How to disable Smooth Text?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

I was just wondering where is the setting to disable Smooth Text? On the System Se7en page, it mentions the ability to do that. I changed the setting manually in the generated preferences file on Mac OS X.

This only worked with Marathon though. In the attached screenshots, the text is still smooth in Marathon 2 & Marathon Infinity. I've been through every setting in Aleph One and I don't see this option anywhere.
Attachments
Marathon
Marathon
Marathon 2
Marathon 2
Marathon Infinity
Marathon Infinity
treellama
Vidmaster

There's two sets of smoothing going on here: Smooth Text, which I do think you've successfully disabled (to the extent that's possible), and the texture filtering when the 640x160 HUD is scaled up to fit your screen. I don't think you can turn off the texture filtering on the HUD.

You could run at 640x480, but your monitor or video card will probably do smoothing for you instead. Try running at 640x480 in windowed mode and see if the text is sharp there.
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

treellama wrote:There's two sets of smoothing going on here: Smooth Text, which I do think you've successfully disabled (to the extent that's possible), and the texture filtering when the 640x160 HUD is scaled up to fit your screen. I don't think you can turn off the texture filtering on the HUD.

You could run at 640x480, but your monitor or video card will probably do smoothing for you instead. Try running at 640x480 in windowed mode and see if the text is sharp there.
Yeah, it is sharp @ 640x480. Why would disabling smooth font work on Marathon but not the other 2 games when @ 1280x960? I would understand if all 3 games had smooth font while @ 1280x960. Isn't the text separate from the HUD in all 3 games?

edit:
I changed the Rendering System to software (was using OpenGL Classic before) and the text is no longer smooth. Both games don't run great at 1280x960 when using the Software rendering system.
treellama
Vidmaster

eisnerguy1 wrote:Yeah, it is sharp @ 640x480. Why would disabling smooth font work on Marathon but not the other 2 games when @ 1280x960? I would understand if all 3 games had smooth font while @ 1280x960. Isn't the text separate from the HUD in all 3 games?
The Marathon 2 HUD is rendered at 640x160 and scaled up; the Marathon HUD (which is a looser emulation of the original) is rendered at native resolution. That's why the text looks different.
treellama
Vidmaster

You could try this HUD for Marathon 2: http://simplici7y.com/items/m2-default-hud

That works the same way as the Marathon HUD (emulated via Lua)
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

treellama wrote:
eisnerguy1 wrote:Yeah, it is sharp @ 640x480. Why would disabling smooth font work on Marathon but not the other 2 games when @ 1280x960? I would understand if all 3 games had smooth font while @ 1280x960. Isn't the text separate from the HUD in all 3 games?
The Marathon 2 HUD is rendered at 640x160 and scaled up; the Marathon HUD (which is a looser emulation of the original) is rendered at native resolution. That's why the text looks different.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for expelling it to me [MUp]
treellama wrote:You could try this HUD for Marathon 2: http://simplici7y.com/items/m2-default-hud

That works the same way as the Marathon HUD (emulated via Lua)
I will. Thanks!
Da Spadger
Born on Board

I updated A1 recently and too decided to turn smooth text off.

There's some issues there. It looks worse in the menu but I couldn't get a screenshot of that.

Any idea what's going on, Treellama?