Mac vs Windows texture handling

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Re: Mac vs Windows texture handling

Post Jan 10th '19, 14:08

This is a different question, what compression algorithms does Aleph One do under the DDS container?

Flippant Sol

Post Jan 10th '19, 15:29

Flippant Sol wrote:This is a different question, what compression algorithms does Aleph One do under the DDS container?

DXT1-DXT5, but it is just passing them to the video card. It doesn't have the ability to compress textures itself, which is why the opac_type / mask-combining features in MML don't work with DDS.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 11th '19, 04:49

treellama wrote:DXT1-DXT5, but it is just passing them to the video card. It doesn't have the ability to compress textures itself, which is why the opac_type / mask-combining features in MML don't work with DDS.

Hm, is that possibly why I haven't been able to get premultiplied alpha to work properly? I'll have to try again with non-dds textures.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jan 11th '19, 13:30

It supports DXT2 and DXT4 if you want premultiplied alpha DDS. IIRC you don't need to set the MML attribute if you use those.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 11th '19, 22:58

Ah, maybe that's it then. The GIMP DDS plugin doesn't seem to support DXT2 or DXT4. I've tried setting glow_premultiply with PNGs, BMPs, DXT5-compressed DDS, uncompressed DDS; none of those work.

I guess other people use Aorta for DDSing? Oh! Which I see is something you made for A1. Won't compile, unfortunately - looks like it may not like WxWidgets 3.0? - something to sort out another day.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Previous

Return to Aleph One Discussion