Open World in Aleph One

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Open World in Aleph One

Post Nov 27th '15, 04:39

I have a question regarding the capabilities of Aleph One. Does anyone know if it would be possible to create an open world scenario/game with this engine? It would of course need slight modification, but do you think it would be capable?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Nov 27th '15, 06:51

You should read through a previous thread on the topic. It wouldn't be easy, and in my opinion trying to make one as your first foray into scenario making would be overly ambitious. If you're more specific about the kind of experience you have in mind, we can give you more detailed answers.

Crater Creator

Post Nov 27th '15, 09:15

What I ment was a world like Minecraft or Fallout. Is that possible with this engine? Even with major re-haul? If you need an exact size, say 300mi^2.

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Nov 27th '15, 09:36

As overhauled by a scenario maker, no. The maximum area of a map is 64 WU x 64 WU, less than one square mile. As overhauled by an engine programmer with enough time and motivation, virtually anything is possible. But, (and I don't want to discourage anyone from developing for Aleph One), it'd make more sense to use a different engine as a starting point.

Crater Creator

Post Nov 27th '15, 14:44

Just use Minecraft or Fallout.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Nov 27th '15, 19:07

Fallout doesn't support Mac (excluding the old ones) and is full of bugs Bethesda outright refuses to fix for some reason (laziness), and Minecraft just isn't the same now that Microsoft owns it.

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Nov 27th '15, 20:32

No open world. Just old school, sequential levels.

philtron

Post Nov 27th '15, 21:59

Should be possible, just need to change it's method of rendering. Make it render in chunks instead of the level as a whole. Like fallout you can make the interior of buildings separate levels. Make it so pressing action on the door to the buildings will "teleport" you inside them. You just need to switch out the teleport static animation to a fade-in-fade-out.

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Nov 28th '15, 06:43

Wrkncacnter, in that other thread you were supposed to read wrote:Possibly, but depending on what you're imagining, it'll probably suck. If you transfer to a new level, it will reset everything as if it's the first time you've been there. Any state you want to keep track of you'll have to do yourself.

Also if staying on a Mac is a big priority, both Unity and Unreal have full Mac support these days. I don't want to chase you away, but I do think you have easier options for what you describe.

Crater Creator

Post Nov 28th '15, 17:08

3371-Alpha wrote:Should be possible, just need to change it's method of rendering. Make it render in chunks instead of the level as a whole. Like fallout you can make the interior of buildings separate levels. Make it so pressing action on the door to the buildings will "teleport" you inside them. You just need to switch out the teleport static animation to a fade-in-fade-out.

Let us know how it works out.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Nov 28th '15, 17:21

3371-Alpha, you're basically describing a bunch of separate levels that give the illusion of an open world. But, as Crater pointed out what Wrk pointed out, it's probably more trouble than it's worth, which I will again point out.

In addition to everything reseting every time you load a level, each level can only either have one start location or multiple random start locations. Which would kill the illusion of an open world pretty effectively.

If you want, just create a few one room maps, and use them to test out whether an open world would be feasible.

philtron

Post Nov 30th '15, 01:58

I believe the drawbacks you mentioned (levels reseting, rendering limitations, ect.) can be fixed by overhauling large parts of the engine, though I think you might be right when you say it will be more trouble than it's worth.

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Return to Aleph One Discussion