Aleph One on PocketChip

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Aleph One on PocketChip

Post Aug 15th '16, 22:29

So for anyone who doesn't know CHIP/PocketCHIP is a small ARM based computer like a smaller Raspberry pi. anywho I got Aleph One working on the CHIP via HDMI which is Awesome. However on the PocketChip the built in screen is 480x272 So trying to do any fullscreen causes a crash "Can't open video display (No video mode large enough for 640x480) is there any way around this to have it run fullscreen at 480x272? playing windowed and moving the window in a way that the HUD is visable it is full speed and easily playable. If i could just get fullscreen and everything on screen it would work great! Thank you for your time!

kainxkitsune

Post Aug 24th '16, 05:43

I actually came here to post the exact same question! I just got my PocketCHIP yesterday, and this was the first thing I went to run on it.

EDIT: I can run it in windowed mode, but it's too large for the screen and I can't seem to move it or scale it down...

I can't find a config file reference. Would you share yours?

EDIT 2: Getting a malloc memory corruption error when trying to start a game. Hmm...

EDIT 3: Ah, the malloc issue went away futzing with graphics prefs, but not sure what did it. I think it was hiding the HUD? Using the scmode_width/height flags in the settings file didn't work for me...
Pfhortune

Post Aug 24th '16, 12:21

Aleph One isn't going to run unless you have at least 640x480. Do you have xrandr on there? You could try scaling down a 960x544 framebuffer with --scale

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 27th '16, 15:32

treellama wrote:Aleph One isn't going to run unless you have at least 640x480. Do you have xrandr on there? You could try scaling down a 960x544 framebuffer with --scale

yeah Thats what I figured out. Checking my CHIP now. yeah xrandr is installed.

Tried playing with xrandr and --scale tried
Code: Select all
xrandr --output default --mode 480x272 --scale 2.5x2.5

and the error I get is

xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 480x272 (desired size 1200x680)

output of xrandr -q is
Screen 0: minimum 480x272, current 480x272, maximum 480x272
default connected 480x272+0+0 0mmx 0mm
     480x272            0.00*

edit: Also thank you for the help!

Pfhortune wrote:I actually came here to post the exact same question! I just got my PocketCHIP yesterday, and this was the first thing I went to run on it.

EDIT: I can run it in windowed mode, but it's too large for the screen and I can't seem to move it or scale it down...

I can't find a config file reference. Would you share yours?

EDIT 2: Getting a malloc memory corruption error when trying to start a game. Hmm...

EDIT 3: Ah, the malloc issue went away futzing with graphics prefs, but not sure what did it. I think it was hiding the HUD? Using the scmode_width/height flags in the settings file didn't work for me...

you can find alot of my adventure on the bbs you can't use the enhanced hud for one reason or another. I got everything up and running great. just the screenr rez issue with the pocketchip but on chip with hdmi it works great

kainxkitsune

Return to Aleph One Discussion