Plugins that come with game files missing stuff

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Plugins that come with game files missing stuff

Post Aug 19th '14, 02:24

So if I download the Marathon 1 game files from http://marathon.sourceforge.net/ The ttep v7 folder has 138 files in it. I've noticed that when you look out the window on the first level, the stars are not improved. The ttep folder is 23M

If I download ttep v7 from other sources, the folder has 186 files in it. The stars outside the window look better using this one. The ttep folder is 117M

Why would anyone integrate an incomplete version of the ttep7 pack into the game files and host it on marathon.sourceforge?

edit: I've noticed that only marathon 1 comes with ttep, and 2 + infinity come with other graphics plugins instead, is it because they are better than the ttep plugins?
Is there a consensus on the best graphics plugins for each marathon game? I'm really not sure what to get
Bobby6512

Post Aug 19th '14, 04:18

jon of patmos wrote:Why would anyone integrate the ttep7 pack into the game files and host it on mararthon.sourceforge?

graphics plugins for each mararthon game? I'm really not sure

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this terminal, If any man shall add unto these original game files, THE LORD shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this terminal:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the terminal of this prophecy, THE LORD shall take away his part out of the book of loch, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this terminal.
Last edited by patrick on Aug 19th '14, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
patrick
末法

Post Aug 19th '14, 04:29

patrick wrote:For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this terminal, If any man shall add unto these original game files, THE LORD shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this terminal:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the terminal of this prophecy, THE LORD shall take away his part out of the book of loch, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this terminal.

Pretty much this.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 19th '14, 07:43

I don't know about a consensus. But my opinion is Marathon 1 looks best with the TTEP textures, and Marathon Infinity looks best with goran's textures.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 19th '14, 13:01

The TTEP landscapes don't work with the original Marathon files because Marathon used square landscape textures, and TTEP was designed for M1A1. The other textures are from the secret levels in M1A1, which are not needed for original Marathon.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 23rd '14, 21:39

Bobby6512 wrote:Is there a consensus on the best graphics plugins for each marathon game? I'm really not sure what to get

Just download them all and see which one you like best. Compare them to the original graphics. My opinion: often times the original graphics without any plugin is best. I'd rather have professional low res than unprofessional high res.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Sep 9th '14, 02:17

The hi-res environment textues from M1A1 look pretty neat (though there are some in jokey things tossed in that may bother some folk) but the biggest problem is the weapons and monsters look totally out of place with the UT99 looking environment.

Crazy talk: I honestly prefer the more cartoony M1 environments and sprites to the more realistic M2-3 stuff. Explosive death in particular is way gorier and gross in the original, and nothing beats missile hang time with entrails hanging out and then exploding on the ground.

Also the rendered vac bobs never felt quite right for me. Any of the rendered third party weapons and aliens also look pretty garbage.
damnglitch
Wisconsin

Return to Aleph One Discussion