Prime Target

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post May 16th '08, 03:43

I somehow doubt he has the rights to Damage Inc.

I think this is indeed true. I had sent him that request letter I posted here before, and never got a response. Atari owns the right to the game, and so just because he worked on the game doesn't mean he is able to just release it freely. In the case of his RPG, I believe he was primarily the creator and owner, which is why he could do as he pleased. (Bungie gave him the technology to use as he wanted I assume.)
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post May 16th '08, 23:51

Is there any chance of getting ahold of the Shapes file?? I would love to examine it.
Waldo1

Post May 17th '08, 08:43

Waldo1 wrote:Is there any chance of getting ahold of the Shapes file?? I would love to examine it.

Might be just me, but I can't find any monsters in the shapes file. Just some texture sets, the player and some effects. A similar problem exists with the DI shapes file, where two or three monsters are missing. (The hostage, seeker suicide bomber and seeker flamer (?))
I suppose they used unique source IDs that Anvil doesn't look for. DI sounds at least add several, SEVERAL new classes of sounds which are only visible via Wail. Anvil probably only checks for shapes classes that it knows to be there. Perhaps one could access the resources manually and swap them around to make the monster classes appear in Anvil? I've never been successful at doing so.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post May 18th '08, 13:10

CubicCircle wrote:Might be just me, but I can't find any monsters in the shapes file. Just some texture sets, the player and some effects. A similar problem exists with the DI shapes file, where two or three monsters are missing. (The hostage, seeker suicide bomber and seeker flamer (?))
I suppose they used unique source IDs that Anvil doesn't look for.

You are quite right, the reason why Anvil can't access them is that it can only address 32 collections. Now ZPC, DI & Prime Target all use more than that. Actually it looks like this:

Infinity 32 collections
ZPC 64 collections
Damage Inc. 64 collections
Prime Target 1024 collections

AlephOne can even natively load up those shapes files given that an appropirate mmls are there to tell the engine where the player shapes, items, explosion effects etc. are stored, but it sadly only loads up the first 32 entries and quits if anything higher than that is specified

There's actually a feauture request on the source forge page for this, but it looks like it's rather problematic. Might be an issue of backwards compatibility?

Anyway, with the latest unofficial 0.5 beta of ShapeFusion it's possible to browse through the shapes files, as you can see on the pic:

On my other comp I have a list of the entries in the Prime Target Shapes file b/c it's a bit strenuous to go through it, in case anyone is interested
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post May 18th '08, 13:23

I would be ever so stoked if I could get a hold of that app! I've been longing to mess around with the full shape files.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post May 18th '08, 21:42

Yeah. It's surprising, you'd think that the older games would be easier to find, because the creators don't care as much, but I've spend hours looking for any of these to no avail.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post May 18th '08, 23:12

I actually tried increasing the number of collections seen in anvil, but it just repeated everything past 32.

If you would like, I could impliment the monsters into a normal AO shapes file, replacing some other monsters with them (trooper = security guard, suit = fighter), and I could take a crack at redoing some of the maps. I've also figred out how we could possibly have shelves and tables. Just send over the monster collections, and I'll be able to do all of the dirty work like keypoints and sequences myself.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 18th '08, 23:27

well, the trouble is that the respective monster collections can't be sent over, it would have to be a matter of copy and pasting to a different slot, i.e. one lower than 32. Perhaps it might be a better idea to wait for a new version of ShapeFusion that is capable of the beloved "clone into collection" feature.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post May 18th '08, 23:30

I meant just sending me all the bitmaps.

EDIT: If you did that, I'd prefer just an all in one PSD, but I wont be able to read PSD's till next week or so.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on May 18th '08, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 16th '08, 02:17

So if I understand correctly, Prime Target was the most complex (and thus would be the hardest to port) of the M2 based games?

And if anyone wants to play with it, I have a copy of the demo (I am not advocating doing anything illegal).
Last edited by MattB on Jul 16th '08, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
MattB

Post Jul 16th '08, 02:30

Treellama wrote:Where's The One when you need him?

Remember? His 3D A1 sucked so much ass we chased him away. He also refused to post a link to the download page, forcing us to dig though +3000 results trying to find the piece of shit.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT

Packard20
Hopefully not where you are!

Post Feb 24th '13, 19:25

Waldo1 wrote:Is this the John Coffey of Marathon BC????
Hi, sorry for the bump of an old thread. But I am John Coffey from Marathon BC and the Amazons and Robertas.

Good to see people still playing this game and their mods. I'll have to see if I can download and re-install the game for nostalgia's sake.
CoffeyCup

Post Feb 25th '13, 00:16

WOAH!!! OLD TIME MARATHON PLAYER!!! O.O

Welcome. [MGrin]

Hmm... I still have the Prime Target CD. I can't play it, but I'll never get rid of it. [MWuh]

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Feb 26th '13, 04:12

I was going to ignore this topic, but I did a quick search on the Internet and found this:

prime_target__4.jpg

All of a sudden, the tacky marble texturing made me realize that I had played the demo of this game before. This was so long ago, I completely forgot these memories until this image brought it back to life. Weird how the memory works. Based on what little I remember, the Marathon games were far superior in every respect, the texturing, mapping, gameplay, story, etc.

Judging from the release date, I played this demo as a college freshman. On a Quadra 605. With 8 MB of RAM.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 28th '13, 16:29

Prime Target used M2's engine.

How old are you roof? Because, if my guess is right, I'm younger than you and I still remember Prime Target.

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Feb 28th '13, 17:01

Destiny wrote:How old are you roof?

A little arithmetic ought to give you a pretty accurate estimate. ^_^ I still think of myself as young, and people at work still think so. But yes, I'm an old-timer compared to most on this forum. Maybe my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

I certainly remember downloading and playing the demo of Marathon 2 when it first came out, and this was almost a year before Prime Target. But not surprisingly, Marathon 2 was a more memorable game in so many ways.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 28th '13, 21:57

Say what you will, but Prime Target has more tumbling dismembered human heads than Marathon. You can't take that away from it.

seq024-DyingHard-0.gif
seq024-DyingHard-0.gif (36.63 KiB) Viewed 4454 times

Hopper

Previous

Return to Aleph One Discussion