New Picture

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Nathan92
Cyborg

Tried a more realistic style I've been working with recently. I've been wanting do do a good marathon piece for a while now, and it feels like forever since I finished another one.

Bigger Guns Nearby:
T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!
CryoS
Vidmaster

nice one nathan.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Pfhor in the helmet visor reflection is one of those "why hasn't anyone thought of this before?" things.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Very good!
Dugit
Vidmaster

I love it. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

5/5
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:44 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - PB
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 13:22 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB
Twitch
Zott
Vidmaster

I like it overall. Is he wearing a stocking on his hand, or did he just finish reading some very fine newsprint?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
irons
Vidmaster

WE HAVE HAD THIS DEBATE BEFORE

MARINE'S HANDS ARE THAT COLOR BECAUSE HE IS BLACK

P.S. - Good work. I think the AR is usually represented as a larger weapon in e.g. Mullins works. Maybe I'm wrong.
Last edited by irons on Oct 5th '10, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

You are a beastly drawer.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

irons wrote:WE HAVE HAD THIS DEBATE BEFORE

Pretty sure we didn't come to that conclusion. The Marine is obviously Filipino.
irons
Vidmaster

Nazi admins locked the thread in 2007. I would continue this dead flamewar except it turns out that Nathan was the poor guy who got shitstormed way back then, too. I encourage someone to create a thread, continuing where the guys left off. Keep up the good work, Nathan, and don't let these racists get you down.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
goran
Vidmaster

I'm pretty sure the marine is a white man who got black hands through surgery. That makes more sense than a black guy who got a white head through surgery.
Nathan92
Cyborg

Thanks guys! Glad you like it, lets hope that my topic doesn't get turned into another race debate. :D
irons
Vidmaster

Race debate is here. What do you think about gun size, Nathan?
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:What do you think about gun size, Nathan?
Definitely not compensating for anything
and yes I know you didn't ask me.
irons
Vidmaster

Well those sorts of comments are to be expected. But I'm only wondering because, to put it less politely, I want to know if there is an unintended problem with proportion in Nathan's drawing
where the character dwarfs his weapon, or if he's going for a realism where guns can't always be HUGE, or if he's making a statement that the real weapon is the character, etc etc etc. I am definitely not one who thinks all guns gotta be big to hide a tiny penis.
Zott
Vidmaster

I wasn't talking about the color, [MErr] I was referring to the texture consisting of dots like a newsprint or the pattern on stocking. Just wondering what Nathen92 meant it to be. Was it for the purpose of leaving the race ambiguous?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Phobos-Romulus
Mjolnir Mark IV

In the game, he appears to always be wearing brownish colored gloves, and they had an almost canvas-like texture to them. So to end the race thing, they're gloves, not his uncovered hands.
Nathan92
Cyborg

I know that Mullins usually made the weapons a bit big. I made it the size it was, so it didn't look too comical and oversized. I played with the size of the weapon in the sketch and it looked best this way.

and about the gloves, I should maybe use a different texture, but in the game I always thought they looked like Canvas-textured gloves, like Phobos said.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

hey Nathan, good call on the weapon size
and always neat to see your pics, especially those about M1. Keep 'em coming and get everyone addicted ;)
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

G.S.10 wrote:I'm pretty sure the marine is a white man who got black hands through surgery. That makes more sense than a black guy who got a white head through surgery.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nathan92 wrote:I know that Mullins usually made the weapons a bit big.
Did you read the M1 manual?

The MA-75 is a .75 Caliber assault rifle with a grenade launcher and a 65 round drum mag.

I assume a .75 cal rifle would be pretty big.
"Escape will make me God"
L'howon
Vidmaster

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Did you read the M1 manual?

The MA-75 is a .75 Caliber assault rifle with a grenade launcher and a 65 round drum mag.

I assume a .75 cal rifle would be pretty big.
Your assumption would be correct - there's not really a modern example of a .75 caliber weapon, but the closest thing to it is Brown Bess Infantry Rifle, which was used primarily by British Infantry men. The wiki page on bullet caliber gives a measurement for a .75 caliber round as 19mm[1], and for reference, 20mm rounds were/are used in anti-tank, anti-air roles as well as general purpose against buildings and various vehicles. 20mm are/were also deployed in the popular 'Vulcan' gatling gun.

Example of a 20mm round vs a 9mm

Of course hurr durr it's a science fiction based game, carrying around even a couple drums of .75 ammo would be prohibitively heavy, unnecessarily expensive in terms of equipping an army, and thus not likely to be used as widely as the abundance of ammunition for it would imply. If anything, it might play a speciality role in taking down cyborg soldiers, since one could infer that if they're anything like the players character they can handle quite a bit of punishment. It's more likely that the Marathon crew would've had something that fired .308, or even .50cal ammunition for anti-infantry purposes and general ease of use. Without knowing the specifics of Pfhor exoskeleton stress limits, we really can't say how necessary .75cal ammunition would be. That being said, musket rounds and even .50cal rounds are known for not so much shooting people as for blowing holes in torsos and tearing limbs off. A .75cal round, especially a HE one, would likely pulp a Pfhor Shock Staff Infantry.

tl;dr Yes, very big.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Furray
Born on Board

I think the Bungie crew were ignorant towards guns and thier specs. They probably never even fired one back then.
The guy who is alotted a lot, and I mean"a lot,"of rockets to the face.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Furray wrote:I think the Bungie crew were ignorant towards guns and thier specs. They probably never even fired one back then.
Sometimes I think that was a good thing... The weapons kept getting less and less imaginative.
If they did Marathon in 2011, after Halo, they would have done some dumb thing like:

The MA-75 shoots 5.56 rounds
The Pistol has no scope, just sights, and shoots boring 9mm ammo
The fusion pistol is a taser
the Shotgun is a semi-automatic 20 gauge.
the rocket launcher must be manually fed every shot, also, you will have to spend three levels before finding another rocket.

also, dual wielding has been removed due to lack of realism.

Thank god Marathon wasn't like that.

Also, the abundance clearly did not last, because as we learned in Durandal, they could not produce the weapons any longer and started creating lower powered weapons.
Last edited by zero on Jan 26th '11, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Escape will make me God"