What is the best way to play co-op?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

What is the best way to play co-op?

Post Feb 15th '16, 16:22

Hi, I've recently introduced a friend of mine to Marathon and Aleph One. As a new player, I'm wondering what is the best way (within reason: I own a Windows machine) to play Marathon in co-op.

I've heard of Irons's co-op script, Marathon A1 interim, and M1A1, but I'm not sure what relevance these have, if any, to me.

The vanilla co-op mode included in Marathon v1.3a1 is a bit buggy: the legs on player sprites seem to duplicate (one sprite on-top of the other), and the firing animation of some weapons (specifically the fists), is apparently the firing animation of the assault rifle. Also I'd like to set it such that if one player dies, he does not respawn, instead requiring a reload of a previous save.
Last edited by Zetren on Mar 8th '16, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
Zetren
Ireland

Post Feb 22nd '16, 23:03

Irons' co-op script adds several features to the base co-op play, including ammo sharing and teleport beacons. If you try it, use the version here which fixes an important bug.

Marathon A1 interim was a port of M1 levels to the M2-based Aleph One engine. This port has several differences from the original Marathon, mainly in enemy behavior, so I wouldn't recommend it but some people that played it first prefer it.

M1A1 was the original port on which "Marathon A1 interim" was based. M1A1 contained extra secrets and levels which were never in Marathon, along with various porting errors in enemy and ammo placement. Marathon A1 interim was a "cleaned-up" version of M1A1 more faithful to the original. Aleph One 1.0 included Marathon A1 interim; 1.1 included original Marathon but no co-op; 1.2 and 1.3a1 include original Marathon and co-op. M1A1 was never bundled with Aleph One.

The original Marathon did not support co-op at all. This leads to some annoyances: for instance, there's only one fusion pistol in Cool Fusion instead of one for every player. I would recommend irons' script because of the weapon and ammo sharing, so the two of you don't have to fight over new weapons.

Nobody has mentioned those M1 co-op bugs before; I'll look into them. Does 1.2.1 work fine?

Unfortunately, it's not possible to revert to a previous save in co-op play. You have to manually quit the game and continue the save from the main menu.

Hopper

Post Mar 8th '16, 18:29

Excellent. Thanks for the information, makes a lot more sense now. I'll have a look at the bug later when I can get my friend over again.
Zetren
Ireland

Post Mar 9th '16, 01:42

I occasionally use it in single play as a kill counter.
(If I were to advocate any addition to AlephOne it would be a toggleable kill counter (perhaps another line on the F10 position display)).

FYI:

The old version 2.2 works fine but the 2.2 testing produces this continuous error message:
[string "Solo Lua"]:313: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value) (lua_script.cpp:1106)
[string "Solo Lua"]:313: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value) (lua_script.cpp:1106)
both on screen and in the Aleph One Log.

If I remember correctly, the bug 2.2 testing fixes wouldn't cause a problem in solo play or, at least, I haven't run into any problems yet.
So this is just for information.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Mar 11th '16, 22:46

HelviusRufus wrote:I occasionally use it in single play as a kill counter.
Attachments
Kill_Counter.lua.zip
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Hopper

Post Mar 12th '16, 09:37

Thanks loads Hopper!
It's working great. Ad caedem!
BTW, the arena area in Eternal #29 Third Rock... is a good training ground: lots o' willing targets.

Also I think I'll read it and see if'n I can figure out how it works (but probably can't).

Which thoughts caused one o those random memories:
do you remember edlin?
Makes me tired all over just thinking about it.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Return to Aleph One Discussion