Help figuring out Marathon scenarios

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
TheCosmicMind
Spazeroid

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and I need a bit of help figuring out scenarios for Aleph One. I have downloaded a new mod called Eternal that everyone is saying is so great. Problem is, I cannot seem to find tutorials on how to play scenarios bc I have never used one before and there is no game application in the zip file that I could find. I'm also worried I did not install the scenario properly. I'm at a loss about what to do. If anyone can offer help I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks :)
Flowers
Cyborg

There are two things needed to play a scenario
1. The scenario data. This should be what you downloaded.
2. The Aleph One executable. This is what you probably don't have
You can get the Aleph One executable here https://alephone.lhowon.org/download.html Follow the instructions according to which operating system you're using. Hope that helps.
The Man
Vidmaster

Note that if you’re running Windows, you’ll need to either run a beta of Aleph One 1.3 or reduce the replacement texture quality in order to get Eternal to load with all the graphics plugins, which are strongly recommended since they greatly enhance the appearance of the scenario. The latest beta, 1.3ß3, is here; for some reason, I sometimes find 1.3ß2 loads it more reliably, though, and you can grab that here. Most of the time, you shouldn’t need to touch any other settings to run Eternal using Aleph One 1.3.

Should you still experience problems, or should you want to run the game using 1.2.1, then you’ll need to reduce replacement texture quality. To do that, you’ll want to go into Preferences -> Graphics -> Rendering Options -> Replacement Texture Quality -> Walls. Don’t bother with the extra mouse clicks for anything but Walls; none of the other game elements use up enough memory to affect performance. I have never had the game fail to load once I’ve reduced “Walls” to “Higher”.

For version 1.3 of Eternal, there’s a good chance we may just make the default textures smaller and then release the super-HD textures as an optional download. Live and learn.

Also, on at least MacOS and Windows, you can drag and drop the scenario folder onto the Aleph One application icon (I suspect this is probably possible with some distros of Linux as well). It took me a while before I learned this.

Anyhow, enjoy!
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
TheCosmicMind
Spazeroid

The Man wrote:Note that if you’re running Windows, you’ll need to either run a beta of Aleph One 1.3 or reduce the replacement texture quality in order to get Eternal to load with all the graphics plugins, which are strongly recommended since they greatly enhance the appearance of the scenario. The latest beta, 1.3ß3, is here; for some reason, I sometimes find 1.3ß2 loads it more reliably, though, and you can grab that here. Most of the time, you shouldn’t need to touch any other settings to run Eternal using Aleph One 1.3.

Should you still experience problems, or should you want to run the game using 1.2.1, then you’ll need to reduce replacement texture quality. To do that, you’ll want to go into Preferences -> Graphics -> Rendering Options -> Replacement Texture Quality -> Walls. Don’t bother with the extra mouse clicks for anything but Walls; none of the other game elements use up enough memory to affect performance. I have never had the game fail to load once I’ve reduced “Walls” to “Higher”.

For version 1.3 of Eternal, there’s a good chance we may just make the default textures smaller and then release the super-HD textures as an optional download. Live and learn.

Also, on at least MacOS and Windows, you can drag and drop the scenario folder onto the Aleph One application icon (I suspect this is probably possible with some distros of Linux as well). It took me a while before I learned this.

Anyhow, enjoy!
Thank you, I figured it out. You, my friend, deserve a pizza. Peace :D
The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks. I’ll probably get myself one tomorrow. [MGrin] Glad to be of help, and enjoy!
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge