Marathon HD weapons/barrels/enemies?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Zetren
Born on Board

The (excellently done) new 1024x1024 textures in Marathon look out of place when compared to the vanilla weapons/barrels/enemy sprites. Are there any HD mods for this?
Last edited by Zetren on Mar 8th '16, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

-There was a pretty good scenery plugin called (surprise!) HDscenery plugin, made by tim4i. However, It no longer works with the current engine.

-A few years back, I made a Hd weapons remake with 3d item pickups, but it kinda sucks. It doesn't work with this engine either.
Zetren
Born on Board

Would they be difficult to port to the newer engine?
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Yeah, the shapes files are organized differently. One would have to redo all of the scripting from the ground up, and you couldn't use shape patches due to the different file formats. That makes aspect ratio adjustment impossible, as resizing via scripting was removed (I was told that shape patches made it redundant, funnily enough). So as far as I can tell, all new sprites must have the same dimensions and origin points.

To be honest making a new plugin that simply adds 3d models would probably be easier.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

To be fair when I made my Unofficial Update to M1Redux, I didn't have to modify the scripts very much (much of it is actually still tim4i's & herecomethej2000's original scripting). Maybe the weapons sector of the shapes file didn't change much between the revisions. Maybe I just got lucky.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Yeah, the scenery and monsters are shuffled to hell and back when you get to the later indexes. <_<
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

My understanding was MML and plugins have changed very little since their addition, at least in terms of backwards compatibility. What changed in the engine, exactly, and with what version?
AlumiuN
Born on Board

Crater Creator wrote:My understanding was MML and plugins have changed very little since their addition, at least in terms of backwards compatibility. What changed in the engine, exactly, and with what version?
I think it's because these plugins were for M1A1, not actual Marathon 1.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

AlumiuN wrote:I think it's because these plugins were for M1A1, not actual Marathon 1.
That's exactly why. 90% of all the M1 downloads on Simplici7y are actually for M1A1. The only ones that were designed with the official M1 in mind are my plugin, the 3D scenery plugin from General Tacticus & herecomethej2000's Music Remastered (though the last one's technically not a plugin).
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)