.

Could you probably add in a detailed walkthrough of how to use it, or point me to one so I can start using Forge?
Axle_Gear

Post Jun 12th '07, 16:35

I thought I had a link that sent you to a page with instructions...I'll take a look in a bit, but for now, off to class.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Jun 12th '07, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jun 16th '07, 10:08

Updated the thread once again.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

PreviousNext

Return to The Pfhorums