Textures ? all sorts

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Oct 31st '08, 23:15

Model looks pretty good. Nice job with the little details. I understand this is a WIP but here is some critique.

It looks like your UV map needs some adjusting for the handle. I do like the shader you used for the metal although I think it may look a little too shiny. The model also looks a little too clean overall. Adding some wear and tear to the model would make it look more realistic. Also, the iron sights look way too thin. Adding some thickness to the metal would help.
Last edited by visciom on Oct 31st '08, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

visciom
Somewhere below the heavens

Post Nov 1st '08, 22:47

I liked the shinyness. What I reckon is, you should make it fire slower (with no burst count) but be dual-wieldable. Everyone knows how cool it is to carry two guns.
Major Pedro

Post Nov 21st '08, 23:35

i threw together this arm mesh-

haven't added any gunk to the magnum yet. soon though.
changed the bump
Last edited by jessenator on Nov 22nd '08, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Nov 21st '08, 23:48

Most of your pictures have been removed... try imageshack.us instead :P

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 21st '08, 23:53

Shadowbreaker wrote:Most of your pictures have been removed... try imageshack.us instead :P

moved by me i've been too lazy to relink the ones i've moved that I still want showing. making preparations...

don't know i don't think i posted this one:

Last edited by jessenator on Nov 22nd '08, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Nov 22nd '08, 03:38

Well, your UVs look good on that arm, and the texture has good detail, but I'm not liking the shape. The green pieces are beveled, which is good, but modern body armor isn't composed of flat slabs of material like that; it usually appears sculpted, molded to an ergonomic shape. Your armor looks cumbersome, like the wrist guard would snag on a door or a holster, for instance, and possibly rip off from the fabric. You might take a close look at this scene I did, where I was also making a Marathon-esque marine with a dark 'body glove' under-armor and hard, colored over-armor.

For the landscape, I like your starfield. Was it adapted from a photo, or entirely generated? For the planet, it looks like it should either have a faint glowing atmosphere, or else it should have more definition (since a planet without atmosphere experiences very little erosion)

Crater Creator

Post Nov 22nd '08, 11:49

Crater Creator wrote:Well, your UVs look good on that arm, and the texture has good detail, but I'm not liking the shape. The green pieces are beveled, which is good, but modern body armor isn't composed of flat slabs of material like that; it usually appears sculpted, molded to an ergonomic shape. Your armor looks cumbersome, like the wrist guard would snag on a door or a holster, for instance, and possibly rip off from the fabric. You might take a close look at this scene I did, where I was also making a Marathon-esque marine with a dark 'body glove' under-armor and hard, colored over-armor.

For the landscape, I like your starfield. Was it adapted from a photo, or entirely generated? For the planet, it looks like it should either have a faint glowing atmosphere, or else it should have more definition (since a planet without atmosphere experiences very little erosion)

I don't think it really matters so long as it looks awesome from the Player's perspective.
Its not really like the Player is gonna see his armaments from all angles.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 19th '09, 01:17

been off the map, so to speak. Not quite dead!

Here's a bit of what I've been up to:

The Last Walk

I'm almost ready to unveil the project I've been working on, in addition to getting back to helping others on theirs.

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jul 19th '09, 01:57

jessenator wrote:I'm almost ready to unveil the project I've been working on, in addition to getting back to helping others on theirs.

He looks like he's been shopping a lot :)

How did you get those light effects? 3d? I likey.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 19th '09, 02:36

Shadowbreaker wrote:He looks like he's been shopping a lot :)

How did you get those light effects? 3d? I likey.

hehehe, stopped off for an ammo fix.

Thank you, and yes indeed- that's Maya/Mental Ray. there are about 5 render passes in there- 1 with a flat.matte material on the tunnel, another with a chrome material, another with brushed metal finish, all composited in Photoshop.

I've been trying to create imagery using a minimalistic approach concentrating on the concept. There are only 4 items in that render scene- the tunnel, the silhouette ( a poly plane with a cutout opacity), the camera and a point light.

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jul 19th '09, 03:17

*drools*

i wish i was that good.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Jul 19th '09, 13:07

Quoth TehWastedJamacan, the topic necromancer.
Meta

Post Jul 19th '09, 14:17

Take advice from jessenator. Read twice, reply once. Jessenator was teh 'necromancer'.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Jul 19th '09, 14:23

Indeed he was, it seems the better choice would be to sucumb to metanoia before assholery further saps my mind. *sighs*
Meta

Post Jul 19th '09, 14:26

haha.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Jul 19th '09, 14:49

Priming /tailpipe

You have been warned.
Last edited by Meta on Jul 19th '09, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Meta

Previous

Return to Artwork and Music