Marathon Game Sound Remix (M1A1) using MML

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Marathon Game Sound Remix (M1A1) using MML

Post Dec 5th '16, 05:40

WOW, it's been a long time since I've last signed into the forums but recently I've taken interest into looking into the Marathon Markup Language and wanted to experiment it.

Until now I noticed that the sound effects for the First Marathon Game has old sound effects, I wondered if I can somehow change the sound effects to make better fit into the modern era. I looked into the MML documentation and noticed that there is a <sounds> element, then I've partially understood how the sound element works.

This is what I think it looks like:

<Marathon>
<sounds>
<sound index = "[Get sound number]" slot = "[0 to 4]" file = "[Sound Path]"/>
</sounds>
</marathon>

Index is where it uses the Sound Entity number, Slot is which extra file is filled, and file is where the sound effect is located.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to use the mml for sound but when i tried to load it up in M1A1 nothing seems to be replaced. I was wondering if I was using the wrong file format for sound(A.K.A. mp3 or WAV)?

Does the <sounds> element use a specific sound file format, and is there anything missing from the MML code I tried to use? Because I was interested into replacing the M1A1 weapon sound effects.
Corruptinator

Post Dec 6th '16, 06:23

I really don't know much about this, but here is something I did and perhaps it will give you an idea.

This is for Infinity.
The shpunnnggg sound annoyed me so I wrote this MML to change the sound to one noticeable but not intrusive

<marathon>
<sounds got_item="111"
got_powerup="117">
</sounds>
</marathon>

and put it in the scripts file in the Infinity folder, and it works. Though I don't know how or why.

I know this isn't what you want to do, but perhaps it'll give you an idea.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Dec 6th '16, 11:42

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Corruptinator

Post Dec 6th '16, 13:15

So the code does work, but I am still having trouble when I am trying to replace other sounds. It's as if I didn't get the naming right or etc...

Also, I noticed this interesting addon:

http://simplici7y.com/items/scuba-sounds

This uses an enhanced, better way of loading WAV files into the game externally by means of using MML, and I've tried it out in Marathon 2 but nothing comes through.

I am now curious, is the <sounds> element bugged, broken, or else incomplete? Cause I wanted to utilize the benefit of replacing sounds in any scenario.
Corruptinator

Post Dec 8th '16, 19:48

I know what you're trying to do but I think a different route may be better.

Rather than an MML, you could make a new sounds file - newsounds.sndA.

Download Tycho's Trinity for an example of a great sounds file. The combat background sounds on Veni Vidi Vici are amazing and they work on other maps too. For example, some net maps played solo with Survival sound lonely but with the Trinity sounds file, there is a whole squad of soldiers present. It also has a new pistol sound.

This way, if someone wanted to use your sounds they could just substitute it for the stock sounds.sndA in whatever they are playing. Also, the player only has to keep track of one file. The scuba sounds package you mention involves 4 files.

Of course, I don't know how sounds files are made or work either. Just an idea.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Return to Aleph One Discussion