Speed Runs

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Speed Runs

Post Aug 27th '13, 02:49

Over at the Speed Demos Archive I was surprised not to see any Marathon postings. For those of you who may not be familiar with that website it hosts videos of games being played quickly to say the least. Cheating is not allowed but exploiting game glitches is a common play mechanic to beat games ridiculously quick. While Marathon embraces the unique vidmaster challenge I also see it working fairly well for speed runs though I don't know if there are any glitches to exploit. I suppose the first challenge to overcome would be meeting the Speed Demos requirement of playing the original executable and not utilizing AlephOne.

Umbra

Post Aug 27th '13, 04:19

Cody Miller (of HighSpeedHalo.net and AGDQs past) did a run of Marathon Infinity some years back; that's the closest I've seen to an SDA-acceptable run. I believe he's expressed some interest in doing another Marathon run someday. Somebody else mentioned work on a run of the XBLA port, which I'd love to see happen.

As far as glitches go, the Infinity video shows how to skip a good chunk of the game, but that's the only one of the three with full level skips. There are a handful of vidmaster films that show shortcuts; take a look at John Sumner's Quick Pack and Todd Keating's entries on the vidmaster page. Also, like other games of that time, running + strafing is faster than running straight ahead.

Hopper

Post Aug 27th '13, 05:32

Hopper wrote:Somebody else mentioned work on a run of the XBLA port, which I'd love to see happen.

Yeah, if only someone would do that.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 27th '13, 16:05

Wrkncacnter wrote:Yeah, if only someone would do that.

... and I even commented in that thread. Nice job, me. I guess I blocked out the memory of the camcorder pointed at a TV screen :(

Hopper

Post Aug 27th '13, 16:58

Yeah, it's also apparently Kindergarten, so it doesn't really count anyway.

Wrkncacnter

Return to Aleph One Discussion