Blastfrog's shitty suggestions thread

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Re: Blastfrog's shitty suggestions thread

Post Jul 21st '16, 19:57

@ Wrkncacnter, Jul 21st '16, 19:33

Ah, I see. Thank you.
I hadn't thought o that.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Jul 21st '16, 21:23

Wrk, I wasn't referring to myself.

I have watched your lot drive off a good number potentially useful of people over the years. I have also met quite a few Doom folks who like Marathon, yet won't approach this place because of the hostile atmosphere your actions create.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few retro fps fans. If we had a less hostile environment, we would see quite a few more people hanging around.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 21st '16, 21:31

The in game lobby is not hostile and never has been. It would be the place new people would go if they actually want to PLAY the game. For people that just want to talk about it, there's the story forum which has been around forever, and has never been hostile either.

If people are avoiding "this place", that's fine. Why should they come to the pfhorums, it serves no purpose whatsoever. The idea that DOOM fans avoid the game because of one forum that didn't even exist until 2005 is pretty ridiculous.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:07

You clearly do not understand how communities work, nor do you have any written comprehension skills apparently.

I am referring to retro Fps enthusiasts who play Doom, of which there are many. Not hardcore Doom fans

Let me spell it out:
IN ORDER TO FOSTER A COMMUNITY OF REGULAR PLAYERS YOU NEED A NON HOSTILE VENUE FOR THEM TO SOCIALIZE IN.

When somebody plays the game and then sees the forums to be a hellhole, they are far less likely to contribute to the community. How hard is it to wrap your head around that notion?

*edit: The story forums aren.t a place to discuss content.
Last edited by General Tacticus on Jul 21st '16, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:13

General Tacticus wrote:I have also met quite a few Doom folks...Not hardcore Doom fans

OK. I think I figured it out. You're Shadowbreaker's alt account, and you're still butthurt about something someone said to you years ago.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:15

pardon? have you taken your anti-psychotics today?

General Tacticus

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:24

Well, let's see. You started posting a few months after he stopped posting. You never had a problem with me until this post (and as far as hostility goes, that was incredibly tame). And it would explain everything about your current behavior.

So, hi Shadowbreaker.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:43

You are dead wrong, friend. Royoko, IP address check please?

I had a problem with your behavior loooong before that comment, too.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:49

RyokoTK wrote:can we just delete this entire fucking website now

That's not going to change anything. Besides, you'd still be able to find it archived on The Wayback Machine.
Wrkncacnter wrote:Forking is a pretty big deal, because every change/improvement to AlephOne from that point forward won't necessarily be introduced into the forked version. Someone would have to spend extra time and effort to apply the change in both places. And you'd have to decide whether you even want the change.

Over time the 2 engines will diverge enough to the point where some players will only like one engine, and others will only like the other. Then you've just split the community in two.

I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing, just why you wouldn't want to fork a project without having a good reason.

Thank you Wrk for uselessly repeating a point I already tried to make:
3371-Alpha wrote:There's no need to divide an already small community and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

General Tacticus wrote:IN ORDER TO FOSTER A COMMUNITY OF REGULAR PLAYERS YOU NEED A NON HOSTILE VENUE FOR THEM TO SOCIALIZE IN.

Agreed, Wrks a dick. Now can we get back to engine development.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Jul 21st '16, 23:58

I like how you call me a dick in the same post as calling my post useless. Even though I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to HelviusRufus, and provided a much more detailed explanation than you.

Let's just agree that everyone here is a dick, because seriously, re-read this whole thread. If someone wants a "NON HOSTILE VENUE", they can go to one of the many alternative forums dedicated to this game, as clearly no one here is capable of providing this.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 22nd '16, 01:37

3371-Alpha wrote:Agreed, Wrks a dick. Now can we get back to engine development.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Jul 22nd '16, 01:47

Wrkncacnter wrote:So, hi Shadowbreaker.

These are trying times, with doog lurching ever closer to a preempting release.
patrick
末法

Post Jul 22nd '16, 02:21

General Tacticus wrote:*edit: The story forums aren.t a place to discuss content.

They are, actually. I had almost the first post there and was immediately asking "Wait, is this place not just for story discussion?" because people were immediately discussing, in the actual first real thread, Aleph One or something (IIRC) , and the consensus seems to be since then that anything goes.

Seriously, everyone is welcome to discuss anything at the MSF. I do agree that this place could stand to bite the newbies a lot less though. There's no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid teachers. Honestly, as bad as half the ideas put forth here have apparently been, even I, as far from a newb as you can get in the Marathon community, couldn't have immediately said why they were bad ideas, beyond a trivial "that would mean someone would have to do work and there's too few developers with too much work already."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 22nd '16, 03:15

Hear! Hear! I agree wholeheartedly with Pfhorrest's assessment.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jul 22nd '16, 03:18

Thank you guys for being patient with us.
Unfortunately the MSF's format precludes things like project development threads. It makes multiple concurrent discussions difficult to browse, and past threads are organized in a way that makes archive browsing sub-optimal.

Aside from that, there are no other active discussion sites of note. So basically, the only options for content creators are: personal websites (which are time consuming and inefficient), blogs (which tend to get lost and are hard to archive) and here.

Currently I host my project stuff on a blog, but that is a very poor way to reach community members.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 22nd '16, 06:11

Maybe instead of forking the engine, you could fork the forum.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 22nd '16, 06:17

Yeah, you could call the new forum INFINITYS. I like this idea.

Also, have you guys ever heard of reddit?

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 22nd '16, 06:33

You mean the place extremely ill-suited for hosting project threads? Yes.

I'm pretty sure this forum already has a place for pointless discussion, people just don't use it. (and the admins don't enforce it)

General Tacticus

Post Jul 22nd '16, 07:49

Guess you're SOL then.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 22nd '16, 09:58

Now you're catching on.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 22nd '16, 12:56

Wrkncacnter wrote:So, hi Shadowbreaker.

Wow, how did I not catch this. Nice work.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 22nd '16, 15:04

seriously though we should probably close this forum

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 22nd '16, 16:19

So, yeah, a lot of the veterans are toxic assholes whose behavior disincentivizes new people from participating in the community. But. A lot of new people are self-entitled and demanding (which is another way to be a toxic asshole) whose behavior disincentivizes veterans from participating in the community (at least in a constructive way). It takes two to tango, so the reasons behind this community's atmosphere go both ways.

There are probably ways to fix this and make this a more constructive and active community.

Then again, people (veterans and newbs) are all most active when there's something to argue and be angry about, so maybe deep down this is what everyone secretly wants.

philtron

PreviousNext

Return to Aleph One Discussion