Aleph One 1.3b3

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
The Man
Vidmaster

Well, there’s also the option of using (or adapting) the XBLA HUD, which uses the whole screen while keeping some of the game info onscreen. Unfortunately, the XBLA HUD leaves out some crucial info about the player’s inventory. One of these days I’ll write my own HUD.

I didn’t know about manually editing the preferences though. Huh. I’ll try that.

ETA: Yep, that works. Thanks.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Flowers
Cyborg

I hate to be "that guy" but I'm not sure what I'm looking at and nothing I've tried yet has fixed it. I can certainly say that maps didn't look like this in the previous version of AO. I could be wrong but it seems as though this only happens in maps with somewhat long viewing distances, as most maps look normal, but other times....well this happens.

EDIT: Okay I think I have found the issue. This odd warping seems to happen when an untextured wall is visible in screen view. IDK why this 'hall of mirrors' effect happens in this iteration of AO and not previous versions, but w/e.
Attachments
TestingLevel_0002.png
Last edited by Flowers on Jul 16th '19, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Are you supposed to be able to set Level.stash values from within the HUD? When I attempt to do something like this in Triggers.draw()

Code: Select all

Level.stash['test'] = "test"
It just prints out:

[string "HUD Lua"]:82: no such index (lua_script.cpp:1118)
It can read the values out of the stash just fine, it only happens when trying to set a value. Not sure if that's supposed to be possible or not.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

So I've been having an issue where A1 stops receiving mouse clicks. A level will start just fine, but after a minute or so, mouse clicks stop registering. Then, after another minute or so, they start working again.

This only happens in windowed mode. I'll have to run some tests to see whether it does the same thing under a different window manager, and pinpoint what version started doing this, but people have been telling me I should report it for a while.

On a related note, A1 completely fails to recognise the 8th mouse button - or, rather, my 4th trackball button, but I guess my trackball uses button slots 4-7 to communicate movement and scrolling and then calls the 4th button button 8. Not a big issue for me, at the moment I'm binding it to Discord's push-to-talk, and I don't imagine many people use 4 button input devices and want all 4 buttons for A1, I'm just saying.

Oh, and while I'm here if anyone is interested, a month ago I submitted a PR that would restore M2's and M∞'s behaviour of playing music while the preferences dialogue and such are open, while still stopping it for the net lobby and films as Hopper pointed out was problematic with my earlier patch.
treellama
Vidmaster

I've been having lots of problems with mouse in SDL 2 versions as well. I've been through the new Aleph One code and it looks sound, so I think there are issues in SDL 2 itself. Try turning on/off raw mouse, see if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to track down bugs in SDL 2.

I'm not a particular fan of the intro music patch myself. Plus I doubt anyone understands that code well enough to make changes without introducing bugs--including Hopper and myself. It all needs to be rewritten.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

At least, if that's the case, then someone else is bound to fix it at somepoint. SDL2 isn't that small a project and a lot of people depend on it. Haven't hit it myself, but then I personally can't play games in windowed mode. Drives me up a wall.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:Are you supposed to be able to set Level.stash values from within the HUD?
No.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

Do those issues with mouse input happen on all platforms? I have not noticed input glitches on MacOS, except for sometimes not being able to skip chapter screens; but nothing that affects gameplay.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

treellama wrote:You're using scenery for precipitation? Why not effects?
AlephOne apparently dies due to an assertion upon reloading a game if there are more than 128 effects. Doesn't matter what your dynamic limits are set to.

Edit: Also apparently there's some weird behavior with effects where if you create a new effect and store it in a table, when you go to reference the object in the table later, it may be pointing at an invalid or different effect? I dunno, maybe I'm just tired but seems like a mess.
treellama
Vidmaster

lol

edit: file two bugs?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yeah I probably will if I can determine that I wasn't just being dumb yesterday.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Not sure I understand the reasons, but both issues were caused by using effects that disappeared after the animation ended. It seems to be working OK now.

I understand why effects stored in a table would no longer point to valid objects after the animation ended, but I don't get why they would be pointing to completely different effects over time. Don't really get the assertion either, especially if the effects are disappearing but oh well.
treellama
Vidmaster

The Lua effect object is just an index into the pool of effects. When an effect expires that slot is then eligible for a new effect. If the Lua invalidation system is broken it could definitely point to a different effect, in the same pool slot.
The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks for the explanation. The plugin is mostly behaving as intended now, but some effects end up frozen in place when loading from a saved game file. Is this a related issue? It seems to be the same effects each time (e.g., if you save and reload again, there don’t seem to be more frozen precipitation objects each time you reload, and saving and reloading repeatedly doesn’t seem to lead to a crash – I tried this about five or six times in a row). It’s not always precipitation effects frozen in place either; I noticed some Juggernaut missile contrails frozen at least once. (This also seems to happen in at least Aleph One 1.2.1 and 1.3b2 – I haven’t tested 1.3b3 yet.)

If you need a demonstration, my current “semi-official beta” of Eternal and current build of Chronicles both use the script. (Eternal is smaller right now because I’m using PNGs for Chronicles until I finalise all the HD textures.) I can put together something smaller that wouldn’t require a 350 MB download if that would be helpful, but I probably won’t be able to get to that until tonight.

(Eternal levels currently using precipitation: A Friend in Need, Unpfhorseen, Pissing on the Corporation, My Kingdom Pfhor a Horse, Burning Down the Corporation, Eat S’pht and Die, Second to Last of the Mohicans, The Incredible Hulk, Babylon X, The Near Side of Everywhere. Chronicles levels currently using precipitation: Cut Their Grain and Place Fire Therein, Revisions of the Past, Everyone I Went to High School With Is Dead, The Black Angel’s Death Song, Stranger Fruit, How to Disappear Completely.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

So, I'm trying to compile from source on my Mac. I grabbed the code via

git clone https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/alephone.git
I tried the command-line route first. I ran autogen.sh and then configure. Everything goes well until this:

checking for SDL2_ttf... no
configure: error: You need SDL2_ttf to run Aleph One.
Yet, when I check with Homebrew:

Warning: sdl2_ttf 2.0.15 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 2.0.15, run `brew reinstall sdl2_ttf`
When I tried the Xcode way, I get this 1 error:

'boost/iostreams/categories.hpp' file not found
The error is in

Sources/Files/Headers/FileHandler.h
I'm not sure what I'm missing/doing wrong here. I'm using Xcode 10.3 as I'm still on macOS 10.14.6.
treellama
Vidmaster

Here are some developer notes for compiling in mac OS: https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... oper-Notes

You should not need to install anything using Homebrew; instead, you need to copy all the frameworks into your /Library/Frameworks. There is a link to the binary frameworks, but if they are out of date, you can build from the frameworks repository, or copy the ones from the latest Aleph One beta.
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

So, I'm able to build it via Xcode. Everything goes well until I get this error message:

CodeSign /Users/eisnerguy1/alephone/PBProjects/Build/Products/Development/Aleph\ One.app (in target: Aleph One)
    cd /Users/eisnerguy1/alephone/PBProjects
    export CODESIGN_ALLOCATE=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/codesign_allocate

Signing Identity:     "-"

/usr/bin/codesign --force --sign - --entitlements /Users/eisnerguy1/alephone/PBProjects/Build/Intermediates.noindex/AlephOne.build/Development/Aleph\ One.build/Aleph\ One.app.xcent --timestamp=none /Users/eisnerguy1/alephone/PBProjects/Build/Products/Development/Aleph\ One.app

/Users/eisnerguy1/alephone/PBProjects/Build/Products/Development/Aleph One.app: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent: /Users/eisnerguy1/alephone/PBProjects/Build/Products/Development/Aleph One.app/Contents/Frameworks/webp.framework
Command CodeSign failed with a nonzero exit code

Not sure what I need to do here to fix the issue. I installed the frameworks as described in the link you provided.
treellama
Vidmaster

You either need a signing certificate, or you need to disable code signing.
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

I'm an idiot. I didn't copy all of the frameworks from the dmg. Once I did, everything built perfectly :D
Flippant Sol
Born on Board

Is there a Trello or patch notes for 1.3 final, and do you (Hopper and Treellama) have a roadmap to getting to release?