Can't get the enhanced HUD to work in Aleph One 1.4 on Debian Linux

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Kaiyem
Spazeroid

Hi,
I've installed and had fun with Marathon on Aleph One 1.4 on Debian 10 Buster. I downloaded it from the source archive on Github and compiled it, and then used the Marathon data to start the game. At first I had no background music as well as no HUD, but I fixed that by installing another dependency for audio that wasn't listed for Linux. However, I have not been able to get the Enhanced HUD to work, which I would prefer because it can make my game fully widescreen (as opposed to the original HUD). However, when starting a game, this message shows up repeatedly when I run the program in my console:

[string "HUD Lua"]:300: attempt to index global 'pos' (a nil value) (lua_script.cpp:1187)

I thought it might be another dependency problem, so I installed the Lua interpreter and recompiled the engine, but no dice. Has anyone else run into this issue and/or been able to fix it?

Thanks in advance.