Maraphfont

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Mar 2nd '09, 17:13

A font inspired by Marathon. Currently version 0.1. Update coming soon though.
ChristTrekker

Post Mar 3rd '09, 02:17

You spelled "Marapfhont" wrong.
I don't care anymore.

Jim
Dayton, Ohio

Post Mar 3rd '09, 14:01

Jim wrote:You spelled "Marapfhont" wrong.

Oh fiddle faddle. I suppose you've never made a typo. Do you have anything substantive to add?
ChristTrekker

Post Mar 3rd '09, 15:03

ChristTrekker wrote:...fiddle faddle...

nice. haven't heard that one in a while.

It's kinda hard to judge, though, given the size of the characters. Would FontForge let you use MARATHON 2 as the example sentence?

edit: Hey, speaking of FontForge, would you happen to know about a native Windows version? I hate Cygwin.
Last edited by effigy on Mar 3rd '09, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Mar 3rd '09, 15:33

effigy wrote:It's kinda hard to judge, though, given the size of the characters. Would FontForge let you use MARATHON 2 as the example sentence?

edit: Hey, speaking of FontForge, would you happen to know about a native Windows version? I hate Cygwin.

Size of the characters? Install the font and type something in your favorite WP at 100 pt.

AFAICT there will probably never be a native Mac/Win version of FontForge. George seems content to let it be an X11 app.
ChristTrekker

Post Mar 3rd '09, 15:42

Um...in Windows (I thought in Mac, too) you are able to open the TTF and see a preview with out installing:
[attachment=2526:2009_03_03_104000.jpg]
Maybe there's an option in FontForge to change the brown fox crap to MARATHON 2. I'll look later, I guess.

I know it's been around in it's current state for awhile. The reason I ask is that I had found a Japanese site a couple years ago that was either offering one or promising one. I don't recall which. Seems like I downloaded it but it didn't install...maybe I'll poke around some for it.

edit: from what I can tell, it looks o.k., though.
Attachments
2009_03_03_104000.jpg
2009_03_03_104000.jpg (328.87 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
Last edited by effigy on Mar 3rd '09, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

effigy

Post Mar 3rd '09, 16:24

effigy wrote:Um...in Windows (I thought in Mac, too) you are able to open the TTF and see a preview with out installing:

Ah, OK, I see what you mean... Yeah the larger-size phrase doesn't help much when you only get two of the characters. Try grabbing the new 0.2 version.

BTW, Windows will think the font is installed as long as that preview window is open. So you can preview, open a WP, type some text, and set it in that font.
ChristTrekker

Post Mar 3rd '09, 17:36

ChristTrekker wrote:...Try grabbing the new 0.2 version.

Are you posting that here?

ChristTrekker wrote:BTW, Windows will think the font is installed as long as that preview window is open. So you can preview, open a WP, type some text, and set it in that font.

Cool, I'll have to try that sometime.

effigy

Post Mar 3rd '09, 18:50

effigy wrote:Are you posting that here?

Same URL as above.
ChristTrekker

Post Jul 17th '09, 22:33

I've posted version 0.4 just so you wouldn't think I was dead. Lots of tweaking left to do, but it's getting closer!
ChristTrekker

Post Jul 18th '09, 02:30

did you try Marathon Infinity/themes/default/bankgthd.ttf?

this font is what i think of when i think of Marapfhont
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Jul 18th '09, 15:24

tehWastedJamacan wrote:/bankgthd.ttf?

Bank Gothic is indeed used by Bungie, and is the other "Marathon font" along with Modula Tall. There is no free version of it, either.
ChristTrekker

Post Jun 29th '10, 20:01

Sorry to revive this old thread, but great job! Commercial fonts always seemed like a joke to me.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 3rd '10, 19:24

Doesn't the story page say somewhere what the name of the font in the manual is? (cuz, I don't think they just invented it...)
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Jul 3rd '10, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Jul 3rd '10, 21:15

Where did you get the Marathon font you have on your page?

The "Marathon font" is in fact call Modula Tall. It is a commercial font sold by Emigre Inc. The font comes as part of a Tall Pack.

As the Modula Tall font is a commercial font please don't ask me to send you a copy. Thanks.

The font used in the Marathon manuals is Bank Gothic. Again this is a commercial font available from Bitstream on their Bitstream Collection 250 Font CD. Rumor has it that the font was also available with some Mac Performa models. If you know which ones let me know. Thanks.

Quoted from the Marathon Story Page FAQ.
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 3rd '10, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 5th '10, 19:19

Thanks man, I was looking for this type of font!
riserobotrise

Post Sep 20th '10, 05:34

404 error...can anyone re upload it?
It's Moppy

Just don't listen

HunterOfShadows

Post Sep 20th '10, 05:47

HunterOfShadows wrote:404 error...can anyone re upload it?

http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=66805
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Sep 20th '10, 16:36

Ah thank you
It's Moppy

Just don't listen

HunterOfShadows

Post Nov 4th '10, 17:24

The currently posted version is 0.6. Sorry I didn't mention it here sooner. After installing, you can see most of the non-alphanumeric characters here. Of particular note are the dingbats in the Private Use range. [a1logo] The offer is still open to scenario creators?send me a high-res of your logo, and I'll try to work it in.

The new Unicode 6.0 standard adds official codepoints for symbols to represent an alien, and a gun. I'm very tempted to try to convert a S'pht and the MA-75 or Magnum into dingbats also. [MSmile]

If you're actually using this font for anything other than your own amusement, or have found anything that's not working right, please post here and let me know! Thanks! [MUp]
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 4th '10, 20:05

There's this old Mac game called Troubled Souls that uses Modula Tall. What's interesting is that the creator was Randy Reddig, who was on the Marathon Infinity team.

You can download Troubled Souls at the Macintosh Garden.

By the way, nice font, ChristTrekker. ;)
Attachments
Troubled_Souls_Custom_Cover.png
Troubled_Souls_Custom_Cover.png (186.14 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Last edited by President People on Nov 4th '10, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Nov 5th '10, 04:39

President People wrote:There's this old Mac game called Troubled Souls that uses Modula Tall. What's interesting is that the creator was Randy Reddig, who was on the Marathon Infinity team.

Not when this came out he wasn't. Back then he was just a lowly AFC hanging around AOL Keyword:BUNGIE.

BBE4LIFE WUT WUT!!!
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Nov 5th '10, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 19th '10, 08:51

ChristTrekker wrote:The new Unicode 6.0 standard adds official codepoints for symbols to represent an alien, and a gun. I'm very tempted to try to convert a S'pht and the MA-75 or Magnum into dingbats also. [MSmile]

I succumbed to the temptation...there's now a dingbat of a S'pht and a Hulk. [MLaugh]
ChristTrekker

Post Mar 17th '11, 20:23

Version 0.8 now.

Offer's still open to artists?submit your scenario icon, and I'll make it a dingbat.
ChristTrekker

Post Mar 20th '11, 20:44

ChristTrekker wrote:Version 0.8 now.

Offer's still open to artists�submit your scenario icon, and I'll make it a dingbat.

link?
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Next

Return to Artwork and Music