Aleph One 1.3b2 crashes whenever I load certain levels

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Aleph One 1.3b2 crashes whenever I load certain levels

Post Feb 17th '19, 22:43

I don't know if it's a problem with the settings, clashing with other versions of the game or some other failure, but Marathon 1 starts playing the level music and crashes to the main menu again, regardless of what level I'm on.

I tested this with Arrival and Defend THIS. Both had the same result.

Marathon 2 and Infinity do it as well, but it appears to load the first map before freezing and crashing. M2 just as the Bobs teleport in and M3 after 1 second of the ship noises.

Even mods are not immune. I tested that with Eternal (not 1.2).

EDIT: In Marathon 1 at least, certain maps after Arrival like Bigger guns nearby and What goes up must come down seem to load fine, but not others. The two I mentioned are the only two I've tested.

Pathways into Darkness Aleph One is the only game that appears not to have this bug.

What is causing the bug and how do I fix it?

The end of the log says this:

------------------- Sun Feb 17 23:21:52 2019

while initializing preferences (preferences.cpp:2414)
Error at line 30: element of type input has no child of type binding (XML_DataBlock.cpp:118)
Error at line 31: element of type input has no child of type binding (XML_DataBlock.cpp:118)
Error at line 32: element of type input has no child of type binding (XML_DataBlock.cpp:118)
Error at line 33: element of type input has no child of type binding (XML_DataBlock.cpp:118)
Error at line 34: element of type input has no child of type binding (XML_DataBlock.cpp:118)
Error at line 35: element of type input has no child of type binding (XML_DataBlock.cpp:118)
(more errors not shown) (XML_DataBlock.cpp:120)

-------------------- Sun Feb 17 23:25:27 2019

No mapping found for controller "vJoy Device" (0300000034120000adbe000000000000) (joystick_sdl.cpp:67)
No mapping found for controller "vJoy Device" (0300000034120000adbe000000000000) (joystick_sdl.cpp:67)

I don't understand a word of it, except for the missing joystick commands though I have no idea what specific commands they are referring to. But those shouldn't matter and I never play Marathon on PC & Mac with controllers anyway so I don't need to map them. Why would missing key bindings cause the maps to fail the way they do?

UPDATE: I've just tested beta 1.3b2 on my Mac right now and I can confirm the Mac version suffers from the exact same bug. I have no idea why it is happening on either version and it pisses me off as it renders the new version (albeit a beta) of Aleph One completely unplayable. I can't find the any log files in the Mac aleph one folder in the user library nor either of the specific game ones, applications menu or library. Can someone PLEASE help me fix it? According to the GitHub issues page, I'm not the only one with this problem:

https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... issues/107

EDIT: Solved as of my intending to start Eternal Tour of Duty thread: the issue was that I am used to needing to skip chapter screens by double tapping the escape key. The latest beta is more responsive to keystrokes on the chapter screens so I only needed to click once, but I didn't notice.

What was happening is that my second keystroke carried over to gameplay and made Marathon think I was trying to quit the game. The guy on Gibhub likely had the exact same issue and like me, also didn't notice what was actually happening.

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Return to Aleph One Discussion