Aleph One 1.3a1: testers wanted

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Re: Aleph One 1.3a1: testers wanted

Post Feb 16th '16, 12:04

Zetren wrote:Thanks for the clarification.


Note that this preference does not affect network game behavior at all, unless that changed since 2008. Picking up a weapon with higher priority than your current one will almost always force you to switch. If memory serves correctly, this is because the game risks going out of sync otherwise. I personally don't notice it at all anymore. Most of us have probably grown accustomed to cycling back quickly, or holding the trigger to prevent immediate switching. I've added weapons to maps specifically to force players to deal with this. In this sense, for me, at least, it's part of the game.
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 18th '16, 02:20

For once you respond to someone without insulting/trolling them. Well done, irons. Guess there really is a first time for everything.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 18th '16, 02:35

i would say this is the first post you've made without referencing your lack of {please get} a new computer

but the signature cancels it out
patrick
末法

Post Feb 18th '16, 04:30

Nope, don't plan to either. Want to know why?
1) The PowerMac G5 was the world's first commercially available 64-bit computer. It's a piece of history sitting on my desk. There's no way I'm going to throw it out just because some ass tells me so.
2) The best era for Mac gaming was the mid-90s to early 2000s. Don't believe me? Check out Macintosh Garden, look at all them games.
3) Technically all modern (intel) Macs ARE PCs (no offence intended to intel users). This means I have one of the last pure Macs.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 18th '16, 04:36

As insane as it might sound, it is possible to own more than one computer.
User avatar

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 18th '16, 05:09

Unless you're building a computing cluster, there's no reason to have more than one computer. One device, every program! That's the way it should be.
Besides, I don't really like the iOS UI theme of modern Macs starting with Lion. And I'm not too fond of Windows either. I've considered geting an intel machine with Linux but havent gotten around to it.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 18th '16, 05:58

3371-Alpha wrote:Unless you're building a computing cluster, there's no reason to have more than one computer. One device, every program! That's the way it should be.
Besides, I don't really like the iOS UI theme of modern Macs starting with Lion. And I'm not too fond of Windows either. I've considered geting an intel machine with Linux but havent gotten around to it.

I'm saving this post for posterity.
User avatar

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 18th '16, 10:35

3371-Alpha wrote:One device, every program! That's the way it should be.


You know what? You're right. My 486DX should totally be able to run Battlefield 4 at max settings in 4K. Don't let the reality of computer ownership get in your way of your dream.
User avatar

AlumiuN
New Zealand

Post Feb 18th '16, 12:01

3371-Alpha wrote:Nope, don't plan to either. Want to know why?
1) The PowerMac G5 was the world's first commercially available 64-bit computer. It's a piece of history sitting on my desk. There's no way I'm going to throw it out just because some ass tells me so.
2) The best era for Mac gaming was the mid-90s to early 2000s. Don't believe me? Check out Macintosh Garden, look at all them games.
3) Technically all modern (intel) Macs ARE PCs (no offence intended to intel users). This means I have one of the last pure Macs.

1995
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 18th '16, 16:49

AlumiuN wrote:
3371-Alpha wrote:One device, every program! That's the way it should be.


You know what? You're right. My 486DX should totally be able to run Battlefield 4 at max settings in 4K. Don't let the reality of computer ownership get in your way of your dream.



Yeah, I'm still waiting for A1 to work on my System 7 Performa!
Marathon Player Since 1995.

Image

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.
User avatar

Sharkie Lino
Long Island, New York

Post Feb 18th '16, 18:02

AlumiuN wrote:My 486DX should totally be able to run Battlefield 4 at max settings in 4K.

Oh please, The PowerPC 970's at least a decade newer than your 486DX. And it doesn't have to restart in MS-DOS mode to play games.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 18th '16, 19:53

3371-Alpha wrote:1) The PowerMac G5 was the world's first commercially available 64-bit computer.

Tell that to my DEC 3000 AXP Model 400.

3) Technically all modern (intel) Macs ARE PCs.

Technically, all Macs (except the Xserve?) are PCs
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 18th '16, 20:10

god can this fucking thread please die already
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 18th '16, 20:56

treellama wrote:Tell that to my DEC 3000 AXP Model 400.

Ken Olsen wrote:There is no reason for any individual to have a PowerPC in his home.
patrick
末法

Post Feb 18th '16, 21:46

Pfhorrest wrote:god can this fucking thread please die already

Pfhorrest must really hate this new version of alephone.
User avatar

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 18th '16, 21:51

treellama wrote:Tell that to my DEC 3000 AXP Model 400.

That's a workstation/server, I'm talking about general purpose machines.
treellama wrote:Technically, all Macs (except the Xserve?) are PCs

Let me clarify my self a little. Ture, Macs are "personal computers" but historically the term "PC" was copyrighted by IBM. When companies began making IBM PC clones (Compaq, ect.) that can also run MS-DOS people also began referring to them as PCs as well. Although the term "PC" isn't copyrighted anymore (at least I don't think it is) people still refer to any machine that's IBM PC compatible as a "PC".
Here's where things get interesting, in order for a machine to be classified as IBM PC compatible there are 2 requirements: first the machine must be running on the x86 architecture, second the machine must be capable of booting some form of Windows or an MS-DOS/NT-like OS such as FreeDOS (it does not necessarily have to be currently running it/installed; just capable of booting it).
My computer is capable of neither, therefore it is a "personal computer" but not a "PC".
Pfhorrest wrote:god can this fucking thread please die already

Patience, patience. All things end eventually.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 18th '16, 22:34

I hate this bullshit arguing over whether someone needs to get a new computer or not. Especially as a community centered around an ancient (in computing terms) piece of software/media. Nobody is required to help him but if he loves that older stuff and wants to fiddle with it so fucking what, this entire community is centered on the love of some old stuff.

Also Alpha, the term you want is trademark, not copyright, and "IBM-PC" was the only thing trademarked, as "PC" was already generic term before the IBM-PC existed and so could not have been trademarked.
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 19th '16, 00:20

Pfhorrest wrote:Nobody is required to help him but if he loves that older stuff and wants to fiddle with it so fucking what, this entire community is centered on the love of some old stuff.

I like old stuff, and it doesn't bother me if that dude loves older stuff. I only jumped in because somebody is wrong on the Internet but as usual the end result is the guy who doesn't know what he's talking about is just gonna dig in, so, jumping back out. Sorry guys, should have known better. Hi Forrest! Hi Patrick!

Hi Wrk
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 19th '16, 00:43

Just for the record, I don't care at all what kind of computer someone has, I only jumped in because there's some drama, and I'm a giant douche. It's OK though Pfhorrest. Just calm down, take a deep breath and buy yourself a new computer.
User avatar

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 19th '16, 00:50

3371-Alpha wrote:Let me clarify my self a little. Ture, Macs are "personal computers" but historically the term "PC" was copyrighted by IBM.


Like PowerPC

220px-IBM_PowerPC601_PPC601FD-080-2_top.jpg
220px-IBM_PowerPC601_PPC601FD-080-2_top.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 19th '16, 02:02

Pfhorrest wrote:
once and future.png
once and future.png (82.73 KiB) Viewed 2398 times


e :C :C lesiastes 9:4-5 wrote:for to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living doog is better than a dead lion

for the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is 4gotten


treellama wrote:{hello all}

tulku.jpg
tulku.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
patrick
末法

Post Feb 19th '16, 05:43

Pfhorrest wrote:the term you want is trademark, not copyright

That's exactly the term I was looking for, thank you Pfhorrest.
Pfhorrest wrote:"IBM-PC" was the only thing trademarked, as "PC" was already generic term before the IBM-PC existed and so could not have been trademarked.

Are you sure? I remember reading once that "PC" was trademarked by IBM once upon a time. Maybe I got my facts mixed up. Regardless, "PC" generally refers to IBM PC compatible machines; something that my G5 is not. Intel Macs however, are due to their x86 architecture.
Oh yes, & thanks for helping me standup to Patrick/irons/Wrkncacnter/what ever the hell else he calls himself.
irons wrote:Like PowerPC

According to IBM any connection between the PPC & the IBM PC is purely coincidental. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Maybe IBM wanted the chip to reference one of their most successful products. Although I'm generally OCD about leaving no stone unturned, I can definitely say this time that I don't give a shit. My point was the PowerPC is a damn good chip.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 19th '16, 05:57

3371-Alpha wrote:Ture, Macs are "personal computers" but historically the term "PC" was copyrighted by IBM.

I just realized I made a typo. Suppose to be "*True*, Macs are personal computers" not "Ture". Fucking twitchy fingers typed the wrong keys.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Feb 19th '16, 06:15

It seems we need to get this out of our system before we can move on.

Fine. You provoked this, 3371-Alpha. irons hadn't said anything about people's choices in hardware since January 22nd, until you brought it up again. Worse, you prompted the derailment of a thread about active engine development.

I refute two of your arguments. First:

3371-Alpha wrote:2) The best era for Mac gaming was the mid-90s to early 2000s. Don't believe me? Check out Macintosh Garden, look at all them games.

Emphasis mine. Perhaps that seemed like a safe assertion on a board dedicated to Marathon. But on the contrary, that era was the dark age of Mac gaming.
John Carmack in 2008 wrote:The truth is Steve Jobs doesn't care about games.... He's not a gamer. It's difficult to ask somebody to get behind something they don't really believe in. I mean obviously he believes in the music and the iTunes and that whole side of things, and the media side of things, and he gets it and he pushes it and they do wonderful things with that, but he's not a gamer. That's just the bottom line about it.

There are people at Apple who want to support all this ... but it's just that's not what the Mac platform's about, and I don't really expect that to change because it's a tough equation now that you've got everybody dual-booting their Macs and everything: why would you want to go to the extra trouble of [developing games for Mac]?


Mac gamers were at the mercy of an Apple CEO that didn't particularly support the companies that could give them what they wanted. While I didn't think I'd say this back in 2005, thank goodness for the move to Intel processors. You tout the number of games on Mac Garden? As of today, there are 2,991 games you can buy on Steam for OS X. To be clear, that means not rebooting to a different operating system, and not running an emulator, but running natively. With more games, more variety of games, and quicker ports, Mac gamers today are certainly in a better place than they were in PowerPC days.

Secondly, speaking of rebooting:

3371-Alpha wrote:One device, every program! That's the way it should be.


3371-Alpha wrote:...in order for a machine to be classified as IBM PC compatible ... the machine must be capable of booting some form of Windows or an MS-DOS/NT-like OS such as FreeDOS...
My computer is capable of neither...


So by your own admission, your computer setup is not the way it should be. Did you hold out this long when Apple switched architectures from Motorola 68k to PowerPC? Probably not. Because what's really at issue isn't any particular technical advantage. It's that Intel represents the old Evil Empire, and you can't let that go. Never mind that the PowerPC has also powered, for instance, Microsoft exclusive games on the Xbox 360. Never mind that today Apple's adversaries are Google and Samsung, and Intel is its partner. And never mind that Apple itself has become an empire of sorts: the world's largest tech company by total assets. You're willing to dismiss generations of progress for the sake of 'purity.'
User avatar

Crater Creator

Post Feb 19th '16, 17:53

Crater Creator wrote:irons hadn't said anything about people's choices in hardware since January 22nd, until you brought it up again. Worse, you prompted the derailment of a thread about active engine development.

I know you told me not to feed him when he's trolling, but I just couldn't help it this time. I saw an opportunity to steamroll his ass so I seized it. Sorry for dirtying up this thread though, promise not to do it again.
Crater Creator wrote:Perhaps that seemed like a safe assertion on a board dedicated to Marathon. But on the contrary, that era was the dark age of Mac gaming.

Gaming on the Mac never really took off from the beginning.
John Carmack in 2008 wrote:The truth is Steve Jobs doesn't care about games.... He's not a gamer....There are people at Apple who want to support all this ... but it's just that's not what the Mac platform's about

That is unfortunately true. Though I've herd rumors of Steve Jobs playing games occasionally, I know he's never really had an interest in games.
Crater Creator wrote:Mac gamers were at the mercy of an Apple CEO that didn't particularly support the companies that could give them what they wanted. While I didn't think I'd say this back in 2005, thank goodness for the move to Intel processors. You tout the number of games on Mac Garden? As of today, there are 2,991 games you can buy on Steam for OS X. To be clear, that means not rebooting to a different operating system, and not running an emulator, but running natively. With more games, more variety of games, and quicker ports, Mac gamers today are certainly in a better place than they were in PowerPC days.

I'm honestly not very impressed with modern games, there just rehashes of what already exists. Most games these days are either CoD clones or just don't live up to their potential. Sure there are some gems like Bioshock & Portal, but most are just cliché crap. It's more of quality vs. quantity. Further discussion into this topic is another argument for another thread.
Crater Creator wrote:Did you hold out this long when Apple switched architectures from Motorola 68k to PowerPC?

I wasn't even born at the time Apple used 68k machines. Like I said before, I'm only 18.
Crater Creator wrote:Because what's really at issue isn't any particular technical advantage. It's that Intel represents the old Evil Empire, and you can't let that go. Never mind that the PowerPC has also powered, for instance, Microsoft exclusive games on the Xbox 360. Never mind that today Apple's adversaries are Google and Samsung, and Intel is its partner. And never mind that Apple itself has become an empire of sorts: the world's largest tech company by total assets.

All so very true. I disagree with many of Apples choices. The walled garden approach to the iPhone, the removal of optical drives, the whole "merging iOS with OS X" Apple introduced with Lion. Apple has indeed become an Evil Empire of sorts.
Crater Creator wrote:You're willing to dismiss generations of progress for the sake of 'purity.'

Yes, *chuckles*. Just joking, no I'm not. As I've said before, I've considered getting a intel or AMD powered Linux machine since I don't like the iOS crap modern versions of OS X have. The reason why I haven't bought it yet is because I haven't been able to justify the price of an upgrade (I'm broke). Also if you consider the fact that my G5 already does 99.99% of everything I need and rivals the 2008 xeon in sheer power, so the upgrade really isn't justified.
Also when I said "one machine, every program" what I ment was I'd rather just use one machine for everything than use several fucking computers I have to run back and fourth to to accomplish a task. It's just easier that way.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
User avatar

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

PreviousNext

Return to Aleph One Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users