Building a .rsrc File for an Existing Map

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
The Man
Vidmaster

I have the original Rubicon map. I also have a copy of every asset that appears in the resource fork. The trouble I’m experiencing is that I need a way to put these items together in a way that will play with the original Rubicon films. The Aleph One documentation suggests that you can put the resource fork in the same folder as the map with a .rsrc or .resource ending. So I have Rubicon Classic Map.rsrc and Rubicon Classic Map.sceA in the “Rubicon Data” folder.

Unfortunately, Aleph One doesn’t appear to recognise the resources. I’ve tried two different methods to save the .rsrc file. One is simply taking an alternate version of the merged map with Atque, then copying everything starting with “clut” into a new file and saving as Rubicon Classic Map.rsrc. I then tried copying the resources folder into a new “Rubicon Map Resources” folder without any of the map data, then merging it in Atque. This also seemed to merge successfully, but Aleph One still doesn’t recognise it. I’m not sure if this is because Atque merges them in a manner that it doesn’t like or what. It’s possible that Atque is the problem. (Merging the entire split map with the resources, I should note, also doesn’t work; it doesn’t remain compatible with the films, and for that matter, the resources don’t appear to load.)

Ideally, I’d just be able to copy the resources back into the resource fork in an emulator, then drop it on MacBinary, but getting an emulator running is a whole can of worms that I’ve simply not had the mental energy to address right now. Perhaps I’ll have time on Tuesday, which is the first day I can remember (a) having off and (b) having nothing planned in ages; I’ve simply been incredibly busy since returning from vacation. (Though, on that note, does anyone have a clear, current walkthrough they’d recommend for setting up an emulator, either 680x0 or PPC, on Intel Macs?)

In any case, does anyone have a quick and dirty solution for this? I’d prefer to be able to have terminal images when I start encoding Rubicon films. It’s entirely possible Atque is the wrong application to use for this – if there’s something else that works on Intel Macs without emulation, let me know. Thanks in advance.

(I should note that I intend to email C Lund fairly soon, and there’s a remote possibility that he may still have an SDL-converted copy of the whole original Rubicon map, which would completely annihilate the need for me to do this, but even if he does, I’d like to know how to do this for future reference. For that matter, if someone else has it, feel free to post it here as well.)

ETA: The problem might be my own dumbassery. Atque isn’t even merging the resources properly when I recompile the split map and the resources; the terminal pictures still don’t display. I’ll see how I can fix this and report back.

Edit 2: IDK what the problem is. Atque isn’t recognising any pictures below 00128; when I split the version I just merged, everything with IDs of 00128 and above looks mostly OK, but everything below that appears to be absent. The Rubicon map uses PICTs with IDs as low as 00000. That’s part of the problem - I’ve been testing using the first level, which uses images with IDs of 00000 and 00010. Any advice for a workaround would be wonderful. However, it’s not the whole problem - I just tried Breathing Nothing at All, which has pictures with much higher IDs, and it still isn’t recognising the .rsrc file. I give up. I’m going to sleep.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
treellama
Vidmaster

Yep Rubicon resources are invalid, Atque can’t merge them. You’ll have to use MacBinary.
The Man
Vidmaster

I’d been afraid of that; thanks for the confirmation. A few follow-up questions:
  1. Is there a way to extract the resource fork from the Rubicon X map as a quick-and-dirty cheat until I manage to get an emulator running? Many of the resources look identical, though I didn’t go through all of them. From the ones I checked, RX seems to have resources that aren’t in the original map, but not vice versa.
  2. Why isn’t A1 recognising the higher resource numbers in the .rsrc file? (e.g., terminal images in “Breathing Nothing at All”, etc. don’t display, despite being ≥128)
  3. Recommendations for a clear, current guide to setting up PPC/680x0 emulation on Intel OS X?
Thanks in advance.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Maybe someone with a mac emulator already set up can just do it for you. It would probably take 2 seconds. My main computer died on me though, so not me.
The Man
Vidmaster

That’d be nice, and I’d certainly appreciate it, but I do need to set an emulator up for M1 film encoding anyway. (Plus encoding a few M∞ films that don’t work in A1 for various reasons – offhand, “Prison Sex”, John’s fists-only “Confound Delivery” and no-recharging “Poor Yorick”, the M1R films, various vid tips, possibly others.) Unless someone wants to encode all those films, too, but I wouldn’t ask that of anyone because it’d be a colossal amount of effort. (There are literally hundreds of them, and at least half will almost certainly end up being 1GB or larger. You’ll also probably have to encode them in real time, and some of them get very long.)

Still, if someone who has a working emulator wants to put together a MacBinary encode of the original Rubicon map, I’d definitely appreciate it. This .zip archive should have everything you need (let me know if this file host doesn’t work and I’ll upload it elsewhere, too).

Tomorrow is the first day I’ll have had off work where I won’t have anything planned in, seemingly, months, so maybe I’ll finally be able to devote serious mental energy to the task of setting up an emulator. We’ll see how things go. There’s also a chance Chris Lund still has an SDL encode of the original map. I intend to email him tomorrow as well (assuming Scott still had Chris’ current email address – he wasn’t sure).

However, all these avenues have the potential to take awhile, so if someone does already have a working emulator ready and is willing to throw together a MacBinary version, I’d still appreciate it a lot, as I’d be able to start encoding Rubicon films as soon as they’ve done so.

ravenshining
Vidmaster

Where did you get the map? I could MacBinary it for you it in two seconds if you had the original archive before you opened it.
The Man
Vidmaster

Pfhorums member eisnerguy1 provided the data fork; Dr Sumner had the images etc. for the resource fork, but we couldn’t figure out a way for him to send it to me intact. (IIRC, he has an actual PPC Mac running OS9, but doesn’t want to run it very often because he doesn’t want to risk screwing it up.) If building the resource fork manually from those several dozen images is too difficult, you might just be able to run MacBinary on the Rubicon X map, copy the resource fork from that version into the classic map, and run MacBinary on that. I didn’t go through the entire resource fork, but from the parts I did comb through, they only added stuff to the resource fork; they didn’t change any resource IDs or remove anything. Of course, if the RX map isn’t in MacBinary format, that won’t help. If you’re patient enough to rebuild the resource fork manually, I also doubt I’d need the CLUT or snd resources because the chapter screens don’t show up in films anyway. (Which means you can also skip the chapter screens.)

ETA: Patrick: your link worked perfectly. Thank you so much; I’ll begin encoding the films tomorrow. (I’d make a new post, but that stupid $**$ing post limit won’t allow me. I’ll post again tomorrow.)
Last edited by The Man on Jul 24th '18, 05:43, edited 2 times in total.

patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

here
ravenshining wrote:Where
here

see also: fileball diaspora
The Man
Vidmaster

I think I actually tried to download the AO conversion from there, but I think the AO Light installer must’ve been for PPC versions of OS X. I couldn’t get it to run. I’m fairly sure I tried every link there except maybe the actual original Rubicon installer.

Anyway, thanks again.