Aleph One 1.3b1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Re: Aleph One 1.3b1

Post Oct 15th '18, 02:47

I've not been able to get the mouse working in a sane way in either Windows or Linux. What settings are the equivalent of the old mouse settings with "accelerate mouse" off and separate sensitivities for horizontal/vertical?

Edit: It looks like the bug where secondary fire doesn't register the first time only happens with raw input.

Also, I can edit the preferences file directly to set a sane value for vertical sensitivity, but I'm hoping that will somehow be fixed before release, so people don't need to go manually modify their preferences every time they change settings.

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 15th '18, 12:09

Wrkncacnter wrote:What settings are the equivalent of the old mouse settings with "accelerate mouse" off and separate sensitivities for horizontal/vertical?

If you check the preferences file, it should be pretty obvious. Just in case though:

Code: Select all
<input
  sens_horizontal="32768"
  sens_vertical="32768"
  mouse_acceleration="false"
>

"Accelerate Mouse: True/False" will become "Mouse Acceleration: Classic/Modern" in 1.3 final, and will default to "Modern" in keeping with Aleph One's misguided attempt to appeal to new gamers :D

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 15th '18, 18:24

Did it use "raw input" or "os input" before?
New gamers (and old gamers) won't like having to modify their preferences file with a text editor.

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 19th '18, 05:32

So I’ve finally gotten around to trying this, and it says it’s damaged and can’t be opened and should be moved to the Trash. Just to be certain, I downloaded it twice. I downloaded AlephOne-20181006-Mac.dmg and am attempting to run it on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I can provide other info as needed, but IDK what’s relevant.

…I suppose it’s remotely possible that it’s relevant that I have 1.2 running separately in windowed mode, but I kind of doubt it.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Oct 19th '18, 06:05

I just redownloaded the same file that Aaron mentions and it only gives me the normal "are you sure you want to open this scary unapproved thing that didn't come from the app store?" warning, not the "damaged" one I was getting with the first b1 upload, that he's getting now.

However, when I told it to go ahead and open after that, it didn't. It did nothing.

The copy I downloaded two weeks ago still works just fine, though.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Oct 26th '18, 20:37

Wrkncacnter wrote:Edit: It looks like the bug where secondary fire doesn't register the first time only happens with raw input.

So do you have secondary fire assigned to a mouse button? Which one? What if you press it right after you start up Aleph One, does it then work in game?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 26th '18, 21:12

I have secondary fire bound to left click, so yeah, it may have nothing to do with secondary fire at all. I also couldn't reproduce it reliably a few days later when I tried again. I know other people have said they noticed the same or similar issues though, so it's not just me. Someone was saying they were having trouble using whichever button they used to skip a chapter screen, but I couldn't duplicate his issue either at the time.

When I was having the problem, I was definitely left clicking to select a map before the game started.

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 27th '18, 01:36

For whatever it’s worth, TL was right that A1 1.3 would run Eternal with no problems on my Dell. Can’t figure out why the Mac version won’t work. It also doesn’t seem to load Chronicles; it claims it can’t find the Shapes/Map/Images/Sounds files, even though they all appear to have the default names as far as I can tell. No .sceA suffixes or whatever. I thought case sensitivity might be causing the problem, but I’ve corrected that and it’s still happening.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 19th '18, 02:05

Mouse: the "OS input" option is supposed to behave just like 1.2. A lot of the code was reworked to accommodate SDL 2, but I double-checked the scaling and acceleration code today, and it produces the same input flags given the same mouse-movement values. (There is one difference related to very small mouse movements, which I'll revert in the next beta so we can compare apples to apples.) This suggests issues in SDL rather than Aleph One-specific code, which is frustrating but fits with treellama's report of Linux acting differently. It's also possible I'm misusing SDL in some way.

Mac: if b2 doesn't launch after approving the Gatekeeper messages, please try to launch it a second time. That seemed to work on my test machine. It looks like Apple's security restrictions break Aleph One's ability to find data within the app bundle, but if the app is fully approved before launch, it's okay. Next beta, I'll implement another layer of approval and see if that helps.

Hopper

Post Nov 19th '18, 02:16

Wrkncacnter wrote:It has come to my attention that all of the starting terminals in Mararthon: Yuge (the bigliest scenario ever created) are broken in the beta version of AlephOne. They work just fine in the latest stable.

The terminal code isn't finding a relevant group for the current level status. This suggests the terminals are missing the #UNFINISHED tag. It works in 1.0-1.2 by accident: some Marathon 1 compatibility code was being applied to all scenarios. I tried to unpack Yuge to see what Atque thought of the terminals, but it just crashed.

Hopper

Post Nov 19th '18, 02:28

Hopper wrote:I tried to unpack Yuge to see what Atque thought of the terminals, but it just crashed.

Haha

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 19th '18, 02:42

No idea why it's crashing for you, it works fine for me, and I'm sure a few other people have split it successfully. But you're right, somehow it's missing #UNFINISHED :(

Thanks for finding that.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 19th '18, 12:39

I can send you an unmerged copy of the Yuge map if needed, lol.

I'll try that thing with the Mac version later, but I don't recall trying to open it a second time doing anything differently.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 1st '18, 09:53

I finally tried the Mac version again. It keeps saying it’s damaged and can’t be opened, and I should move it to the Trash. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do in response to this, but I don’t think it has anything to do with the Gatekeeper message.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Previous

Return to Aleph One Discussion