Porting Marathon to other mobile platforms?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Porting Marathon to other mobile platforms?

Post Jan 5th '14, 10:20

Hello, it's been a long while since i last posted (if i ever posted, i forgot), as you guys know back in 2011 all of the Marathon games were ported to iOS, and that made me wonder.

Is it possible to port those games to Windows Phone and Android?

LMZR

Post Jan 5th '14, 11:00

Sorry guys, just realised that there is a thread similar to this.

Still, i guess the question is kinda unanswered about Windows Phone.

LMZR

Post Jan 5th '14, 20:24

As far as I could find (in a very brief search), Windows Phone's currently neither support OpenGL nor SDL. This doesn't mean it would be impossible to port, but you'd probably have to do a considerable amount of work re-writing parts of the engine to use whatever Windows Phone's ~do~ support (DirectX?).

I'm not actually an Aleph One dev or anything though, so if I'm wrong maybe someone more knowledgeable will correct me.

$lave

Post Jan 5th '14, 21:33

I'm no programer and can't tell you what kind of work would be involved but I can tell you that andoid supports SDL as this guy has done some prettty good work porting various SDL apps to it. (The source version of star control II is quite a favorite of mine, I haven't tried GIMP though.)
http://libsdl-android.sourceforge.net/

A quick search however tells me that Android uses some subset of OpenGL called OpenGL ES, which I'm sure would take some work.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jan 5th '14, 23:01

herecomethej2000 wrote:A quick search however tells me that Android uses some subset of OpenGL called OpenGL ES, which I'm sure would take some work.

The iOS port hacked up the OpenGL (Classic) renderer to support OpenGL ES, so someone setting the bar that low could just use that code as a base.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 6th '14, 04:04

Well, damn, despite the difficulty, i do hope there is somebody out there with the dedication to try port Marathon to Windows Phone or Android.

LMZR

Post Jan 8th '14, 21:32

$lave wrote:(DirectX?)

Ding ding. A quick Google shows they used to use XNA up until recently though.
Cephalostrum

Return to Aleph One Discussion