Remove "limit vertical view", add config based FOV slider

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Remove "limit vertical view", add config based FOV slider

Post Jul 12th '16, 03:27

I feel that it'd be better if the "limit vertical view" option was removed and that the engine behaves like that flag is on at all times. Having this flag off introduces inconsistencies and shows black corners when looking up or down in the shader GL renderer.

Then, instead of requiring the user to make a script to increase the FOV, provide a slider right in the options. Don't show the true number of degrees with the base 2:1 ratio, instead, have it be Quake style as most users are familiar with that. That is to say, base ratio of 4:3 instead. Internally the config should still have the true value, but the in-engine options menu would show Quake style. So the default 80 would be shown as 60 instead. A max of 90 from the slider would be nice (that is, 90 in Quake style, not Marathon style).

Ideally, this FOV slider would be cosmetic only and would not affect what shows up on the automap.

Blastfrog

Post Aug 6th '16, 20:59

What exactly does "limit vertical view" do? No observable differences on my end.
Zetren
Ireland

Post Aug 6th '16, 23:17

I already asked the same question before, no one cared enough to answer.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Aug 7th '16, 02:42

I believe it sets a limit on how high up or down you can look in-game. I'm assuming it has to do with Marathon not actually being 3D, so things look weird if you look at too sharp a verticle angle.

philtron

Post Aug 7th '16, 11:03

No, that doesn't sound right. How far you can look up or down is controlled in the physics model. A preference that overrides it would probably cause netgames to go out of sync. Limit Vertical View has to do with the field of view. As I recall, the option has something to do with maintaining consistency between HUD and full screen modes.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 7th '16, 17:07

Crater Creator wrote:As I recall, the option has something to do with maintaining consistency between HUD and full screen modes.

what does this mean?
Zetren
Ireland

Return to Aleph One Discussion