Gorans Highres Infinity Textures

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
goran
Vidmaster

I'm working on high resolution textures for infinity's water set.
In your opinion, should high resolution textures use glowmaps where the normal infinity textures did not?

Pro:
It's cool.

Con:
Aesthetically, maps that were made with normal textures, will look quite different if glowmaps are applied.
Last edited by goran on Aug 15th '10, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Unless your textures are much more authentic than the TTEP I wouldn't worry about it. Some people use TTEP and don't mind that maps look totally different.

If your textures are very close to the Infinity textures, just make sure the glow maps are very conservative. If you're really worried, you can always just include two plugins in the same zip file.
goran
Vidmaster

They are much more authentic than TTEP. Here's a sample:

With conservative, do you mean dim?

Two plugins is a good sollution. I'll go with that.
treellama
Vidmaster

Conservative: only glow map parts of textures that are clearly light emitters. For example: the dots on your above texture. Only hard core purists would have a problem with that, and depending on how hard core they are, they can disable bloom, or they aren't going to use your textures anyway.

That texture looks good. Reminds me a little of the ones Visciom did for the water set--you could save yourself a little work by getting permission to re-use his, which should be no problem.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/gallery/ma ... 99b1a6547a
Last edited by treellama on Aug 9th '10, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Zott
Vidmaster

I like it. Personally I would have no problem with glowmaps, it makes sense considering how the texture would be used anyways.

Will you be doing Bump maps as well as Glowmaps?

Keep up the good work.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
goran
Vidmaster

Treellama:
Viscioms textures look good! Too bad I already have all those textures. If I do the sewage set I'll get in touch with him.

Zott:
I'm going experiment with bump maps. If I can pull it off well, they will all have bump maps.
goran
Vidmaster

How strong should one go with the bloom? I get ugly results with full force 100%.
Right now I have them at 30% intensity of the glowmap.

Any prefered strength?
Last edited by goran on Aug 11th '10, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

The self luminescent colors are blended at 50% if that's any help.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

There are places in the original textures clearly meant to be used as light sources, like the white circles in your example treellama pointed out. These are instances where I think Bungie would've made them glow, given the chance. I would prefer those areas to glow in a replacement texture.

All the replacement textures I've seen for original Bungie textures attempt to simulate glow and bump effects by coloring the diffuse map itself. In other words they were made without glow and bump maps in mind, so they just fake it. Now would be a good time to make a batch where the illusion of bump comes solely from the bump map, and the illusion of glow comes solely from the glow map. Put differently, these textures would only look like the originals when using all three (diffuse, bump, glow) at once; the diffuse by itself would look flat and unlit.
goran
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:All the replacement textures I've seen for original Bungie textures attempt to simulate glow and bump effects by coloring the diffuse map itself. In other words they were made without glow and bump maps in mind, so they just fake it. Now would be a good time to make a batch where the illusion of bump comes solely from the bump map, and the illusion of glow comes solely from the glow map. Put differently, these textures would only look like the originals when using all three (diffuse, bump, glow) at once; the diffuse by itself would look flat and unlit.
I have a suspicion that modern game engines have far more sophisticated renderers, which allow them to do what you described. Have you tried bumpmaps in A1 enough to make you confident in your suggestion? In my own experience, a plain texture + bump map will not look satisfactionary good.
treellama
Vidmaster

G.S.10 wrote:I have a suspicion that modern game engines have far more sophisticated renderers, which allow them to do what you described.
I don't believe even this is the case. Texturing must still involve lots of faking it.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

This is great Goran!

I like the amount of glow you have in your sample.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
goran
Vidmaster

The textures are now ready for download

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/gorans-water-set

Please let me know what you think of them.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

G.S.10 wrote:I have a suspicion that modern game engines have far more sophisticated renderers, which allow them to do what you described. Have you tried bumpmaps in A1 enough to make you confident in your suggestion? In my own experience, a plain texture + bump map will not look satisfactionary good.
No, I haven't. What I mean to say is, existing replacement textures like the TTEP were made at a time when the diffuse map was WYSIWYG. Texture artists should keep in mind that's no longer the case. That means not being afraid of making a diffuse map that doesn't look right without the bump, alpha, and glow maps adding to the final result.
goran
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:No, I haven't. What I mean to say is, existing replacement textures like the TTEP were made at a time when the diffuse map was WYSIWYG. Texture artists should keep in mind that's no longer the case. That means not being afraid of making a diffuse map that doesn't look right without the bump, alpha, and glow maps adding to the final result.
If I had a more powerful computer I might be more sympathetic to your cause. :)
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wait a minute... one of your textures is a problem.

A very nice looking problem, but a problem none the less.

Take a second look, and then look at the original texture. Its alignment is 180° off on the x-axis. If you use this with a wall that was textured using original textures, it would be misaligned. If you use this to texture, and someone using original textures is playing your map, it would be misaligned. I only noticed because I became curious enough to compare software rendering and shader rendering using your texture replacements. They're very authentic! But unfortunately this is an issue.

[attachment=4105:009.png]
Attachments
009.png
009.png (344.28 KiB) Viewed 15429 times
Last edited by Kurinn on Aug 13th '10, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Thanks! :)

I forgot to turn that texture back after I had edited in the lamp.

Uploaded a 1.1 version
-alignment error with texture 009 fixed
-texture 013 is updated
goran
Vidmaster

Making High Res Infinity Textures is a mind boggling experiece. The first lesson: Stare at any given texture until you understand how to mix it properly.

Edit: Upon further inspection I've detected more textures that were used for the white square.
Attachments
lolol.jpg
lolol.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 15436 times
Last edited by goran on Aug 13th '10, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've noticed this phenomenon several times before, but not with this texture. Good observation!
goran
Vidmaster

The Lava Set is now Ready

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/gorans-lava-set

EDIT: Renamed this topic to "Gorans Highres Infinity Textures". A better name for the purpose I use this thread for.
Last edited by goran on Aug 15th '10, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

These are fantastic. I can finally use hi-res textures in Infinity!

It wouldn't be a treellama post without a few observations:I was able to install the water plugin just by putting the zip file in my plugins directory. The lava plugin was a zip-in-a-zip so it took an extra step to install. I like the first way better.The water plugin has tasteful glow maps enabled for the light emitting textures, but it doesn't seem like the lava plugin does--just the lava texture itself. Is this correct?Water 29 has a few white rectangles on it, that though they are present in the original texture, keep making me think they're texture artifacts. Maybe they would be more convincing if they were subtle/stopped at the circular bevel on the texture
I will probably make DXTC versions of these for my old PowerBook, which doesn't have very much VRAM. Would you like me to upload them?
goran
Vidmaster

Thanks!

I will look into water texture 29 and the lava glowmaps and see what I can do. The installation will be fixed for next version of the lava set.

What is a DXTC version and how can I make them? I was meaning to convert the textures to dds eventually, but it's good to have them in png in the beginning to make updates.
treellama
Vidmaster

G.S.10 wrote:What is a DXTC version and how can I make them? I was meaning to convert the textures to dds eventually, but it's good to have them in png in the beginning to make updates.
DXTC is just the compression used in compressed DDS textures. As you know, Aorta can generate them. If you need help with the settings let me know.

You're right about keeping the masters as PNG.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I mostly run A1 on an old computer...DDS would be much appreciated.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
goran
Vidmaster

I will try to update my uploads to 1.2 sometime during the coming week and make them all dds.