My art

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Oct 28th '07, 10:15

What about his hands ingame though? Clearly black.

Also pretty much all of Craig Mullin's artwork depicts him as black.

I always thought it was pretty cool that he's a black guy. It was probably the first FPS to have a black guy as the main character.
Last edited by thomaslivingston on Oct 28th '07, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Oct 28th '07, 12:45

Tommy-TBone wrote:Oh yeah, BOBs are well gangsta!

;) lol, nah, i didn't meant it this way, i just wanted to say that the bob's voice sounds like douglas zartman could have been an african-american...hm, have seen a picture of him, he looked kinda white... :-P i was suprised! but it doesn't matter, anyway!

Tommy-TBone wrote:What about his hands ingame though? Clearly black.

yeah, that's why i thought he's black...

Nathan92 wrote:I'm not a racist though. Black or white, the marine is still cool, but ive never pictured him black.

sure, of course you're not! but for me, marathon was the first game where you played a black person (as i can remember...didn't played much games when i started to play marathon), without being a 'G' shooting innocent people or stealing cars or hell what...it made the game even..ummm...funkier... [MGrin]

Tommy-TBone wrote:I always thought it was pretty cool that he's a black guy. It was probably the first FPS to have a black guy as the main character.

[MUp]
Last edited by dschungltiga on Oct 28th '07, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 28th '07, 12:53

Hes wearing gloves, his gloves are pretty well textured. Anyone eveyone in the game looks like... mexican or asian or some other in-between race.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT

Packard20
Hopefully not where you are!

Post Oct 28th '07, 13:09

do you think so? because i do not! [MGrin] and sure he's wearing gloves, but -like illustrated in the artwork by Craig Mullin- they're not covering his whole hand! just the back of it...i think...
Last edited by dschungltiga on Oct 28th '07, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 28th '07, 15:15

Hmm, in his sprites, he's obviously white, maybe the "black" hands are brown gloves.. Anyway, If the marine Is black or white It's fine with me.
T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Nathan92
MI

Post Oct 28th '07, 15:54

yeah, you're right! [MSmile]
nice pictures btw [MUp]

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 28th '07, 16:05

Nathan92 wrote:Hmm, in his sprites, he's obviously white, maybe the "black" hands are brown gloves.. Anyway, If the marine Is black or white It's fine with me.

They really don't look like gloves to me. Also don't forget the marine sprites for netgames.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Oct 28th '07, 16:20

Tommy-TBone wrote:They really don't look like gloves to me.

and what about this green thingy on the back of his hand, for example when you use fists?

Tommy-TBone wrote:Also don't forget the marine sprites for netgames.

huh? what sprites could he meant else?

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 28th '07, 17:39

tiga wrote:and what about this green thingy on the back of his hand, for example when you use fists?

Well that's part of his armour isn't it. And have you ever seen gloves with finger nails drawn on?

huh? what sprites could he meant else?

Can you take those words and make a sentence?

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Oct 28th '07, 18:04

Tommy-TBone wrote:Well that's part of his armour isn't it. And have you ever seen gloves with finger nails drawn on?

well, yeah, you're right...my bad! [MGrin]

Tommy-TBone wrote:Can you take those words and make a sentence?

lol, sry...i know, very bad english sometimes... [MLaugh]
Nathan92 wrote "[...]in his sprites[...]", and you wrote "[...]marine sprites for networking[...]"...so, i thought the marine does only have ONE sprite collection...or did i get something wrong??

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 28th '07, 18:10

tiga wrote:well, yeah, you're right...my bad! [MGrin]
lol, sry...i know, very bad english sometimes... [MLaugh]
Nathan92 wrote "[...]in his sprites[...]", and you wrote "[...]marine sprites for networking[...]"...so, i thought the marine does only have ONE sprite collection...or did i get something wrong??

it has only one sprite collection
you normally only see it when playing netgames
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Oct 28th '07, 18:18

Packard20 wrote:Hes wearing gloves, his gloves are pretty well textured. Anyone eveyone in the game looks like... mexican or asian or some other in-between race.

yes but this is not only in the future but in a different universe theoretically
(EDX has found groundbreaking evidence that it is not different but the same heres the link. http://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2927&hl=)so how do we know there is even mexican or asian people in the marathon universe
Last edited by logan on Oct 28th '07, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

logan

Post Oct 29th '07, 14:54

logan wrote:EDX has found groundbreaking evidence that it is not different but the same

Well my ground is certainly broken.

kineticturtle

Post Oct 29th '07, 20:00

Kinetic Turtle wrote:Well my ground is certainly broken.

Has anybody looked at the facial sprites of the marine, or are they completely covered by the helmet?
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Oct 29th '07, 20:29

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Has anybody looked at the facial sprites of the marine, or are they completely covered by the helmet?

You can see the of the lower half of his face. He's white.
[viral]
Ha ha! Peg faces for everyone!
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!

soulblighter

Post Oct 30th '07, 16:02

Soulblighter wrote:You can see the of the lower half of his face. He's white.
Mordekai

Post Oct 30th '07, 17:22

Soulblighter wrote:You can see the of the lower half of his face. He's white.

No he's not.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Oct 30th '07, 19:13

Tommy-TBone wrote:No he's not.

He looks pretty pasty here, if you ask me:

Also, why would a man's hands be such a different color from his face unless he was wearing gloves?

Honestly, who gives a fuck? I'm white, and since I'm the player, I see the guy I'm playing as white. Makes sense, right? HE IS YOUR COLORS!!
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Oct 30th '07, 19:17

irons wrote:Honestly, who gives a fuck?

I thought you liked pointless trolling and flamewars!!??
Last edited by thomaslivingston on Oct 30th '07, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Oct 30th '07, 19:18

I'm just asking who gives a fuck. :)
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Oct 30th '07, 19:31

irons wrote:HE IS YOUR COLORS!!

It only makes sense.
[viral]
Ha ha! Peg faces for everyone!
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!

soulblighter

Post Oct 30th '07, 22:19

irons wrote:since I'm the player, I see the guy I'm playing as white

ever played gta:san andreas? was cj white for you, too?? when you're playing (a story mode) game, a story is told to you while you're playing, and you're acting as the person who is living the story, not as yourself! and that's why the marine should be illustrated as black person, because he is a black person, IMO. and yeah, sure, who "gives a fuck" if he's white, black or green dottet, but if i would create a protagonist in my own story, i would want people to realise him as i created him, nkay?
Last edited by dschungltiga on Oct 30th '07, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 30th '07, 22:29

tiga wrote:at first it was about bob's color instead of the players color...or at least the marines color in general...
ever played gta:san andreas? was cj white for you, too?? when you're playing (a story mode) game, a story is told to you while you're playing, and you're acting as the person who is living the story, not as yourself! and that's why the marine should be illustrated as black person, because he is a black person, IMO. and yeah, sure, who "gives a fuck" if he's white, black or green dottet, but if i would create a protagonist in my own story, i would wanted people to realise him as i created him, nkay?

I never played San Andreas. I rarely play any games at all, and my other favorite (Armored Core) has a pilot inside a big robot, so there's no issue at all. The thing about Marathon is that it's a first-person shooter. So not only can I not see the guy I'm playing (mostly online, at that), but the Marathon guy is almost totally covered.

Not only that, but the cyborg's "race" and "culture" don't have a thing to do with the story, unlike what I've heard/seen from San Andreas. After all, it's about human beings versus aliens. Maybe in the future, no one gives a damn, either. As it is, there's no indication except for scanty "evidence" from a third party (someone who did not write the plot, i.e. the peerless Mr. Mullins), who also included a non-existent gun and an AOL e-mail in the background terminal. Maybe the guy really isn't black, and you're pissing off all of Bungie because you've totally misinterpreted their all-precious story! nkay? 8===>

irons
(.Y.)

Post Oct 30th '07, 22:41

irons wrote:I'm just asking who gives a fuck. :)

/me hands out fucks to everyone. Enjoy!

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 30th '07, 22:42

Thanks, baby.

irons
(.Y.)

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Music