LAN multiplayer Map problems in A1 1.1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

LAN multiplayer Map problems in A1 1.1

Post Feb 4th '14, 01:30

So I have been playing A1 for a few weeks, and was recently notified of an update which I downloaded. However, when I tried to gather a LAN game, I wasn't able to select a map file. When I went to select it, the browser took me to my application support (I am on a mac with mavericks). I went all the way up to the user directory before finding my way through the desktop directory to my Aleph One folder. When I clicked on the Aleph one folder, though, the engine selected that folder as the map file, instead of opening it for me to find the correct file. Has the map file system changed in 1.1, or am I doing something wrong? Any help much appreciated!
-Sniper752
Sniper752

Post Feb 23rd '14, 03:15

For the first part of your problem, where you get dumped back to Application Support: If you reselect your map in Preferences -> Environment, that should convince Aleph One to find the right map file in the Gather dialog.

For the second part, where Aleph One tried to use your folder as a map: I've seen that happen if you try to use an alias made in the Finder. If that's the case, navigate to the original folder instead of the alias. If not, I'm not sure what's going wrong.

FYI, there are three ways of selecting your scenario folder:

• Placing AlephOne inside a scenario folder and launching it
  • Dropping a scenario folder onto AlephOne to launch it
  • Launching AlephOne when it's not inside a scenario folder, and using the Open dialog to choose a scenario
If you swap between these, 1.1 can get a little confused. The next release will be better, but if you stick to one method and use the Environment preferences to get it straightened out, then hopefully it will stop forgetting your Map file.

Hopper

Post Feb 23rd '14, 05:02

Aleph One keeps settings in a Preferences file, so I'm pretty sure you can edit that. Usually in ~/.alephone
<environment map_file="/path/Map.sceA" physics_file="/path/Physics Models/Standard.phyA" shapes_file="/path/Shapes.shpA" sounds_file="/path/Sounds.sndA" resources_file="/path/Marathon.appl"></environment>
^ If I remember correctly, this is what you add in, replacing "path" with the actual path of course.
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
Dan
California

Post Feb 23rd '14, 06:13

Aleph One uses symbolic paths in those settings when it can. For instance, "/some/scenario/dir/Map.sceA" will get stored as "$default$/Map.sceA" when Aleph One is started inside /some/scenario/dir. That can complicate the issue. You don't tend to see this on Linux, because the scenario directory is usually passed as a command-line argument, but it's more common for Mac users like the poster.

Hopper

Post Feb 23rd '14, 16:38

Oh, silly me then.
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
Dan
California

Return to Aleph One Discussion