Envy's Hires Player Sprites

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Oct 26th '10, 23:29

I found Marathon back in '08 and found that it had one of the most enthralling stories I have ever seen crammed into a game, and also, that the gameplay was beyond comparison. The transition from modern games to this revealed to me how far technology had come, and how we were getting stupider with every passing hour. I played this, and one thing stuck out. After I downloaded every add-on from the get go, everything looked perfect and nice, except for the sprites. You'll recall my first or second post, where I posed the silly question "How come we haven't done this janx yet?" and proceeded to learn what trolling was.
Now, I find that I am able to do what I had once wanted.

Every aspect of this endeavor is open to suggestion, I have no goals or desires beyond giving Marathon what it deserves, some nice player sprites.

You'll notice that in the title screens from the second two installments, the player is seen in a wide range of different armors. I had always wanted to run around with them in game, and I think I could make all of those from scratch and plop them on this guy. All of them correlate to one of the multiplayer colors except for orange and purple, I believe, so this may be a nice touch. Alternatively, more of you might want the color scheme to change and nothing else. This is why I've posted this. Bash and critique as much as you please. Just say something.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Oct 27th '10, 00:10

Envy wrote:You'll notice that in the title screens from the second two installments, the player is seen in a wide range of different armors. I had always wanted to run around with them in game, and I think I could make all of those from scratch and plop them on this guy. All of them correlate to one of the multiplayer colors except for orange and purple, I believe, so this may be a nice touch. Alternatively, more of you might want the color scheme to change and nothing else.

It might be better to have multiple plugins, one for each suit of armor, to suit the player's tastes, with color variations corresponding to each color table.

About the model, the marine looks a bit too stout around the torso and thighs. An armor suggestion would be the one terminal pict from M2, where Durandal talks about how Bernard Strauss was afraid of you. Another could possibly be an M1 version with the sock-things. :P
Attachments
M1_Marine.png
M1_Marine.png (32.04 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
10701.png
10701.png (33.29 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
Last edited by President People on Oct 27th '10, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Oct 27th '10, 00:19

More armor on torso
Cover the flesh (except on the face)
higher boots and cut the knee pads
more ripped body (thinner)

goran

Post Oct 27th '10, 00:28

I never liked the boots, but ok, noted.
Just for future notice, try not to get too technical, Goran and Pres are fine, but I want to have a direction to go in before I start adding things. Consensus says you guys want it pretty original, and when we (I) know what to do, I'll start to add cool detail work.
thanks!
Edit:
The weight watching vegan Officer with rain boots is here! I hope its sexy enough for Goran.

Keep criticizing!
Last edited by envy on Oct 27th '10, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

envy

Post Oct 27th '10, 07:03

I like the second one. Nice one there, Envy! However, I must ask- gloves?

I liked the old boots. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 27th '10, 08:25

I'm glad he has stopped eating pizzas and burgers :)

goran

Post Oct 27th '10, 19:45

still too fat
VikingBoyBilly

Post Oct 27th '10, 21:12

I won't make him skinnier. Sorry, theres just too much Captain America in him already.
I've run through 3 kinds of gloves (all pleather, semi metal, full metal) and they all looked silly.
I'll keep at it.

envy

Post Oct 28th '10, 07:19

Envy is no doubt going off reference images, but for those of us too lazy to look up or recall the original sprites from memory, here is one for comparison.
[attachment=4397:marine.gif]

It looks to me like the boots come up higher in front in order to protect the shins, like greaves. Also, I remember when I made a model of the marine for Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge, I estimated all those high-res sprites would add 3 MB to the download size just to double the resolution, which still wouldn't be all that high. Just be prepared that this is going to take a lot of tedious animation and rendering.
Attachments
marine.gif
marine.gif (12.86 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
Last edited by Crater Creator on Oct 28th '10, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Creator

Post Oct 28th '10, 14:36

VikingBoyBilly wrote:still too fat

Seeing the reference picture, I have to agree with you. He's still too fat to match the marine's original body.

goran

Post Oct 28th '10, 16:20

VikingBoyBilly wrote:still too fat

Thirded. I notice it first in the hips and thighs, but he could probably use trimming in the arms and waist as well.

Looking at the most recent picture, the indication of the pectorals is too rounded and low (edit: especially on the sides), suggesting the possibility of breasts. For pectorals, consider a more angular shape. In terms of the basic shape, think trapezoid rather than oval.

EDIT: it's me!
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Oct 28th '10, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Oct 28th '10, 20:46

looking at the actual marine again, I realize that he's pretty thin, but look at my guy, he's going to die of malnutrition. Thinner suit? anyways, does anyone know the function of the lense-looking thing over his heart area? knowing what it does would help in its design.
Attachments
Screen_shot_2010_10_28_at_4.59.28_PM.png
Screen_shot_2010_10_28_at_4.59.28_PM.png (107.04 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
Last edited by envy on Oct 28th '10, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

envy

Post Oct 28th '10, 20:59

I'd guess that the grey button and armor he has around his torso enables the shields. Maybe the grey button has a plugin for the recharger?

It could also be the motion sensor.

...or just a regular button :P
Last edited by goran on Oct 28th '10, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Oct 28th '10, 21:03

shouldn't the shields be on already? that would be inconvenient to have to press that button anytime you think you're going to get shot. Also, those canisters have those little applicators at the top so i think those go elsewhere.
Maybe its a projector.

envy

Post Oct 28th '10, 21:19

I think it's his weak point, but that probably doesn't help that much.

TectonInd

Post Oct 28th '10, 23:15

anyways, does anyone know the function of the lense-looking thing over his heart area?

I always figured it was the marathon symbol... probably because I saw Craig Mullin's artwork and just sort of assumed it. Sort of like an insignia showing alliances? However, in the picture it isn't quite as protruding, so probably not. Maybe it is a giant pin that holds his suit together. :P

However, if you make the marine look like that artwork I'd be more than happy. He appear in line with the "not anorexic" category. Plus I like the visor's bending with the brow, present in both the player sprite and that artwork.
Last edited by Zott on Oct 28th '10, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Oct 29th '10, 01:03

Zott wrote:Maybe it is a giant pin that holds his suit together. :P

So yeah, his weak point.

TectonInd

Post Oct 29th '10, 06:07

Envy wrote:Thinner suit?

Yes, I think that's the way to go. It looks like the marine as seen in the sprites is wearing a form-fitting bodysuit, not unlike under armor, with specific pieces of armor worn on top of it. I think Jay Faircloth had the right idea with his digital paintings like this one.

The asymmetry on the over armor, such as the large round emblem, is interesting. It gives a sense that the protection is imperfect, or perhaps that the marine hastily slapped on his armor lopsidedly given the urgency of his mission.

Crater Creator

Post Oct 31st '10, 03:31

I get it. The strap is what holds the back plate on, and the lens/dial is either the release or its completely unrelated.
Edit: M1 sock boots are GO, haven't gotten to replacing the backplate straps, more definition to the pecks, as asked for.
got yonder forearm and wrist protectors, some plain black leather gloves, and a rectus femoris/vastus medalis/other muscles I can't remember protector. The shoes need some polishing, but, tomorrow.
Attachments
Screen_shot_2010_10_31_at_1.16.19_AM.png
Screen_shot_2010_10_31_at_1.16.19_AM.png (497.37 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
Last edited by envy on Oct 31st '10, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.

envy

Post Oct 31st '10, 09:04

That's much better- the anorexic marine we know and love. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 31st '10, 14:30

That actually DOES look much better, now we just need to see him with a weapon.

TectonInd

Post Oct 31st '10, 18:49

So whats the verdict on the different armor different color situation? I have the basic person parameters down, but should I do all the sets of corresponding armors/colors or should I just change the colors of this guy and start posing and making guns?

envy

Post Nov 30th '10, 12:39

I don't think it's possible to have different sprites for different colored players, so I'd suggest you just refine the existing model before starting to make weapons.
Embrace imagination.

chinkeeyong
Singapore

Post Nov 30th '10, 13:59

chinkeeyong wrote:I don't think it's possible to have different sprites for different colored players

If you don't know, you could ask, rather than making something up.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 30th '10, 14:06

Well, is it?
Embrace imagination.

chinkeeyong
Singapore

Next

Return to Artwork and Music