Aleph One 1.3b1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I've not been able to get the mouse working in a sane way in either Windows or Linux. What settings are the equivalent of the old mouse settings with "accelerate mouse" off and separate sensitivities for horizontal/vertical?

Edit: It looks like the bug where secondary fire doesn't register the first time only happens with raw input.

Also, I can edit the preferences file directly to set a sane value for vertical sensitivity, but I'm hoping that will somehow be fixed before release, so people don't need to go manually modify their preferences every time they change settings.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:What settings are the equivalent of the old mouse settings with "accelerate mouse" off and separate sensitivities for horizontal/vertical?
If you check the preferences file, it should be pretty obvious. Just in case though:

Code: Select all

<input
  sens_horizontal="32768"
  sens_vertical="32768"
  mouse_acceleration="false"
>
"Accelerate Mouse: True/False" will become "Mouse Acceleration: Classic/Modern" in 1.3 final, and will default to "Modern" in keeping with Aleph One's misguided attempt to appeal to new gamers :D
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Did it use "raw input" or "os input" before?
New gamers (and old gamers) won't like having to modify their preferences file with a text editor.
The Man
Vidmaster

So I’ve finally gotten around to trying this, and it says it’s damaged and can’t be opened and should be moved to the Trash. Just to be certain, I downloaded it twice. I downloaded AlephOne-20181006-Mac.dmg and am attempting to run it on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I can provide other info as needed, but IDK what’s relevant.

…I suppose it’s remotely possible that it’s relevant that I have 1.2 running separately in windowed mode, but I kind of doubt it.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I just redownloaded the same file that Aaron mentions and it only gives me the normal "are you sure you want to open this scary unapproved thing that didn't come from the app store?" warning, not the "damaged" one I was getting with the first b1 upload, that he's getting now.

However, when I told it to go ahead and open after that, it didn't. It did nothing.

The copy I downloaded two weeks ago still works just fine, though.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:Edit: It looks like the bug where secondary fire doesn't register the first time only happens with raw input.
So do you have secondary fire assigned to a mouse button? Which one? What if you press it right after you start up Aleph One, does it then work in game?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I have secondary fire bound to left click, so yeah, it may have nothing to do with secondary fire at all. I also couldn't reproduce it reliably a few days later when I tried again. I know other people have said they noticed the same or similar issues though, so it's not just me. Someone was saying they were having trouble using whichever button they used to skip a chapter screen, but I couldn't duplicate his issue either at the time.

When I was having the problem, I was definitely left clicking to select a map before the game started.
The Man
Vidmaster

For whatever it’s worth, TL was right that A1 1.3 would run Eternal with no problems on my Dell. Can’t figure out why the Mac version won’t work. It also doesn’t seem to load Chronicles; it claims it can’t find the Shapes/Map/Images/Sounds files, even though they all appear to have the default names as far as I can tell. No .sceA suffixes or whatever. I thought case sensitivity might be causing the problem, but I’ve corrected that and it’s still happening.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Mouse: the "OS input" option is supposed to behave just like 1.2. A lot of the code was reworked to accommodate SDL 2, but I double-checked the scaling and acceleration code today, and it produces the same input flags given the same mouse-movement values. (There is one difference related to very small mouse movements, which I'll revert in the next beta so we can compare apples to apples.) This suggests issues in SDL rather than Aleph One-specific code, which is frustrating but fits with treellama's report of Linux acting differently. It's also possible I'm misusing SDL in some way.

Mac: if b2 doesn't launch after approving the Gatekeeper messages, please try to launch it a second time. That seemed to work on my test machine. It looks like Apple's security restrictions break Aleph One's ability to find data within the app bundle, but if the app is fully approved before launch, it's okay. Next beta, I'll implement another layer of approval and see if that helps.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:It has come to my attention that all of the starting terminals in Mararthon: Yuge (the bigliest scenario ever created) are broken in the beta version of AlephOne. They work just fine in the latest stable.
The terminal code isn't finding a relevant group for the current level status. This suggests the terminals are missing the #UNFINISHED tag. It works in 1.0-1.2 by accident: some Marathon 1 compatibility code was being applied to all scenarios. I tried to unpack Yuge to see what Atque thought of the terminals, but it just crashed.
treellama
Vidmaster

Hopper wrote:I tried to unpack Yuge to see what Atque thought of the terminals, but it just crashed.
Haha
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

No idea why it's crashing for you, it works fine for me, and I'm sure a few other people have split it successfully. But you're right, somehow it's missing #UNFINISHED :(

Thanks for finding that.
The Man
Vidmaster

I can send you an unmerged copy of the Yuge map if needed, lol.

I'll try that thing with the Mac version later, but I don't recall trying to open it a second time doing anything differently.

The Man
Vidmaster

I finally tried the Mac version again. It keeps saying it’s damaged and can’t be opened, and I should move it to the Trash. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do in response to this, but I don’t think it has anything to do with the Gatekeeper message.

Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I'm not sure if it makes more sense to post here about issues I have with the latest master code, or file issues on Github, since it's not really in a released version. Anyway, I'll just post here for now, you guys can let me know if you'd rather me post on Github.

I've got 2 issues with the latest master code that I didn't have with the latest tagged beta:

1) I get a seg fault after dying and the game attempts to reload the saved game. Reloading the game from the menu works just fine. gdb reports this stack trace:

Code: Select all

Thread 1 "alephone" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
ResetFieldOfView () at screen_shared.h:342
342		if (current_player->extravision_duration)
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000555555905083 in ResetFieldOfView() () at screen_shared.h:342
#1  0x000055555560fe80 in revert_game() () at game_wad.cpp:1278
#2  0x00005555557c7d35 in idle_game_state(unsigned int) (time=<optimized out>) at interface.cpp:1156
#3  0x00005555555d76d7 in main_event_loop () at shell.cpp:805
#4  0x00005555555d76d7 in main(int, char**) (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>) at shell.cpp:346
2) Unless I have bloom turned on in my preferences, my screen briefly blacks out every time I switch weapons. I tried some other graphics options and wasn't able to narrow it down any more than this.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:2) Unless I have bloom turned on in my preferences, my screen briefly blacks out every time I switch weapons. I tried some other graphics options and wasn't able to narrow it down any more than this.
I noticed this while playing co-op Yuge and figured it was just a "feature" of the Yuge weapons. Does this happen in less bigly scenarios as well?

Also, I think GitHub is a fine place to track bugs.
LidMop
Spazeroid

Wrkncacnter wrote: 1) I get a seg fault after dying and the game attempts to reload the saved game.
That's my fault! I'll submit a fix PR right away.
Sharkie Lino

Looked carefully through the thread to make sure I wasn't repeating anything.

Just tried the second beta. It seems there is about a half second or so delay with sounds all around. Menu, in-game, everywhere. Using the standalone A1 if that makes any difference.

I recently got a new iMac with Mojave. (Wondering if this is another Apple screw-up.)
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:It was happening for me in Infinity.
I don't see it in Infinity. Just Yuge. What's different?
treellama
Vidmaster

Sharkie Lino wrote: Just tried the second beta. It seems there is about a half second or so delay with sounds all around. Menu, in-game, everywhere. Using the standalone A1 if that makes any difference.
I'm not getting a half second, but it's definitely noticeable. Open ~/Library/Preferences/Marathon Infinity/Marathon Infinity Preferences, and look for samples="1024". Change that to something like 256, and it will be better.

Maybe we should make a UI to configure that, since the default has to so large for some crappy Windows sound cards, and then everybody has to pay the price in latency.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Are you using HD weapons in hand or something maybe? I reverted to a previous version of A1, but I can try to narrow it down more if you can't reproduce it on infinity.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:Are you using HD weapons in hand or something maybe?
No, the only plugin I have enabled is the Infinity theme.
treellama
Vidmaster

It's the brightness setting(!)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yep, sure enough. The problem also goes away if I turn on bloom or use HD weapons.