Gorans Highres Infinity Textures

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

These are generally good textures. I do think your bevelled edges would look much better if they were softened, though. Right now they look perfectly hard-edged, which is unrealistic. I'm not sure how you're creating the effect, but even just running a blur brush along the sharp edges ended up looking better when I tried it.
goran
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:I think your bevelled edges would look much better if they were softened. Running a blur brush along the sharp edges ended up looking better when I tried it.
Please show three examples side by side with my sharp ones.
Last edited by goran on Aug 16th '10, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Okay, have a look at these.

[attachment=4121:000.png]
[attachment=4122:006.png]
[attachment=4123:021.png]
What I did was draw over the sharp edges with a 5 pt blur brush set to only affect luminosity. This isn't the best way to do it, of course, because you're degrading quality by doing that. But hopefully it shows what I'm getting at: making the contours not look like they were cut with laser precision, with no erosion.

I also had a go at making similar contours from scratch.
[attachment=4124:005.png]
The top ridge was made by selecting a thin rectangle of pixels at the top and filling it with 50% gray, set to screen mode, and then the same for the bottom but set to multiply mode. For the bottom ridge, I used a gradient instead of a solid fill. The first and last 10% of the gradient was clamped to black for the screen and white for the multiply.

The circle on the left was made by selecting a circle of area, coloring it 50% gray on a new layer, and setting the layer to overlay mode. Then I went to the layer styles and turned on Bevel & Emboss, roughly matching the global light you used in your textures. For the circle on the right, I feathered the selection by 1 pixel before filling it with 50% gray.

I'm guessing you're using one of these two approaches to make the contours in your textures. In my opinion, the bottom ridge and the right circle look better than their counterparts (though less so for the circle than the ridge).
Attachments
005.png
005.png (441.17 KiB) Viewed 9282 times
021.png
021.png (353.04 KiB) Viewed 9289 times
006.png
006.png (488.51 KiB) Viewed 9293 times
000.png
000.png (499.22 KiB) Viewed 9288 times
goran
Vidmaster

Thanks for taking your time to show me this. I'm going to consult with some friends on this.
goran
Vidmaster

Crater Creator, is this better? (please don't mind the ventilation bars, I updated them too)

Last edited by goran on Aug 17th '10, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

I liked the previous version better.

I have a remark about the very first texture shown in this topic though (yeah I know it's been there for a while already). I think it would be better if the bevel layer that creates the black lines was above the layer that creates the three niches. As it is now, the black lines catch light as if they were flat. Especially the ventilator looks odd.
Last edited by Drictelt on Aug 17th '10, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
treellama
Vidmaster

I like the new version in post #30 the best, FWIW.
goran
Vidmaster

Drictelt wrote:I liked the previous version better.

I have a remark about the very first texture shown in this topic though (yeah I know it's been there for a while already). I think it would be better if the bevel layer that creates the black lines was above the layer that creates the three niches. As it is now, the black lines catch light as if they were flat. Especially the ventilator looks odd.
I'm sure this is covered under the critisism Crater Creator posted. If these updates takes a while, please be understanding. I mostly want to get time to do the remaining three sets.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think the new ventilator looks better, the old one reminded me of a column-like texture from Tempus Irae.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

G.S.10 wrote:Crater Creator, is this better? (please don't mind the ventilation bars, I updated them too)

[image snipped]
That looks great: this texture now looks like tile in a way it didn't before. You've got the idea, and the change to the ventilation just goes to show you're still comparing to the originals and paying attention to detail. I'd say don't be afraid to make those contours take more or less space to suit the individual texture, but beyond that, keep doing what you're doing. [MSmile] Getting a first pass on the other texture sets first is also a good idea.
goran
Vidmaster

The sewage set is getting close to complete. There's one texture I have a problem with (see attached image). The diagonal stripes are neither 45 nor 60 degrees. Instead their angle seem to be somewhat random, even between stripes. Making the texture tile is difficult for me.

Do you guys have any ideas of how to approach the diagonal pattern?
Attachments
014.png
014.png (32.25 KiB) Viewed 9284 times
Last edited by goran on Aug 28th '10, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

I don't think the angles are different between stripes?

The two angles are definitely perpendicular, so try this: draw it with horizontal and vertical lines instead, make it tile, then put four copies next to each other. Rotate that image CCW 22.5 degrees or whatever that angle is, and crop a square out of the middle.

There appears to be a line crossing the top and bottom of the texture exactly at the center, which should help choosing where to crop.
goran
Vidmaster

Thanks for the reply Treellama. I tried the method you suggested but it didn't quite work for me. In the end, I used a 45 degree diagonal pattern and stretched it to roughly fit the original texture. Cheap, but at least it worked.

Here's the result
Attachments
014.png
014.png (422.96 KiB) Viewed 9281 times
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

First thing that popped out to me were the jagged edges in the black. Will those be there in the final?
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
goran
Vidmaster

Yeah, I know =/

It is however, by far, the best result I've gotten so far. All previous version didn't tile for shit. This one tiles perfectly.

EDIT: Made the lines less pixelated.
Attachments
014.png
014.png (427.89 KiB) Viewed 9285 times
Last edited by goran on Aug 28th '10, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

I'm not saying it looks bad, actually it looks great. It just stuck out to me.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Why do you have that circle-and-octagon pattern on there? I don't see it in the original.
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Now that I look at the texture, the pattern is there, it's just really faint.
Last edited by Dis on Aug 28th '10, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
goran
Vidmaster

Dis wrote:Now that I look at the texture, the pattern is there, it's just really faint.
[MUp]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Dis wrote:Now that I look at the texture, the pattern is there, it's just really faint.
You can see what you want to see in that one, I guess.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:You can see what you want to see in that one, I guess.
[attachment=4203:kingofsh...dpatches.jpg]
Attachments
kingofshredsandpatches.jpg
kingofshredsandpatches.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

all jokes aside, i like the color palette of yours better. cryos' doesn't have enough gray in it for it to feel comparable to the original for me
dude, seriously. dude.
CryoS
Vidmaster

thermoplyae wrote:cryos'
wait what?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
treellama
Vidmaster

OK guys put your nametags back on. It's not funny any more.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

oh! goran, not cryos! the thread title is even "gorans highres infinity textures", guess i can't handle the pfhorums name game anymore
dude, seriously. dude.