cheap Bank Gothic

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Nov 8th '10, 18:41

For a limited time, Alphabet Soup is offering their Bank Gothic clone, DeLuxe Gothic, at 50% off. Evidently they were threatened with legal action over its original name "Bank Gothic AS". This is one of the variants that has a true lowercase as well as the traditional small caps.
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 8th '10, 20:37

Gothic bank for sale, cheap!
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 10th '10, 01:26

Uhhh, incase you weren't aware, the real Bank Gothic is included in the standard theme that comes with every Aleph One build. Besides, Bank Gothic is a pretty plain font to me, you should try fontgarden.com. You get free fonts (most of the time) and internet wisdom!

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 10th '10, 02:11

Pfhorrest wrote:Gothic bank for sale, cheap!

YES!! I'll take it. Now where do I have to put my signature?

thedoctor45

Post Nov 10th '10, 20:06

Shadowbreaker wrote:Uhhh, incase you weren't aware, the real Bank Gothic is included in the standard theme that comes with every Aleph One build. Besides, Bank Gothic is a pretty plain font to me, you should try fontgarden.com. You get free fonts (most of the time) and internet wisdom!

I didn't realize BG was free to distribute. I looked at the one in the ?? download; it's the Bitstream version. (I do believe that was the first digital version of BG.) It sells for $24.95 at myfonts.com. The accompanying TXT file says copyright info is at fontzone.com but I couldn't track it down. However, font-zone.com does offer a free download, but I still couldn't find copyright info.
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 10th '10, 20:22

ChristTrekker wrote:I didn't realize BG was free to distribute.

It isn't. Neither are Chicago and Monaco, from the Fonts file. Aleph One can probably do without BG; I'm pretty uncomfortable with it being in there, but removing it would be painful as well. I've been waiting for a new theme or a dedicated fan to draw a free version of BG.

The experience without those two Apple fonts for the HUD is really terrible.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 10th '10, 21:09

Treellama wrote:It isn't. Neither are Chicago and Monaco, from the Fonts file. Aleph One can probably do without BG; I'm pretty uncomfortable with it being in there, but removing it would be painful as well. I've been waiting for a new theme or a dedicated fan to draw a free version of BG.

The experience without those two Apple fonts for the HUD is really terrible.

Is Virtue (free near-clone of Charcoal) close enough to Chicago?

Sorry I can't think of anything else sufficiently like Monaco. It's rather unique. It is one of my favorite monospace fonts too.

Weelllll?maybe I'll have to spend some time on a BG clone after all?
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 10th '10, 22:01

ChristTrekker wrote:Is Virtue (free near-clone of Charcoal) close enough to Chicago?

Oh, hey! Let's give that a try.

Monaco is used for the terminal texts, and a font with even slightly different metrics may cause differences in the number of pages--so I don't know how to get away from that one. The built-in mono font is essentially renamed Bitstream Vera, and looks pretty good for rendering terminals, aside from the page alignment issue.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 11th '10, 03:31

Treellama wrote:Oh, hey! Let's give that a try.

Monaco is used for the terminal texts

Erm? I thought Courier was used for the terminal texts? Pretty sure it was in the originals...

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 11th '10, 07:28

Yeah, terminals must use Courier. This here is Courier New for comparison (and because why not [spnkr] ).

Crater Creator

Post Nov 11th '10, 14:05

Courier, Monaco, you know what I meant :)

Maybe we use actual Monaco for annotations in the overhead map? But, we can ditch it for the built-in mono font, it's the terminal texts that are still the problem.
Last edited by treellama on Nov 11th '10, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 12th '10, 02:12

OK, let's end this font name confusion:

Courier is used for the terminals and terminal titles.
Monaco is used for the HUD and overhead map.
Chicago is not used anywhere.

So, Virtue, while a nice font, doesn't help.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 12th '10, 02:53

I could swear that Marathon originally used Chicago somewhere, and I thought it was in the HUD (but not the map)... but you probably just checked the source for the post above, so I'll take your word for it.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 12th '10, 03:07

Pfhorrest wrote:I could swear that Marathon originally used Chicago somewhere, and I thought it was in the HUD (but not the map)... but you probably just checked the source for the post above, so I'll take your word for it.

Well, it used it for all the dialogs, in System 7 :D

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 12th '10, 14:38

Treellama wrote:Well, it used it for all the dialogs, in System 7 :D

Well then, by golly, we need to get back to our roots and restore it! [MLaugh]
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 12th '10, 14:48

ChristTrekker wrote:Well then, by golly, we need to get back to our roots and restore it! [MLaugh]

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 12th '10, 14:54

Haha, reminds me of an old Macintosh Plus. Sure brings back memories...
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Nov 12th '10, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Nov 12th '10, 19:54

[MUp] [MSmile] That's a riot! [MGrin] [MLaugh]
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 12th '10, 20:29

It was never updated to the new theme format, sadly. It's still available if someone wants to update it to theme2:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/marath ... 000-10-07/

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 29th '10, 14:19

Treellama wrote:Courier is used for the terminals and terminal titles.
Monaco is used for the HUD and overhead map.
Chicago is not used anywhere.

Treellama, where's BG used, then? Is it just the buttons in the main/prefs/level screens? What's the font in the scrolling lists and other widgets?

Others, I've got a rough cut that includes all majuscules and most miniscules, but no numerals and little punctuation. Looks promising so far, but in my experience creating fonts, building characters is easy, spacing is the hard/fiddly part.
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 29th '10, 14:36

ChristTrekker wrote:Treellama, where's BG used, then? Is it just the buttons in the main/prefs/level screens? What's the font in the scrolling lists and other widgets?

Bank Gothic is used for buttons and tabs. Everything else is Deja Vu Sans Condensed Bold.
Last edited by treellama on Nov 29th '10, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Artwork and Music