30 FPS cap limit?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

30 FPS cap limit?

Post Oct 6th '14, 23:44

Hello everyone, so um, recently my 360 got RRODed for the moment so i can't play Marathon Durandal for now, so i decided to go back to one of my favorite Aleph One scenarios Marathon RED, but i noticed the gameplay is much more sluggish and unresponsive and slower paced thanks to this cap of 30 FPS. In the XBLA port, you get a 60 FPS cap limit, is there any way to overwrite this or anything? If no it's okay, but that's kinda annoying really. Yeah i know i know Aleph One is based off the Marathon 2 source code but... come on man! Really?
Gabrieloup

Post Oct 7th '14, 03:44

No. Really.

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 7th '14, 20:25

Well that's annoying, but oh well. Could be worse lol, the Apple Pippin version of Marathon and Marathon 2 compiled in Super Marathon has a much lower framerate. Nobody ever tried to overwrite this or anything yet? Is there any explanation?
Gabrieloup

Post Oct 7th '14, 23:08

Gabrieloup wrote:Is there any explanation?

Yes, the game engine is 20 years old. There is only so much that can be done.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Oct 8th '14, 00:24

Despite being 60 fps, the XBLA version has the exact same pacing and responsiveness. Everything just moves half as fast and gets updated twice as often.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 8th '14, 02:17

Yeah I was wondering if I was missing something weird and different about modern games that was implicit in that complaint, because AFAIK engine ticks are not in any way connected rendering frame rate, and something running at a higher FPS shouldn't mean jack to the actual speed of anything happening in the game, just the smoothness of the animation of those happenings.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Oct 8th '14, 03:20

herecomethej2000 wrote:
Gabrieloup wrote:Is there any explanation?

Yes, the game engine is 20 years old. There is only so much that can be done.

Bullshit, just look at Doom.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 8th '14, 04:35

Maybe what he meant was, hardly anyone gives a crap about the game engine. There is only so much that can be done.

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 8th '14, 13:50

Treellama can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we few, (lets face it, mostly Treellama and Hopper, and I can't thank them enough), have gutted the engine near like those doom sourceports have.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Oct 10th '14, 00:59

Bungie always wanted to be like Doom. In spite of what the below says, they chose the former way rather than the latter. (or am I mistaken?)

physics.cpp wrote:
Code: Select all
Sunday, May 22, 1994 11:14:55 AM
   there are two viable methods of running a synchronized network game.  the first is doom's,
   where each player shares with each other player only his control information for that tick
   (this imposes a maximum frame rate, as the state-of-the-world will be advanced at the same
   time on all machines).  the second is the continuous lag-tolerant model where each player
   shares absolute information with each other player as often as possible and local machines
   do their best at guessing what everyone else in the game is doing until they get better
   information.  whichever choice is made will change the physics drastically.  we're going to
   take the latter approach, and cache the KeyMap at interrupt time to be batch-processed
   later at frame time.

irons
(.Y.)

Return to Aleph One Discussion