Marathon Jam, a random piano thing...

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Marathon Jam, a random piano thing...

Post Feb 8th '16, 09:42

Just messing around with a new piano synth I found. I think it sounds pretty nice with some minor adjustments. I need a sustain pedal, but more of it used sustain than not so I turned it up and went with it even with the fast stuff. This formatting has gone on too long so toodl-oo.

It's just a random test recording of mashed up and improvised Marathon stuff. Also I really suck at playing keyboards that have thin non weighted keys. My hands slip and hit too hard too much. If only I had a piano.
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.

iMac G3, Summer 2001 500MHz, 192MB RAM, ATI Rage Pro 128 w/ Mac OS 9.2.2
Gigabyte Z97XG3, i7-4790K 4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 970 "4GB" w/ Win 10 Pro x64

Neonstar
New Zealand

Post Feb 9th '16, 02:57

You certainly incorporate a lot of the original themes. I know it's improv, but your rhythm gets sloppy in a lot of places. It also seems like you try one recognizable motif, and then get nervous that you don't quite have down how it goes. So you transition to something else, instead of playing it out for the length that makes the most sense.

The instrument quality is good, in the sense that it doesn't sound like a synthesizer to my ears. In fact, the synthesized sound is so much a part of Marathon's music, I would suggest layering a more synthesized-sounding track over this one, or perhaps splitting the existing lower register (what you're playing with your left hand - not sure I have the term correct) to use a different instrument.

The playtime rounds to 7 minutes, which is a nice touch. [MTongue]

Crater Creator

Post Feb 9th '16, 19:12

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty bad at playing on non piano stuff because the thinner keys result in my fingers slipping off and I was trying not to do anything that resulted in. I might redo this in a sequencer (my normal in time stuff) sometime later.

Glad to know the piano works well, I'll probably start using it more.
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.

iMac G3, Summer 2001 500MHz, 192MB RAM, ATI Rage Pro 128 w/ Mac OS 9.2.2
Gigabyte Z97XG3, i7-4790K 4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 970 "4GB" w/ Win 10 Pro x64

Neonstar
New Zealand

Return to Artwork and Music