Blastfrog's shitty suggestions thread

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Re: Blastfrog's shitty suggestions thread

Post Jul 18th '16, 22:54

If you were to replace all of the internal mechanics necessary to make the mouse as smooth as modern games it would no longer be marathon. You'd spend a massive amount of effort doing this and gain maybe 50 new people for a couple months.

Meanwhile, the rest of us that like to play the same game we played as a kid would have no interest in this new engine. You'd have to make it an option so that we could play with exactly the same feel it has today. I have a feeling supporting both the old and new game mechanics in this scenario would be a complete clusterfuck in code.

If you think blastfrog's idea of just throwing a layer on top of the existing mechanics to make the mouse feel better will work, I don't think you understand the fundamental issues here.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 18th '16, 23:23

I am not advocating sweeping changes, sir. All I was asking for was FOV options in the preferences.

A system like the "timewarping" feature used in VR headsets to smooth rotation at low framerates would be feasible for mouse control (as it is entirely post-processing), but I understand that the devs are understaffed.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 18th '16, 23:34

You had mentioned the mouse issue as the main thing that drives new players away, so I was focusing on that.

Just curious though, how many people have told you that FOV was the reason they didn't want to continue playing the game? Next time it happens, show them the trick Ryoko mentioned earlier, which takes 1 minute. Do you honestly believe they will think that is a large improvement? Have you tried it yourself?

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 19th '16, 00:46

Yes, I did it a long time ago. It is a large improvement.

I have interacted with a few people who get motion sickness from low fov, and had pointed them to the fix. Word of mouth is, however, extremely limited.

Although the mouse is the large deterrent, I figure the ability to change an already extant variable should be easier to tackle. It would at least make the engine tolerable to more people.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 19th '16, 00:58

LOL, increasing FOV to reduce motion sickness in marathon. If anyone still wasn't sure if this was a troll thread, you now have the answer.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 19th '16, 01:20

Not joking, low Fov is just as bad as high Fov for motion sickness. 80º is low enough to trigger that is some people, just as 120º is high enough to trigger it in others. Saying otherwise is ignorant.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 19th '16, 01:37

Wrkncacnter wrote:If you were to replace all of the internal mechanics necessary to make the mouse as smooth as modern games it would no longer be marathon. Meanwhile, the rest of us that like to play the same game we played as a kid would have no interest in this new engine.

haven't you ever heard of toggleable options?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Jul 19th '16, 01:57

3371-Alpha wrote:
Wrkncacnter wrote:If you were to replace all of the internal mechanics necessary to make the mouse as smooth as modern games it would no longer be marathon. Meanwhile, the rest of us that like to play the same game we played as a kid would have no interest in this new engine.

haven't you ever heard of toggleable options?

I guess reading more than a couple sentences was too hard for you?

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 19th '16, 14:36

In regards to the virtual mouse, it would not be perfect because the speed caps would still apply, but it would increase accuracy to select which angle you want to face when within those speed caps, and you can stop exactly where you want to if your target aim exceeds the speed caps.

Not to mention, there would ideally be an option to use the original mechanics as they are now.

Not requesting it right now, but I had a thought about weapon selection with individual keys. A "virtual cycler" could be used to cycle forward or backward (whichever has the least number of steps) and send a cycle command every tic until the desired weapon is selected.

Blastfrog

Post Jul 19th '16, 15:52

Blastfrog wrote:In regards to the virtual mouse, it would not be perfect because the speed caps would still apply, but it would increase accuracy to select which angle you want to face when within those speed caps, and you can stop exactly where you want to if your target aim exceeds the speed caps.

Not to mention, there would ideally be an option to use the original mechanics as they are now.

"and you can stop exactly where you want to" -- I don't think this is correct, due to engine limitations. Maybe we think the mouse support sucks for different reasons. I guess I'll have to see it in action to know what your goal is.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 19th '16, 17:23

Wrkncacnter wrote:I have a feeling supporting both the old and new game mechanics in this scenario would be a complete clusterfuck in code.

Maybe it is time to fork? But, if I ever work on a Marathon engine again, it would be the one faithful to the originals.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 19th '16, 20:52

treellama wrote:Maybe it is time to fork? But, if I ever work on a Marathon engine again, it would be the one faithful to the originals.

Why don't we all just stop bickering like children, and work together to fix this fucking engine! There's no need to divide an already small community and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. The engine is fine, it just needs to be tuned up to modern standards. I gave you a list of what to fix now lets discuss that.

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Jul 19th '16, 21:39

As it stands right now, the current version of A1 fulfills the goals of replicating original gameplay perfectly. The only work needed is in keeping it up to date with modern operating systems.

I think it may be a good idea to change gears and move to a new engine project. As I said before, getting outside help would make things easier, and there are people who would be willing to give it.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 19th '16, 21:44

3371-Alpha wrote:
treellama wrote:Maybe it is time to fork? But, if I ever work on a Marathon engine again, it would be the one faithful to the originals.

Why don't we all just stop bickering like children, and work together to fix this fucking engine! There's no need to divide an already small community and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. The engine is fine, it just needs to be tuned up to modern standards. I gave you a list of what to fix now lets discuss that.

You are an expert at reading half of what somebody said.
w00se

Post Jul 19th '16, 22:44

I wonder if people on the Chocolate Doom forums complain about a lack of bridges and balconies or shit like that.

"This engine is broken, you can't look up or down!"

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 19th '16, 23:50

they don't, because they have alternative engines that run doom. we have no such luxury.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 20th '16, 02:15

RyokoTK wrote:I wonder if people on the Chocolate Doom forums complain about a lack of bridges and balconies or shit like that.

Lack of bridges isn't really a problem. The problem is the shitty input system.
You can't use numbers to switch weapons, can't bind a function to more than one key/button, you cant manually reload your guns, an worst of all (one of the biggest turnoffs to new players) zoom can't be rebound to anything (but the FPS meter can for some reason).

3371-Alpha
Veldin Orbit

Post Jul 20th '16, 02:33

You two just missed the point so well you could probably compete at Rio.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 20th '16, 03:39

Did you not read what I said earlier? I WAS IN FAVOR OF A FORK!

aleph one serves it's purpose, But we lack a way to play marathon that doesnt suck. So. We. Need. An. Alternative.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 20th '16, 04:06

General Tacticus wrote:I WAS IN FAVOR OF A FORK!

Happiness is a deep fryer
And a big fork

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 20th '16, 04:13

Nice to know you still care.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 20th '16, 04:35

It's like having ten thousand feature requests when all you need is a fork.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 20th '16, 04:39

back to serious discussion, how many a1 devs are on staff anyway?

General Tacticus

Post Jul 20th '16, 04:43

Well, looks like there hasn't been a commit since May. I guess it's all you now!

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 20th '16, 05:04

thanks for being useless, wrk, but is anybody other than hopper still working on anything?

General Tacticus

PreviousNext

Return to Aleph One Discussion