Tiny, itty bitty little feature request...

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
pakkman781
Cyborg

Ok, way back, through the ages when we all played (or should have been playing) Marathon on our nice, beige Macs, there was this thing that happened in Marathon, that does not happen in A1. What I am reffering too (pause for suspense) is that little screen dimming thingy that happened when you paused. I would really, really like to have that, or something like that, back in the Mac Aleph One (no idea about the SDL versions but I want it in NIBs) because I can never tell if I'm paused or not, and that makes me crazy. So if any devs are reading, or if anybody could put this through to the devs, it would be nice if that could be implemented in the next Mac build. Pretty Pleez? First person to do this gets a trillion awesome points!
shongshong
Vidmaster

lol, that doesnt sound too hard to do, for the devs, (hopefully)

I rekn that would be a cool extra feature to have!
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Destroyer E

Also in Aleph One, the game will unpause if you were switching apps and return to Aleph One, which is slightly annoying. I would like to be able to see if I am paused, it would prevent confusion and some embarrassing moments.
poofy
Mjolnir Mark IV

You can pause?
lol butts
shongshong
Vidmaster

actualy, I alwayse press escape to pause, that alwayse works greatly for me, it gives you a message to continue or not! [MLaugh]
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Switch
Vidmaster

shongshong wrote: actualy, I alwayse press escape to pause, that alwayse works greatly for me, it gives you a message to continue or not! [MLaugh]
I do the same, dident even know there was an official pause button
pakkman781
Cyborg

To Pause you press Command-P. I just need a little something to let me know that it is, in fact, paused. Mebbe a little 10-25% fade/darken.
poofy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wow..Now that I know, I guess that would be a nice feature.

And what are you talking about, DE? How is it annoying that it unpauses when you return to AlephOne? Were you planning on sitting there for a whlie before you start playing again?
Last edited by poofy on Jun 21st '06, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
lol butts
treellama
Vidmaster

If dim isn't working (I know it does for SDL, why don't you give that a try...it's much better), that's not a feature request, just a bug, because it should work. You can file a bug report on sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&g...997&atid=101997
Switch
Vidmaster

Destroyer E wrote: it would prevent confusion and some embarrassing moments.
poofy wrote: And what are you talking about, DE? How is it annoying that it unpauses when you return to AlephOne? Were you planning on sitting there for a whlie before you start playing again?
I'm assuming hes talking about taking your laptop to a vary crowded (and quiet) place and having the sounds of Pfhor and BoBs start fireing off as you frantically try to shut down the game, I had the same fear with iTunes before I found out It pauses when you close your laptop ( I ❤ Apple )
Last edited by Switch on Jun 21st '06, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer E

appleswitch wrote: I'm assuming hes talking about taking your laptop to a vary crowded (and quiet) place and having the sounds of Pfhor and BoBs start fireing off as you frantically try to shut down the game, I had the same fear with iTunes before I found out It pauses when you close your laptop ( I ? Apple )
Hahaha... yeah, that's the embarrassing stuff alright. Also, if I pause it before a Pfhor shoots me, I like time to look at the screen for a bit before I decide what to do.
poofy
Mjolnir Mark IV

DE: Hmm, I'm about to die. Let me think about that for a moment...

[MTongue]
lol butts
assassingao
Vidmaster

DE: Hmm, I'm about to die. Let me think about that for a moment...

DE: Hmm... go a bit to the right, or left? Maybe I could just step back off... Wait! I won't let myself disgraced by another pfhor! Let's just run straight forward!

*DE unpause the game*
*DE's player was instantly killed by that pfhor*

Same reaction, use a bit more time, with the same result. :)
poofy
Mjolnir Mark IV

assassingao wrote:
Random babbling

What the hell did I just say?
You said random babbling
lol butts
assassingao
Vidmaster

Yeah, for quoting non-existent post.
Destroyer E

Okay, to clarify:

I'm playing Marathon and someone IMs me. I pause the game. Upon my return, here is the scenario:
I'm standing in a room, holding an AR-75. I have half a tank of red health. There's two hunters standing several feet away. There are four bolts a couple feet away, heading towards me. They are enough to finish me. On each side of me is a pool of lava, though the walkway I'm standing on is wide. Behind me are two fighters, but they are further back, before the pools of lava begin. On the opposite side of the left lava pool there is a door that I could jump behind for protection. Also behind that door is ammo. I'm fine on ammo now, but it would still be nice. My options:1.) Try sidestepping left or right, risking falling in the lava pools but avoiding the bolts, then moving forward to take on the hunters.
2.) Try sidestepping left or right, risking a fall into the lava pools but avoiding the bolts, then moving backwards to take on the fighters.
3.) Move straight backwards, hopefully outrunning the bolts. Take on the fighters, later worrying about the hunters.
4.) Make a break for the ammo room, in any way possible.
5.) Accept fate and die.That's plenty to consider. I'd probably think about it for 10 seconds or so before returning, most likely choosing option 1. Hopefully the bolts would hit the fighter behind me, taking care of them. Then I'd just need to get by the hunters.

Edit: Just to let you know, I probably could have come up with a better scenario, but this is just the stuff I can pull out of my ass right now.
Last edited by Destroyer E on Jun 23rd '06, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

We could not only implement the dimming pause idea, but we could also have support for custom pause screens, similar to custom load screens you can make.
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
poofy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Let's make pausing KILL YOU!!!
lol butts
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

All in favor of a pause screen that kills poofy?

*All foumites raise their hands and say 'Aye'*
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob
poofy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Aye!
lol butts