MML Help -Vacuum Enabled Weapons

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

MML Help -Vacuum Enabled Weapons

Post Mar 25th '14, 14:17

Its been a while since I've last messed with MML and I can't find the official MML guide on the internet, so I figured this was the best place to ask for help. I'm trying to figure out how to make all weapons able to function in vacuum. Would that be in the "weapons" or "items" subsection, and how would it work? Thank you for your time.

Alric

Post Mar 25th '14, 14:35

For the record, here's the MML script I've made thus far. From what I could tell when testing it last night none of the changes worked. Still working on all weapons being vacuum enabled, though that's not in this current build, obviously.

<marathon>
<cheats on="true"/>
<player guided="true" oxygen_deplete="1" oxygen_replenish="1"/>
</marathon>

Alric

Post Mar 25th '14, 16:16

The MML guide is in the "docs" or "Documentation" folder that comes with the Aleph One download. You can grab a fresh download here if you lost that folder.

Your syntax looks right; are you sure your MML is in the right place to get used?

The "items" tag has an "invalid" attribute to set the usable environments. That should get your weapons working, once you can get the generic MML issues worked out.

Hopper

Post Mar 25th '14, 16:42

Alright, thanks. The mml file is in the "scripts" folder of the Marathon Infinity package.

Alric

Post Mar 26th '14, 14:12

Bumping because the script still doesn't work. I was under the I perception that MML/Lua scripts were to be placed in the Scripts folder or embedded in a map file, at least that's what I recall from my prior experiences with AO. As far as I can tell the syntax is correct too.

Alric

Post Mar 27th '14, 19:22

Here's the MML script I'm using; as far as I can tell when play testing it changes nothing in game. It's located in the "Scripts" folder of the Aleph One programs I'm using. Anyone got a clue as to what's wrong?

<marathon>

<cheats on="true"/>

<player guided="true" oxygen_deplete="1" oxygen_replenish="1"/>

<items>
<item index="35" maximum="20" />
<item index=”5” invalid=”0”/>
<item index=”6” invalid=”0”/>
<item index=”7” invalid=”0”/>
<item index=”8” invalid=”0”/>
<item index=”9” invalid=”0”/>
<item index=”15” invalid=”0”/>
<item index=”16” invalid=”0”/>
</items>

</marathon>

Alric

Post Mar 27th '14, 19:46

Cheats on and player guided don't do anything, so you may as well remove them from the script. As for the rest, I don't see anything wrong at a glance. Have you checked the log for errors?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 27th '14, 20:24

I haven't, where would the log be located?

Alric

Post Mar 27th '14, 21:04

Thanks, I'll post what I find next time I can play.

Alric

Post Mar 27th '14, 22:09

Ok, here's the log from me playing a few minutes of "Ne Cede Malis" with the .mml script. I had the "Night Vision" Lua on, perhaps I should have tried with no Lua script active.

-------------------- Thu Mar 27 17:58:09 2014

while opening resource file /Applications/Marathon Infinity.app/Contents/Resources/DataFiles/Shapes.shpA (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:338)
file's resource reference list corrupt (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:276)
while opening resource file /Applications/Marathon Infinity.app/Contents/Resources/DataFiles/Shapes.shpA (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:338)
file's resource reference list corrupt (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:276)
Gorans Water Set 2.2 Plugin: Shapes Patch.ShPa not found; ignoring (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/XML/Plugins.cpp:177)

From what I can tell the MML script isn't showing up as an error.

Alric

Post Mar 29th '14, 13:26

Anyone able to tell me what's wrong? From what I can tell the game isn't even loading the .mml script, the log doesn't seem to reference it at all. The game itself runs fine, its just that this particular .mml script isn't being loaded.

Alric

Post Mar 29th '14, 19:55

Have you been able to get other MML scripts to work?

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Mar 29th '14, 23:02

The transparent liquid ones that came with Aleph One work, and the embedded scripts in Kill 'em All appear to work too. Lua scripts work perfectly as well. I'm stumped as to why mine doesn't function.

Alric

Post Mar 29th '14, 23:40

Did you write it in Rich Text format? If so, then yeah, I can see why the game might not recognize it - all the extra formatting would mess it up. If not, then I'm stumped as well.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Mar 30th '14, 00:55

I used Open Office to write the MML script. I'll give a shot at writing it in TextEdit.

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, I've noticed that textures/teleportation effects in Tempus Irae have a strange yellowish cast to them where they should be stark white. I'll try reinstalling the high-res textures, see if that fixes things. Marathon 2 and Infinity don't have this problem.

Alric

Post Mar 30th '14, 21:53

An update: I wrote a script in TextEdit and it apparently still doesn't work.

Alric

Post Mar 30th '14, 21:57

Are those smart quotes? Don't use smart quotes, use the actual " character.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 30th '14, 22:07

There were smart quotes in the file, so I changed them. However, now Aleph One asks me to select a scenario on launch. When I attempt to and launch, it gives me this message:

Please be sure the files 'Map', 'Shapes', 'Images' and 'Sounds' are correctly installed and try again. (error -1)

Alric

Post Apr 2nd '14, 01:43

Alright, revised again, there were a few smart quotes that I missed. M2/MInf now work. However, Tempus Irae still has the same problem.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to get the blue Hunter's soft dead frame to show up with the HD Monsters plug in. Currently it just shows a distorted, original low res version of the sprite in the midst of a white box.

Alric

Post Apr 2nd '14, 02:00

Under a default Infinity physics model, the (blue) Mother of All Hunter's soft dying sequence is set to an invalid value of -1. If memory serves, the blue Hunters will always die a hard death, so the soft dead frame is never seen. Depending on how your custom files do or don't deviate from that vanilla state, it may explain the result you're seeing.

Crater Creator

Post Apr 4th '14, 14:08

I'm using a custom physics model, and I figure I'll have to edit the script to allow the frame to show up. It's not letting me do that however.

On a related note the AO errors seem to have stopped, not sure why but I'm not complaining!

Alric

Return to Aleph One Discussion