Gorans Highres Infinity Textures

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
goran
Vidmaster

Another one
Attachments
pfhor.png
pfhor.png (110.1 KiB) Viewed 9940 times
Coraxus
Cyborg

Impressive. No way I could have easily reworked the original textures as fast and as good as you can for Infinity. I've only had small opportunity to work on my texture project for Durandal. I hope to see you plan to do them as well seeing that you already have some of the ground work already set up for that.
goran
Vidmaster

A small update to the lava set has been uploaded. This update fix an error on texture 18. A thin vertical line (too bright) was removed.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

It may interest you to know I've started a new playthrough of Infinity's campaign, and I'm thoroughly enjoying all your textures, along with rotating 3D items and the full-screen HUD. I just now realized I don't have lava 2.0, so I'll rectify that so I can have bump maps in two collections. Your commitment to these textures has been long-lasting and uncompromising.
goran
Vidmaster

Yes it interest me a great deal. I thrive on praise :)
Last edited by goran on Nov 1st '12, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Im back in business.

Next up:
Update the Jjarro Set with Bump maps like the water and lava set.
Textures that I rework will be redone in 1024x1024.

Below is a preview of a new version of texture 26 (It is not finished yet). You can see more "dirt" on this version compared to the old one.
Attachments
26new.jpg
goran
Vidmaster

I have changed my mind. I will still work with 512x512. 1024x1024 takes too much time...and as far as I am concerned, this is good enough.
Attachments
Progress on Sewage 2.0
Progress on Sewage 2.0
treellama
Vidmaster

512x512 is the right balance for quality vs download size, too.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

It also makes the sprites look ever-so-slightly less low res.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I agree. Your 512's still have plenty of detail, and match or exceed the typical resolution for something that size in other games.

It wasn't until I saw the full size image a second time that I noticed the normal map on the floor texture. I like how it pulls off a rougher, more pebbly effect. I also notice what I think is a faked shadow at the bottom of the door texture. That's a nice technique: door textures will almost always be on walls, not floors or ceilings, so you can bake in lighting that assumes the texture will be used upright that could look wrong in other textures. On the other hand, the texture does look stretched where there's a lot of depth change. Is it possible to reduce the appearance of that without having to increase the resolution or lessen the depth?

Some day I'll have to pick up my exhaustive critique of every texture. [MSmile]
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:I also notice what I think is a faked shadow at the bottom of the door texture.
That's on the original texture, though the lip casting the shadow is a bit less noticeable than in Goran's, if you aren't looking for it:
Sewage 029.png
Sewage 029.png (16.73 KiB) Viewed 9598 times
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
goran
Vidmaster

I have found a way to get rid of the bump map artifacts without lowering the contrast. Basically I introduce more lines between steep areas. 1-3 lines depending on difference. This will create a slight slope instead of a 90 degree turn.
Attachments
artifacts_sollution.png
artifacts_sollution.png (4.62 KiB) Viewed 9591 times
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

President People: Right you are.

goran: Yes, that's effectively what I pointed out all the way back on page 2, just applied to bump maps rather than the diffuse [MTongue]. Try blurring the line for smoother (and quicker) results.
goran
Vidmaster

It is not exactly the same. You can still experience artifacts between two rounded corners if the difference is high enough. The smooth tool should get rid of it, but it is not guaranteed that the result will be exactly as you had imagined it. I prefer to calculate the slope and then apply it with the pen tool.