Can I replace weapons midgame with slightly different ones?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Can I replace weapons midgame with slightly different ones?

Post Jan 24th '16, 23:37

On a (long ago) project I was working on, one of the ideas I had for the scenario involved your weapons being replaced with upgraded versions that controlled slightly different (changes in accuracy, and vacuum usability), so I messed around with the pistol, SMG and shotgun graphics to make draft pickup sprites.

Is it possible to merge shape patches and physics models into maps so I can change their behavior on certain maps only as well as altering the weapon graphics, or do I have to add a new weapon, and just treat it as a "changeable" upgrade in the player's inventory?

This is the kind of thing I was wanting to do:

Image .45 Magnum Mk. II
Image .45 Magnum Mk. II with pressurized barrel, enabling vacuum use

Image KCK-A5 Shotgun, solo version
Image KCK-A5 Shotgun, netgame version, less accurate

Image SMG, dual weldable but less accurate version
Image SMG, vacuum enabled, accurate version (vacuum solo and net maps)
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.

Neonstar
New Zealand

Post Jan 25th '16, 03:33

I like your artwork. As to your question, you can definitely change physics models between levels, so guns can behave entirely differently. The game only reads from one shapes file at a time, though, so changing the graphics the way you describe... well, it seems difficult at least. It occurs to me MML can specify replacement graphics for each sprite, and MML can be level-specific. As you surmised, you can also replace some other weapon you don't need with your different-looking variant.

Crater Creator

Post Jan 25th '16, 03:39

Thanks, so it's between multiple versions of the weapons, or per-level MML?

I'll start looking into scripting after I've got my head securely around mapping.
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.

Neonstar
New Zealand

Post Jan 25th '16, 12:04

The game supports embedded shapes patches per level, so it's possible, although inefficient.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Aleph One Discussion