A Note on Mariusnet and attempting to impersonate Admins

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

logan wrote:Oh, and if you somehow think we have a bunch of assholes or something on our meta go look at Playmyth.
On there everythings all happy and wonderful. Ya right.
That would be hard these days since PlayMyth.net is no longer around.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

Really? wow. I really got it there. Well, wherever they play.
Last edited by logan on Mar 26th '08, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

No wonder I couldn't connect. WTF is this bullshit? I have to make an account just to play this game? And that IP distributing idea is stupid. Half of the people i play with I have no other communication with and they don't know about this place. How am I to get their IP and how will they know to make an account at some place that is basicaly Myth paradise and full of a bunch of nerd/assholes with fucked up names and talk liek dis and spam our rooms when they get banned from theirs. You can't be serious. Marathon is my stress reliever, how dare you!
The world is filled with bastard covered bastards with bastard fillings.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|......, ] -
"(@)'(@)"""**|(@)(@)*** **''(@)

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

Why would "registered accounts must be used for alephone" be put in the readmes? Not only were they never necessary before now, they didn't really do anything useful at all.
you get the ability to send private messages. it's worthless. Oh let's not forget you can post on their THRIVING forum.
The more I read of this the more sick to my stomach I get. This is pathetic.

Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

-JC- wrote:How am I to get their IP.
That's what forming a clique is for! Seriously though, way to pick up on the sarcasm. Though really, distributing IPs is how we gathered games before we ever used mariusnet, and it worked just fine. There were probably fewer games, and it was more of a hassle, but it did work.
PrplPplEater
Born on Board

W wrote:That's what forming a clique is for! Seriously though, way to pick up on the sarcasm. Though really, distributing IPs is how we gathered games before we ever used mariusnet, and it worked just fine. There were probably fewer games, and it was more of a hassle, but it did work.
Actually, distributing IPs is silly. Aside from the Mariusnet app being freely available for the last several years so that anyone can run their own metaserver, the Bungie metaserver code is out there as well. With what is freely and readily available, anyone could set up their own metaserver in no time at all.

Oh, and if you somehow think we have a bunch of assholes or something on our meta go look at Playmyth.
1. "Your" metaserver and the Myth metaserver are the SAME metaserver, you are just segregated into your own rooms now because of all the bitching back and forth that went on when the Mythers came back after PlayMyth shut down. You all had to be separated like little kids because you couldn't share a room.
2. If I am to believe even half of what I heard about then, you have quite easily an equal share of assholes.... at the least you are by no means exempt from assholedom.

I've been thinking about all of this and I see three options for myself:

1. Continue on and say screw em, get accounts. At least then if some wank is messing with people there are options.
2. Re-enable guest accounts until Monday evening (this lets the word spread during whatever McMonday thing it is you have) so that everyone can still play while getting their accounts as well as allowing word to spread of the need. At least then if some wank is messing with people there are options.
3. Saying to hell with it all, re-enabling them, and say "I don't give a damn" to anything at all that crops up regarding Marathon.

#3 is by far the easiest and I'm sure that at this point every last one of you is cheering for it and for me to get the hell out (but as long as you are on Mnet, you are stuck with me).
#2 makes the most sense to me, but all the bitching, moaning and whining really makes me want to stick with #1 just out of spite, even though I know it is the wrong course to take.
$lave

I'd like #2 for the most part, anyone who really wants to play will (hopefully and probably) just get an account, and it gets rid of a good amount of people who I'd rather not see.

The only thing I don't like about #2, is there are people who will likely never find that they need an account, and never stumble into the community, and likely never read the read-me (even if it is added that you need an account), although if there was just a note on the download page, or it was at least added to the read-me for Aleph One that you need an account for net, I'm fine with #2.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

No, what you should do is turn it back to the way it is. It was fine in the Marathon community so just because someone in the Myth community impersonates you (which probably happens all the time) you decide to shut down the whole thing then disable guest accounts for EVERYONE. Dude just ban the people who impersonated you and/or other admins/mods and stop making such a mess out of it. And here we know for a fact that really theres no "admins" in the meta so anyone with the name "Administrator" probably has that as their computer profile name like TK said, and I don't remember anyone scaring off new people here. If this is true its all in the Myth community and your just fucking with us.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
irons
Vidmaster

JC, I agree this is sort of unfair, but being a brat isn't going to help, princess.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Didn't we use a temp metaserver using the marius.app in the past when marius.net went down? What server did we use then? I forgot. Does anybody have access to a server that could permanently replace Marius. Reading in between the lines that seems what PrplPplEater desires most. An alternative server could be an option.

Though I do understand his concerns. Despite being a convenience we here took for granted, any other internet game would require you to register with the server. Why should we be any different? For one thing, it is important to be able to handle abuses as they come up. (And they do happen.) I even once brought up the subject previously though was rebuked. But I would never go as far to suggest the marathon community is the sole source of abuse, I seem to recall instances where Myth players would come in and abuse the system as well. But the fact of the mater is that system for marathon, as it is now, isn't set up for such a drastic change and would have undesirable consequences. We can gradually make the switch but there has to be documentation or in program warnings explaining what a player needs to do in order to join internet games. Or links/online-documentation at S.B.O. at the very least.

I would suggest wait till the next A1 release where changes could be made in the program for the player's ease. After all, isn't for the player what this open source project all about?
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Mar 26th '08, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:Didn't we use a temp metaserver using the marius.app in the past when marius.net went down? What server did we use then? I forgot. Does anybody have access to a server that could permanently replace Marius. Reading in between the lines that seems what PrplPplEater desires most. An alternative server could be an option.
The temp metaserver doesn't have some of the cool features, which I guess isn't a huge deal, at least we'd be able to keep playing. The main problem is finding someone willing to run it on their server.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

logan wrote:a whole fucking day
-JC- wrote:how dare you!
logan wrote:The more I read of this the more sick to my stomach I get.
Jesus fucking Christ. Just. Fuck.

Stop being eight.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Mar 26th '08, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
megabyte
Vidmaster

I now cant log on to mariusnet via A1 and i have a valid account, but i see someone in the room when i check the mariusnet site.
my account has worked up until today.
what could be the cause of this?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
PrplPplEater
Born on Board

Dude just ban the people who impersonated you and/or other admins/mods
I did, his login was 'guest' and he was banned.... apparently everyone really loves this wank though and they all want him back.
Can't you feel the love?

Anyway, guest logins are re-enabled while Tree and I try to figure out something that will work for all sides.

As for the implication that what I really want is for y'all to move on, that isn't true.
Would I be upset, distraught or even regret it slightly if you all or even the Mythers moved on? Nope, not a bit, I'd clear a couple of checkboxes on the server and move on... but that isn't the same as wishing people to leave.

I freely mention the availability of the server to you all, just as I have to the Mythers, and I even host the download for the Mariusnet app on Mariusnet because that is what Marius wanted and I'm not interested in trying to hide things from people or keep folks captive on my precious little server. I ran the thing for years and kept it running when absolutely noone was on it... because I promised that I would until I either couldn't or was no longer interested, at which time I'd find someone else to take over and until that day that is what I'll do.
That said and being what it is... by all means, go fire it up and run your own, it isn't difficult to get it running by any means.
treellama
Vidmaster

Megabyte: I had Aleph One switched to my own metaserver, but now that Mariusnet has guests back up I've switched it back. You should be able to login with your registered login.

As PPE said, guest accounts are temporarily re-enabled on Mariusnet. I don't expect this to last more than a few days to a week. It's very likely that guest accounts as we knew them on Mariusnet will be gone forever. That leaves us with a couple options, but I'd rather not discuss them in a forum where JC and Logan are just going to be dicks some more.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

but I'd rather not discuss them in a forum where JC and Logan are just going to be dicks some more.
WELL!
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Great, as long as we find a solution where we all, or rather those that mater, agree I'm happy. [MGrin]
Quite frankly, you guys don't exactly need advice from the "peanut gallery" over here.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Mar 26th '08, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

According to the site, if i don't activate my account in 24 hours my account will be deleted. I made the account yesterday and I still haven't gotten a damn email.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
gferguson
Born on Board

-JC- wrote:According to the site, if i don't activate my account in 24 hours my account will be deleted. I made the account yesterday and I still haven't gotten a damn email.
I requested one for my portable so mini-death can play against me 'n the world, and hadn't seen the email either by the time I went to sleep at 2AM last night. Maybe it came through today, but it will have expired before I can get home to respond to it.

It's a catch-22
Zott
Vidmaster

It took mine about 18 hours, and it showed up in the bulk e-mail folder, so look out for it.
Last edited by Zott on Mar 27th '08, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
megabyte
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Megabyte: I had Aleph One switched to my own metaserver, but now that Mariusnet has guests back up I've switched it back. You should be able to login with your registered login.
how do you switch the server? does it receive info from your site to see which server to use?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
irons
Vidmaster

He controls the domain name that Aleph One points to when it looks for a metaserver. In the past, when Marius has had problems, he's redirected the domain to a different place.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Packard20
Mjolnir Mark IV

Perhaps we could set up our own meta server? Then we wouldn't have to deal with mariusnet anymore. (I've sent a subscription 3 times and haven't gotten 1 email back) But I guess that would cost time and money, something everyone around here pretends to not have.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT
treellama
Vidmaster

Perhaps you can set up your own meta server? Then we won't have to deal with you any more.
$lave

Packard20 wrote:But I guess that would cost time and money, something everyone around here pretends to not have.
Yeah, they're such assholes, not spending their money on something that really doesn't profit them at all, especially since people around here are so incredibly grateful for what they do give us.

No one's FORCING you to use mariusnet (except maybe the clique), if you want to set your own server up, go ahead. Unless of course you're going to pretend not to have the time and money, in that case pardon me.