Aleph One 1.1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Aleph One 1.1

Post Jan 5th '14, 03:14

Aleph One 1.1 is now available from http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

Aleph One 1.1 is the first release to support the original Marathon data files. M1A1 is no longer needed to play Marathon in Aleph One. We have also made numerous engine tweaks to give you the most authentic Marathon experience outside a classic Mac or emulator.

Aleph One 1.1 also supports exporting films to WebM videos, suitable for sharing online. Simply hold alt/option while clicking "Replay Saved Film" or "Replay Last Film" and you'll be prompted for a location to export your film.

For more details, please read the full release notes, available at the bottom of the files page:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/marath ... 014-01-04/

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 5th '14, 05:27

Great work!

I can't remember the last time I played M1 with all the original stuff, so it will great to try all the tricks again (looks at the Deprivation Chamber), and I can only imagine how the Hulks will be on TC.

Is the gamma disabling for Mavericks a permanent thing, or will there, at some point, be a fix for it? It certainly doesn't make the game unplayable or anything like that, just curious.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.

Sharkie Lino
Long Island, New York

Post Jan 5th '14, 09:30

Does the online work for 1.1 now?
Winter Solstice of 2014... Thank God that Treellama, W'rkncacnter, and patrick won't be there...

A Huge Pfhan
Sol

Post Jan 5th '14, 16:22

Sharkie Lino wrote:Is the gamma disabling for Mavericks a permanent thing, or will there, at some point, be a fix for it?

Apple broke the underlying system calls that change gamma. They screw up the colors on my system, and crash some newer Macs according to the SDL folks. The functions have been deprecated for a while, so it's unlikely that Apple will bother to get them working again.

Treellama and I have a plan to implement the Brightness setting in a completely different way, so it will return eventually, but we need to rework other parts of the graphics pipeline before that's feasible. In the meantime, if you want to adjust the brightness/contrast, create a new display profile in Displays preferences (click Calibrate... in the Color tab) with a different Target Gamma (turn on Expert Mode for a slider), and switch to that profile when you play.

Hopper

Post Jan 5th '14, 17:19

That's not surprising, it seems they have broken a lot of stuff since bringing out 10.7.

Anyway, thanks for that! I'll give it a shot when I have the time.
Last edited by Sharkie Lino on Jan 5th '14, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.

Sharkie Lino
Long Island, New York

Post Jan 5th '14, 19:30

Exciting news! I can't wait to try it.

heliomass
Montréal, QC

Post Jan 5th '14, 21:24

Exellent! Congradulations guys!

Authentic Marathon experience minus the crappy ancient mouse controls that never really worked. (At least not in sheepshaver, and it's been such a long time since I've played it on my ol' Performa, I don't even remember if it worked there. I remember using the keyboard a lot)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jan 6th '14, 19:09

I hear some weird click sound when viewing replays now.

Mavrik
Sweden

Post Jan 7th '14, 15:29

Exciting! I'll try to find time to update pkgsrc to 1.1 and the original M1 files.
ChristTrekker

Post Jan 31st '14, 05:20

I just tried this out recently. Original Marathon compatibility is an epic feat. Congratulations! And functional DPDI sounds sweet, I'm looking forward to trying it. The option to save films as videos is also a fun surprise. You guys are definitely made of the Hard Stuff. [MUp] [MUp]

Ares Ex Machina

Post Mar 19th '14, 18:04

I finally mustered up the willpower to play through the ENTIRE first Marathon without any level skipping or other cheating, and I guess I was right to wait this long, because I was playing the real thing haha

The original file support is awesome, and I'm excited to see how the community utilizes it.
CKT1138

Return to Aleph One Discussion