Marathon 3: Salvation

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Feb 19th '10, 22:33

Enemi? more like Xmas Marathon

ukimalefu

Post Feb 19th '10, 22:53

Fishman92 wrote:I have a -better- engine in mind.

Don't take the same path Macsforever did with Chilron.

underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 20th '10, 00:23

irons wrote:Don't take the same path Macsforever did with Chilron.

He said a better engine, you pleb.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 23rd '10, 06:44

Treellama wrote:I haven't seen this post/chart/etc! If you come across it, can you link to it?

Thank Andrew Nagy's leet sleuthing skillz: Infinity Timelines Chart.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 23rd '10, 20:07

Fishman92 wrote:Sundown isn't going to be for Aleph One, I have a -better- engine in mind.

Which engine?
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post Feb 23rd '10, 20:25

fier wrote:Which engine?

Could it be Unity?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 23rd '10, 20:36

if so, heh.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 23rd '10, 23:09

Pfhorrest wrote:Thank Andrew Nagy's leet sleuthing skillz: Infinity Timelines Chart.

Oh and since that chart isn't so clear on the reasons for it listing things as it did, I went back and read through the terminals to confirm: "Naw Man He's Close" appears to be something like the mission which Tycho was about to send you off to at the end of "Confound Delivery", and "By Committee" appears to follow events very similar to those of "Hang Brain". (In fact, it's not clear at all to me that any timeline jumping happens across "Electric Sheep 3" and "Eat The Path", nor why you start dreaming right then at all, unless some Bobs elsewhere managed to activate Thoth right then and nobody mentioned it).

Since "Aye Mak Sicur" follows in a couple of sequential levels from "By Committee", it stands that the end of Infinity lies in a timeline where you were captured by the Pfhor instead of Durandal after M1 and ended up working for Tycho ("Rise Robot Rise" through "Confound Delivery"), begrudgingly against Durandal and his human forces ("Naw Man He's Close" through "Hang Brain"), then again begrudgingly for Tfear ("By Committee" through "A Converted Church..."), before wandering off on your own ("Son of Grendel"), uniting Durandal with Thoth ("Strange Aeons"), a brief stint as a gladiator ("You Think You're Big Time..."), and then making sicur (if you'll pardon the pun) the universe.

If it weren't for the sidetrack in the first half of the "Rage" chapter ("Acme Station" through "Thing What Kicks..."), it's almost a linear story punctuated for some reason by strange dream levels. The only discontinuity I see (leaving out the first half of "Rage") is that on "Confound Delivery" Thoth is activated and the S'phr'Kr arrive, which evidently has not happened yet as of "Naw Man He's Close" etc, nor "By Committee" etc.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 24th '10, 01:09

Pfhorrest wrote:The only discontinuity I see (leaving out the first half of "Rage") is that on "Confound Delivery" Thoth is activated and the S'phr'Kr arrive, which evidently has not happened yet as of "Naw Man He's Close" etc, nor "By Committee" etc.

This happened on Confound Delivery, you say? The terminal messages from Tycho on that level don't actually say anything that infer that Thoth has been activated or the Spht'kr have arrived; Tycho just tells you to search for one of Thoth's submerged cores, but you don't do anything that involves activating him.

And I've always disagreed with the common belief that "Ne Cede Malis" happens right after "All Roads Lead to Sol" from Marathon 2, since from Infinity's manual introduction makes it clear that even the very beginning of Infinity takes place in a different universe. And due to Infinity's time-traveling nature and the fact that none of its timelines match up with Marathon 2, it would almost be accurate to say that Marathon Infinity is more like an alternate sequel to the original Marathon rather than a continuation of Marathon 2.
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Feb 24th '10, 01:37

Marathoner325 wrote:This happened on Confound Delivery, you say? The terminal messages from Tycho on that level don't actually say anything that infer that Thoth has been activated or the Spht'kr have arrived; Tycho just tells you to search for one of Thoth's submerged cores, but you don't do anything that involves activating him.

From same said terminals:

QUOTE(Tycho)
Functioning sensors show a massive structure entering a Lh'owon orbit. It may be some trick of Durandal's, but he won't get away. My ship carries the tri xeem--the early nova device. One way or another, it ends here.[/quote]
I've always figured that massive structure was K'lia, given that it apparently warrants the use of the trih xeem if necessary. If K'lia is here, then the S'pht'Kr have been recalled, and if the S'pht'Kr have been recalled then Thoth has been activated.

That said I agree completely that Ne Cede Malis is not immediately after M2, but neither is it the same timeline as the Infinity manual prologue. All three of those are different failed timelines. I'll look up and note the exact differences when I get home later...
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Feb 24th '10, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 25th '10, 20:40

Dugit wrote:Could it be Unity?

Possibly, though I may choose something a bit more dedicated for an FPS.
Fishman92

Post Feb 25th '10, 20:56

Fishman92 wrote:Possibly, though I may choose something a bit more dedicated for an FPS.

Try this. It's the (completely free) development kit for U3 Engine games.

Source also is easy to use/modify.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post Feb 25th '10, 23:20

Ahh thank you, I just wish it was for mac :( lol, but tks for finding that. If i do end up on a pc i'll use that. If not, well i dunno.
Fishman92

Post Feb 26th '10, 11:59

Actually, you could partition your hard drive and upload Windows on an empty partition (depending on the size of your hard drive). That could save you the trouble of needing a PC, as I know it is possible (one of my friends did this because Macs tend to work faster and have fewer errors than PCs).
Last edited by NXF on Feb 26th '10, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post Feb 26th '10, 15:57

fier wrote:Actually, you could partition your hard drive and upload Windows on an empty partition (depending on the size of your hard drive). That could save you the trouble of needing a PC, as I know it is possible (one of my friends did this because Macs tend to work faster and have fewer errors than PCs).

Genius!!!
Fishman92

Post Feb 26th '10, 17:12

A mac using Bootcamp to run windows is a PC, the only thing you really gain is Apple driver support, which is somewhat shitty (graphic card drivers are hardly ever updated). (I hope you are speaking about bootcamp because I seriously doubt UDK engine will run well using any virtualization technology like parallels or VMWare...)
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Feb 26th '10, 22:14

The UDK is a development kit for the Unreal 3 Engine, and it has surprisingly low system requirements. It allows you to create some pretty awesome looking games (cross platform I'm pretty sure) and if it needs some other software, it is usually included in the download or on the site.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post Feb 28th '10, 20:46

@Vlad quite true, which is why I dl graphics drivers from laptopvideo2go.com unless nvidia releases an official driver for their mobile cards which is relatively regular.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Feb 28th '10, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Mar 4th '10, 05:46

i think this all warrants it's own thread as it has nothing to do with anything.

nice concept art! i'd love to see how your aesthetic changes the hunters and enforcers. when i used to draw things for marathon i found those the most fun to play with.

screamingfool

Post Mar 16th '10, 08:24

screamingfool wrote:nice concept art! i'd love to see how your aesthetic changes the hunters and enforcers. when i used to draw things for marathon i found those the most fun to play with.

Thanks man! And it's funny you should mention the hunter, because he was on deck when you wrote this.

hunter_charge.jpg

I've always thought the shields on the hunter's arms would make for some great melee attacks.

Edit 1: Shield fixed. I noticed an error after posting. (3/16/2010)
Edit 2: Pfhorums format fix. (3/16/2013)
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Mar 16th '13, 19:43, edited 6 times in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Mar 16th '10, 08:41

Nice hunter!

goran

Post Mar 16th '10, 08:55

aye that is very nice. love how you interpreted the helmet.
might even use it as concept for a 3D hunter i plan to create, if you allow it that is.
Last edited by CryoS on Mar 16th '10, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Mar 16th '10, 17:17

Holy crap.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 16th '10, 19:56

That hunter is awesome. I think I might want to hide from it so it doesn't smack me right now...
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post Mar 16th '10, 22:06

gave it a first try, not too shabby but will probably redo it to resemble the image better.
[attachment=3632:3245325324_0002.jpg]
[attachment=3633:3245325324_0003.jpg]
Attachments
3245325324_0003.jpg
3245325324_0003.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
3245325324_0002.jpg
3245325324_0002.jpg (17.11 KiB) Viewed 2909 times

CryoS
The Dungeon

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Music