Fighter redesign sketch

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Nathan92
Cyborg

Hey all, did a redesign drawing of the Pfhor fighter. Wanted to experiment by making him super tall and a bit more buglike.

For whatever reason, on my computer anyway, it seems to be cropping it, so if that's happening, here's a link to the full image:

http://37.media.tumblr.com/f2367fb15b1a ... 1_1280.jpg

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

The digitigrade legs add a nice degree of alienness to it, but the Pfhor originally stand plantigrade so it's kinda not the same kind of creature anymore. Your legs also seem unnaturally long. Maybe shrink the last segment of the legs down much shorter, but still longer than a human foot, and possibly have him shift from plantigrade to digitigrade in different poses? Like humans typically sit digitigrade when squatting, so you could give him a more upright "squat" where he stands digitigrade; maybe that's his light-footed stance, as he moves digitigrade as well; then give him also a more stable plantigrade stance closer to the original sprites, for when he's attacking, say.

I'm also not super fond of the return of the M1-style clown-nose eye arrangement. I would prefer the third eye be back above the other two like in M2/Infinity.
Nathan92
Cyborg

Well, I think that's the point of a redesign. As much as I like the Pfhor's design, I thought they could've stood to be a bit stranger, even though back then, it could partly be blamed on graphical limitation. I think maybe in order for this design to be more successful, I think I should lengthen its arms to match its long legs, because I definitely wanted it to be unnaturally long; it is an alien afterall. Anyway, some cool thoughts, I'll definitely try to tweak him a bit.

And about the eyes, even when I first played Marathon, I never thought of the third eye as a clown nose, didn't cross my mind. I don't really know why it's a problem for most fans. I think that while the third eye on top is a bit more readable, I think that the design choice is a safer one, and consequently, more boring in my opinion.
Last edited by Nathan92 on May 13th '14, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nathan92 wrote:And about the eyes, even when I first played Marathon, I never thought of the third eye as a clown nose, didn't crossed my mind. I don't really know why it's a problem for most fans. I think that while the third eye on top is a bit more readable, I think that the design choice is a safer one, and consequently, more boring in my opinion.
Also, having the third eye below the other two rather than above I think adds a bit more of an alien-ness to the whole thing. I like the redesigned gas mask - definitely makes more sense visually. I would also like to see this thing in color; as it is, it's hard to tell what's what, but shading it all in would make it clear.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I think the Pfhor fighters simply need an upgrade when they move.
When they approach the player they aren't really in full battle stride you know?
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart wrote:I think the Pfhor fighters simply need an upgrade when they move.
When they approach the player they aren't really in full battle stride you know?
Yeah, Marathon: Resurrection did a much better job of making the enemies seem more aggressive, you know? Instead of walking slowly towards the player, they run head-long at the player. It's much more realistic.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Regarding the sketch, I like the style of it, but the perspective seems off. The segments of the right and left leg have different lengths, but the same width. Also, the upper body is in an odd pose. His left hand is so wrapped up around the staff, he'd have to unwind it before he could thrust, parry, or whatever he's going to do with it. But the deliberate modifications you made - digitigrade stance, eye arrangement and such - don't bother me.
Legura
Spazeroid

Thats awesome Nathan, you are a talented illustrator!
ellio7t
Cyborg

A few notes from another artist:
the center of gravity is off.
Your feet need to be flat on the ground to deal with a large planet style gravity. On the Pfhor ship it might be lighter, but hey do go planet side.
The lowest leg and ankle needs a little more muscle mass to deal the over all weight.
A few more ribs and extension on the arms are needed. A slighter build with that, the weight is carried by the legs not the core. It has too much human ratios.
The cranial tail need more mass as it has a full skeletal structure in it. It is a small spine used for neural uplinking.

Overall it looks fantastic, its nice to see people taking interest in reimagining of some incredible creative efforts.
Nathan92
Cyborg

Thanks for the input guys! Mostly playing with ideas at the moment, will probably do a more finished and more correct (as far as perspective and whatnot goes) sometime in the future.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

The image is now broken.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

I had some trouble getting used to the down third eye so I agree with PerseusSpartacus that it added to their alienness.

Everywhere in the Human controlled parts of the galaxy when creatures are portrayed with three eyes, if they're not in a row, the third is above the other two. That is the human conception. The Pfhor may have different sensibilities.

As noted above by VikingBoyBilly, the image is broken but the discussion implies that you've put the third eye below the others so my comment is based on that assumption.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

A quick google search found me this page: http://nathanandersonart.tumblr.com/pos ... om-bungies

It's by someone also named Nathan and fits the description in the conversation so I'm assuming it's the same thing.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Confirmed: that's the same sketch.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

HelviusRufus wrote:I had some trouble getting used to the down third eye so I agree with PerseusSpartacus that it added to their alienness.

Everywhere in the Human controlled parts of the galaxy when creatures are portrayed with three eyes, if they're not in a row, the third is above the other two. That is the human conception. The Pfhor may have different sensibilities.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Everywhere in the Human controlled parts of the galaxy...
Alas.
All generalizations are false, including this one.