Floor and ceiling portals

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

How do you make A1 more 3D?
What about making floor and ceiling portals?
Clipping windows are only for walls and polygons can't connect floor and ceiling.
Teleporting from one polygon to another works.
Then seamless teleporting like you naturally fall to the next polygon.
There is a portal surface and an area behind the portal.
Make the portal surface like a liquid and render the destination camera on it.
Behind the portal the destination is rendered.
The player is teleported when the player is behind the portal.
The portal polygons would have to be the same shape.
Teleporting portals can work with walls.

Is it possible to add transformative portals to Aleph One?
The Man
Vidmaster

Possible? Sure, if you can implement it in C++, then it’s possible. Possible to do in a way that won’t require rewriting the existing map editors? I’m not certain I follow you in the slightest (some visuals would help), but if I’m reading correctly that you’re proposing new data types and rendering behaviour, then the answer is almost certainly no. Would it be accepted into the main Aleph One branch? Most likely it depends on the quality of the coding and whether it were something that would be widely used. Is this the best way to implement what you want? I don’t have the slightest idea, although what I think I’m reading reminds me heavily of how Build implemented liquids. Would anyone use it if it were implemented? That would depend on how easy it was to use, how versatile it was, and how helpful it would be for mapmaking. Will anyone actually do it? Be the change you want to see in the world.

I should note that there was a “bridges and balconies” branch some twenty-odd years ago that only ran on MacOS Classic, was only ever used for one scenario (Carlos on the Run, which was never actually finished, I believe because the “bridges and balconies” branch was never actually ported to modern systems), and basically turned into a meme that has discredited any attempts to add anything similar to the engine ever since. If I’m reading correctly that this is an attempt to create some sort of “bridges and balconies” equivalent, I don’t think that’s super likely to occur. I occasionally find cases where it would be useful to place two polygons on top of one another (rarely, ironically, for actual bridges or balconies), but most mapmakers for this engine have been doing without them for twenty-some-odd years, and I don’t think it’s super unlikely that they’ll be added anytime soon. But then, 60 fps was considered a meme until fairly recently, and now most people can’t imagine playing without it, so who knows. But you should be aware you’re facing an uphill battle if you want something like the “bridges and balconies” branch merged into Aleph One.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Qweasy908
Cyborg

I've always wanted to connect a polygon ceiling to a polygon floor while making maps.

It would be easier to go full 3D and make a Marathon clone engine.