Marathon Icons

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Marathon Icons

Post Dec 11th '07, 04:58

Hi.

A few years ago I began a project to create new Marathon icons. Starting with a vector of the original insignia, I created many variations on a theme. Except that the white icon never turned out quite right. Four (Pfhore?) versions later and 3 months ago, I finally have it right.

Enjoy: http://byteful.com/media/v/Playground/OSX-Icons/

I realize it's not much, but some may find it useful. All icons are in both OS X and Windows XP format.
Feedback is welcome.
Last edited by Kekoa on May 10th '13, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

I write heart-expanding Mythic Sci-Fi that predicted gravity waves, years before they were proven in 2016Follow along on my travels to Hawaii & beyond →

Kekoa

Post Dec 12th '07, 01:37

Looks great, the only thing is that the symbol is not actually the Durandal symbol if I remember correctly, I believe it is the hollowed moon symbol used for the UESC Marathon, which Durandal uses because he is from that ship.

$lave

Post Dec 12th '07, 02:07

$lave wrote:Looks great, the only thing is that the symbol is not actually the Durandal symbol if I remember correctly, I believe it is the hollowed moon symbol used for the UESC Marathon, which Durandal uses because he is from that ship.

Quite true, though I've come to think of it as Durandal's symbol since he preferred to use it for most of his communications.

Indeed, you are right. It's the UESC Marathon insignia. Thanks.
ImageImageImage

I write heart-expanding Mythic Sci-Fi that predicted gravity waves, years before they were proven in 2016Follow along on my travels to Hawaii & beyond →

Kekoa

Post Dec 12th '07, 02:36

Yeah this is Durandal's real logo (kinda):
Counter Attack on the Meta

Dodopod

Post Dec 12th '07, 02:42

Zomg.
Before: Never heard of byteful
Now: I <3 byteful. Just wish they'd have a 1440X900 res option for the wallpapers...
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Dec 12th '07, 02:44

Dodopod wrote:Yeah this is Durandal's real logo (kinda):

It needs the ziggy.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Dec 12th '07, 16:17

Dodopod wrote:Yeah this is Durandal's real logo (kinda):

The AIs are all the same symbol but usually colour-coded. Red for Tycho, yellow (orange?) for Durandal and...... Wait, what colour was Leela again?

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Dec 12th '07, 17:39

maybe bluuue!?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Dec 12th '07, 17:49

The "hollowed-out-moon" Marathon logo is the logo of the ship, but may also the logo of the U.N.S.C., U.E.S.C. or U.E.S.G. We have no particular evidence that it is one or the other, except that it's used as the logo for the game, which suggests that it is, in fact, the U.E.S.C. Marathon's logo.

The other convincing element is Durandal and Tycho's use of versions of the logo as their personal logos, as if hearkening to their roots. Durandal always uses it in green and Tycho always uses it in red, matching the Pfhor imagery it often appears beside. (To clarify, Leela did not have a color, because on the Marathon, all terminals showed everything in green anyway.)

This is the "bursting forth into the universe" image, referenced above:

I have always interpreted this to be representative of the chaos bursting forth from the Marathon into the universe, namely Durandal, Tycho and the player; hence the white Marathon logo and the light bursting from within.

The icons of the games themselves do not match those of the AIs associated with them; the original Marathon had a blue logo on the package, but a white logo on the icon, with a green logo on the "Music" file icon. Marathon 2 had yellow packaging, but blue logos. Infinity was silver (or grey) across the board.
Last edited by kineticturtle on Dec 12th '07, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

kineticturtle

Post Dec 12th '07, 18:35

Kinetic Turtle wrote:*

Ok, Pfhorrest.
Mordekai

Post Dec 12th '07, 18:47

Kinetic Turtle wrote:I have always interpreted this to be representative of the chaos bursting forth from the Marathon into the universe, namely Durandal, Tycho and the player; hence the white Marathon logo and the light bursting from within.

I always saw that picture differently. For me the octagon in the center was the universe, and the Marathon Logo was the Marathon, and the long band of white light was the "chaos bursting forth," not into but out of the universe, and the little white lights showed how civilization was doing that already, but at a slower, more natural pace, and then the crack opposite the band was how the stability of everything was being threatened.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Dec 12th '07, 18:48

Pfhorrest and I are from the same Marathon fanbase stock, you know.

kineticturtle

Post Dec 13th '07, 01:07

Kinetic Turtle wrote:...

The "hollowed-out-moon" Marathon logo is the logo of the ship, but may also the logo of the U.N.S.C., U.E.S.C. or U.E.S.G. We have no particular evidence that it is one or the other, except that it's used as the logo for the game, which suggests that it is, in fact, the U.E.S.C. Marathon's logo.

I thought that the Marathon ship WAS the UESC Marathon, and that they used the hollowed moon symbol because Marathon was made out of the hollowed Martian moon Deimos.

$lave

Post Dec 13th '07, 02:42

Thank you for re-asking the question I just answered. Go back and read this whole thing again.

U.E.S.C. ≠ U.E.S.C. Marathon = Marathon
Last edited by kineticturtle on Dec 13th '07, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

kineticturtle

Post Dec 13th '07, 02:50

I never even thought of the "Marathon Symbol" as a hallowed out moon. :P
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Dec 13th '07, 03:30

Kinetic Turtle wrote:Thank you for re-asking the question I just answered. Go back and read this whole thing again.

U.E.S.C. =/= U.E.S.C. Marathon = Marathon

Sorry, I realize fully that the U.E.S.C. is NOT the Marathon, the Marathon BELONGS TO the U.E.S.C., I wasn't very clear at all, and I apologize. I meant to say that the hollowed moon is the U.E.S.C. Marathon's logo, but that very strongly doubt that it is the U.E.S.C.'s logo, or that of that U.N.S.C. or the U.E.S.G., as it is rather specific to the Marathon.

EDIT:

Kinetic Turtle wrote:...but may also the logo of the U.N.S.C., U.E.S.C. or U.E.S.G. ... except that it's used as the logo for the game, which suggests that it is, in fact, the U.E.S.C. Marathon's logo.

Sorry, I also thought that when you said this you were implying that out of the U.N.S.C., U.E.S.C. and U.E.S.G that it was at least the U.E.S.C. Marathon's logo and that you were saying that the U.E.S.C. was the same as the U.E.S.C. Marathon. I am fully aware now that you did not mean this, I should have read more carefully.
Last edited by $lave on Dec 13th '07, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Dec 13th '07, 03:51

United Earth Space Council... United Nations Space Council... but U.E.S.G.?
And why all the different legal entities? Or is it different names pfhor the same thing?
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Dec 13th '07, 04:56

Sorry, I can't answer your question because you typed "pfhor" instead of "for", and you pronounced it wrong, so I couldn't understand you.

kineticturtle

Post Dec 13th '07, 13:32

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Zomg.
Before: Never heard of byteful
Now: I <3 byteful. Just wish they'd have a 1440X900 res option for the wallpapers...

Thanks Pfhortipfhy! Everyone here is glad to hear that.

In the interest of simplicity and server space, we tried to provide only the necessary resolutions. Go ahead and grab a 1920x1200 version of a wallpaper. It will work fine. [MSmile]

What an excellent discussion on UESC and other acyronyms. I'm pleased.
I liken it to military ships: USS Something

Well, United Earth Space Command vessels get UESC before their title, hence UESC Marathon. Though Boomer was possibly a better name. [spnkr]
Last edited by Kekoa on Dec 13th '07, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Kekoa

Post Dec 13th '07, 21:44

Pfhortipfhy wrote:United Earth Space Council... United Nations Space Council... but U.E.S.G.?
And why all the different legal entities? Or is it different names pfhor the same thing?

The UESG (United Earth Space Government) and UESC are the same (as far as I know), but the UNSC isn't even from Marathon! It's from Halo. By 2794, the UN is as obsolete as the League of Nations is today.
Counter Attack on the Meta

Dodopod

Post Dec 13th '07, 21:56

Kekoa wrote:Thanks Pfhortipfhy! Everyone here is glad to hear that.

FYI, I downloaded all the icons except monolith, I downloaded all the non-picture wallpapers and have them changing on a 30-minute interval along with my four marathon wallpapers, and I think I downloaded some other stuff too.
Wow, this is really, really good stuff!
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Dec 13th '07, 22:00

UESG is unknown, but is most likely Unified Earth Space Guard (could also be gov't).
UESC is the Unified (not United) Earth Space Council.
UNSC is from Halo, yeah. I was dicking around. Glad somebody noticed.
There's also a UEG (United Earth Government) mentioned once.

kineticturtle

Post Dec 13th '07, 22:35

Kinetic Turtle wrote:UESG is unknown, but is most likely Unified Earth Space Guard (could also be gov't).

I'm pretty sure that in the Rubicon prologue it is referred to as the United Earth Space Government. That doesn't necessarily make it so though.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Dec 13th '07, 22:46

Tommy-TBone wrote:Rubicon

kineticturtle

Post Dec 15th '07, 18:32

Tommy-TBone wrote:That doesn't necessarily make it so though.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Next

Return to Artwork and Music