Marathon download missing necessary files?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Marathon download missing necessary files?

Post Feb 25th '18, 05:21

Apologies if dumb question, but I recently downloaded a fresh .zip of Marathon 1 and it won't launch. It appears as though the 'images' file is no longer there. Why is this and/or how can I fix this?

Flowers

Post Feb 25th '18, 07:24

The odd thing here is that my Marathon folder is also missing the images file but it works just fine... maybe someone who is more knowledgeable knows why that is?

If you are using Windows like me, I might know the solution. I once was unable to launch my Marathon and got no error messages. In my case, running the application as an administrator (choose the option by right clicking) was the solution.

Have you tried standard debug procedures (restart, run as admin, etc.)? Marathon shouldn't need admin rights, and I don't normally have to give Marathon admin rights except on one odd incident when it mysteriously wouldn't start for me.

If you got an error message, it would help to know what it was.
CluckyInventor

Post Feb 25th '18, 07:33

M1 doesn't have an images file, instead, it has the Marathon.appl file which is actually the binhexed resource fork of the original M1 application.

Not having a theme plugin can also cause Marathon to fail in the same way that not having an images file will, but the error message shown when that happens will mislead you into thinking you need an images file.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Feb 25th '18, 07:53

I did a fresh download of Marathon, and it launched fine for me. I don't think the .zip is missing a theme since then mine should have failed to run as well.
CluckyInventor

Post Feb 25th '18, 12:10

CluckyInventor wrote:Have you tried standard debug procedures (restart, run as admin, etc.)?

Yes, doesn't seem to do anything.

ravenshining wrote:M1 doesn't have an images file, instead, it has the Marathon.appl file which is actually the binhexed resource fork of the original M1 application.

Not having a theme plugin can also cause Marathon to fail in the same way that not having an images file will, but the error message shown when that happens will mislead you into thinking you need an images file.

How peculiar. Well, the more you know. I wonder what the problem could be? I've played Marathon 1 before obviously, on this PC. Unsure why it's giving me issues now. Hmm....
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.42 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Flowers

Post Feb 25th '18, 17:02

I really don't know much of anything about the back end of Marathon at this point, but if I had to take a guess it would be as follows:

I think it is a preferences file issue. The "Marathon Preferences" file you get in the download is not actually the marathon preferences file, it's just the default preferences for the first run. So I believe what's happening here is that your new download is reading the preferences of your old download, which expect the images/shapes/sounds/etc to be named different things than they are in the new download.

Try moving your preferences file (located in your appdata folder under /local/alephone) out and see what happens (or rename it to 'old preferences' or something). Does the game work if it rebuilds the preferences from the default?
CluckyInventor

Post Feb 25th '18, 20:11

^ this. also, depending on your OS, the preferences might be under ~/.alephone/

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Feb 25th '18, 20:45

Ah yes, deleting the preferences file for Marathon seems to have fixed the problem. I appreciate the tech support from both of you, as I doubt I would have ever solved this issue on my own. Big thanks!

Flowers

Return to Aleph One Discussion