How do I install some of these plugins?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

How do I install some of these plugins?

Post Jul 29th '19, 18:22

Howdy, I've been trying to get some plugins downloaded from Simplici7y to work but unfortunately a lot of this stuff doesn't come with instructions. For instance, this:

http://simplici7y.com/items/pfhunbox-2

has M2 weapons for M1 that I'd like to try out, but....I have no idea where to put any of the files. There's no xml file so putting it in the plugins folder does nothing, and changing the environment setting options either does nothing or messes with the game so it won't run.

Help, please!
Echelon5

Post Jul 29th '19, 19:06

Well, I’d like to help, but I can’t even get the .zip file to extract on Windows 10. Sorry! I’d ask if that’s your problem, but it sounds like you at least got to the point of getting files extracted, so you must’ve gotten further than I did. I will note that sometimes A1 can just use .zip files as plugins, though – that’s actually how I usually install Vasara. But of course, the .zip has to actually contain a plugin.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 29th '19, 19:27

Just tried that, didn't work either! So weird, I wish these things came with instructions.
Echelon5

Post Jul 29th '19, 19:39

Well, like I said, the .zip has to actually contain a plugin, which it doesn’t sound like is the case here. Without being able to extract the actual files, I can’t provide anything more than guesswork. What’s actually in the folder when it extracts?
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 29th '19, 20:12

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.5 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Inside the M2 Weapons folder is:

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (2.99 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

When I try to use the shapes files for those either nothing happens or it won't load back to the main menu. :wacko:
Echelon5

Post Jul 29th '19, 20:53

Oh, yeah, the problem is probably that this is intended for M1A1, not the vanilla M1 files that come with Aleph One these days. You'll find that at https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/data-m1a1. I think you can just use those in place of the M1A1 files. You can't mix and match M1 and M1A1 content - it's two completely different file formats and the game is using very different code for them. M1A1 is basically just M2's engine with M1 as a paint job. This pack looks like it's just stripping some of the M1 paint off.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 29th '19, 23:23

Thanks a bunch, that was it!
Echelon5

Post Aug 4th '19, 23:51

Glad it worked. The many different releases of M1 are pretty confusing and there should probably be a guide somewhere. Maybe I’ll write one when my schedule clears up a bit.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Return to Aleph One Discussion